Looking for advice - need stereo EQ Budget 2K (GBP)

Last response: in Home Audio
May 29, 2005 9:10:28 PM

I'm on the lookout for a stereo EQ, mainly for running my final mixes
through prior to releasing them to clients..

Ideally I'm looking for something FAT and WARM < insert appropriate humour
here if you must> with a high degree of coloration and from what I've
already sampled, the Manley Massive seems to be about perfect for what I
need..... anything else that you'd recommend I try and sample?

Ideally my max budget is GBP 2000

Thanks again,

JC
Anonymous
May 30, 2005 5:55:20 PM

John Clark <john.clark@paragonprintandnotthisbitpackaging.com> wrote:

>Ideally I'm looking for something FAT and WARM < insert appropriate humour
>here if you must> with a high degree of coloration and from what I've
>already sampled, the Manley Massive seems to be about perfect for what I
>need..... anything else that you'd recommend I try and sample?

The Manley would be the first thing I'd suggest trying... it is very
strongly colored and most of that coloration comes from the transformers.
It doesn't do the bass-pumping thing that some passive boxes do, which
you may or may not like.

Do you want also to be able to use it as an equalizer, or do you mostly
want that transformer inermodulation thickening? If that's all you want,
a pair of good coupling transformers might do much of what you want for
less money.
--scott

May 30, 2005 6:28:52 PM

Went with my guy and my ears and ordered the Manley. :-)

JC

"John Clark" <john.clark@paragonprintandnotthisbitpackaging.com> wrote in
message news:4299e874$0$38040$bed64819@news.gradwell.net...
> I'm on the lookout for a stereo EQ, mainly for running my final mixes
> through prior to releasing them to clients..
>
> Ideally I'm looking for something FAT and WARM < insert appropriate
> humour here if you must> with a high degree of coloration and from what
> I've already sampled, the Manley Massive seems to be about perfect for
> what I need..... anything else that you'd recommend I try and sample?
>
> Ideally my max budget is GBP 2000
>
> Thanks again,
>
> JC

May 30, 2005 7:03:18 PM

ahem, that should be went with my gut... <whoops>

"John Clark" <john.clark@paragonprintandnotthisbitpackaging.com> wrote in
message news:429b1410$0$38043$bed64819@news.gradwell.net...
> Went with my guy and my ears and ordered the Manley. :-)
>
> JC
>
> "John Clark" <john.clark@paragonprintandnotthisbitpackaging.com> wrote in
> message news:4299e874$0$38040$bed64819@news.gradwell.net...
>> I'm on the lookout for a stereo EQ, mainly for running my final mixes
>> through prior to releasing them to clients..
>>
>> Ideally I'm looking for something FAT and WARM < insert appropriate
>> humour here if you must> with a high degree of coloration and from what
>> I've already sampled, the Manley Massive seems to be about perfect for
>> what I need..... anything else that you'd recommend I try and sample?
>>
>> Ideally my max budget is GBP 2000
>>
>> Thanks again,
>>
>> JC

Anonymous
May 31, 2005 4:40:45 AM

news:D 7fk28$9ct$1@panix2.panix.com...
> John Clark <john.clark@paragonprintandnotthisbitpackaging.com> wrote:
> >
> >Ideally I'm looking for something FAT and WARM < insert appropriate
humour
> >here if you must> with a high degree of coloration and from what I've
> >already sampled, the Manley Massive seems to be about perfect for what I
> >need..... anything else that you'd recommend I try and sample?
>
> The Manley would be the first thing I'd suggest trying... it is very
> strongly colored and most of that coloration comes from the transformers.
> It doesn't do the bass-pumping thing that some passive boxes do, which
> you may or may not like.
>
> Do you want also to be able to use it as an equalizer, or do you mostly
> want that transformer inermodulation thickening? If that's all you want,
> a pair of good coupling transformers might do much of what you want for
> less money.
> --scott

What transformers would you recommend for the task?

Predrag
Anonymous
May 31, 2005 4:40:46 AM

Predrag Trpkov <predrag.trpkovNeSpamu@ri.htnet.hr> wrote:
>"Scott Dorsey" <kludge@panix.com> wrote in message
>>
>> Do you want also to be able to use it as an equalizer, or do you mostly
>> want that transformer inermodulation thickening? If that's all you want,
>> a pair of good coupling transformers might do much of what you want for
>> less money.
>
>What transformers would you recommend for the task?

Since the original poster is in the UK, I'd suggest he talk to Sowter,
get a bunch of different 1:1 types, and see what he likes the sound of.
--scott
May 31, 2005 4:54:31 AM

On 5/30/05 7:18 PM, in article d7g70j$lvs$1@panix2.panix.com, "Scott Dorsey"
<kludge@panix.com> wrote:
>> What transformers would you recommend for the task?
>
> Since the original poster is in the UK, I'd suggest he talk to Sowter,
> get a bunch of different 1:1 types, and see what he likes the sound of.
> --scott

I have a bunch of old card cage cards from I think SUBURBAN SOUND that are
pretty much a black-box opamp feeding an output transformer.
Trannys are sizable, heavy, shielded and have 4 identical windings and, on
the card, were 1-in from the amp and 3-out to the edge connector. ..IIRR
that trans is wirable any-way-you-want
(parlrel/series/iso/split/in/out/whatever).
-IS- there a specific -input- winding or can these indeed be just fiddled
with any-old-way?

Popping these across the oputput of the SOUNDTRACS solo with bypass
switches, thoughts on what'd be 'good'? Or are they best delegated to
non-critical distro split use?
Anonymous
May 31, 2005 4:54:32 AM

SSJVCmag <ten@nozirev.gamnocssj.com> wrote:
>On 5/30/05 7:18 PM, in article d7g70j$lvs$1@panix2.panix.com, "Scott Dorsey"
><kludge@panix.com> wrote:
>>> What transformers would you recommend for the task?
>>
>> Since the original poster is in the UK, I'd suggest he talk to Sowter,
>> get a bunch of different 1:1 types, and see what he likes the sound of.
>
>I have a bunch of old card cage cards from I think SUBURBAN SOUND that are
>pretty much a black-box opamp feeding an output transformer.
>Trannys are sizable, heavy, shielded and have 4 identical windings and, on
>the card, were 1-in from the amp and 3-out to the edge connector. ..IIRR
>that trans is wirable any-way-you-want
>(parlrel/series/iso/split/in/out/whatever).
> -IS- there a specific -input- winding or can these indeed be just fiddled
>with any-old-way?

Yes. You _can_ run them backwards, but if you do, they will behave differently
than you expect. For example, if it's an output transformer, it's designed
probably to deal with a fairly wide range out output loads without ringing.
If you run it backwards, it may require more careful loading.

Who makes the transformer and what is the part number?

>Popping these across the oputput of the SOUNDTRACS solo with bypass
>switches, thoughts on what'd be 'good'? Or are they best delegated to
>non-critical distro split use?

Hell if I know. As always, they'll probably do better at lower levels and
strapped for lower ratios, just like every other transformer made. I have
a box of military UTC/TRW G-series transformers that I bought for two bucks
each, which are rated for an 'operating range' of 300-5000 Hz on the can but
have great low end respnse and a nice-looking 1000 Hz square wave response.
You never know until you try it.
--scott
May 31, 2005 7:27:26 AM

On 5/30/05 10:45 PM, in article d7gj45$6c4$1@panix2.panix.com, "Scott
Dorsey" <kludge@panix.com> wrote:

> Who makes the transformer and what is the part number?

I KNEW that'd be the next logical step... We're still hardly moved (after 9
months!) and that box of project parts hasn;t been unearthed yet...
I'll find em and tell you.

>> Popping these across the oputput of the SOUNDTRACS solo with bypass
>> switches, thoughts on what'd be 'good'? Or are they best delegated to
>> non-critical distro split use?
>
> Hell if I know. As always, they'll probably do better at lower levels and
> strapped for lower ratios, just like every other transformer made.

Lower-ratios...
Assuming the deisigners knew what they were about, these were used on the
cards as 1-in 3-out and that's one choice using the pair wired-as-input on
the card as gospel
but I remember looking them up and all the windings were the same, making me
wonder about winding pairs A B C D:
INPUT A OUTPUT B-series-C-series-D
INPUT A-series-B OUTPUT C-series-D
INPUT A-parlel-B OUTPUT C-parlel-D
INPUT A-series-B SPLIT: OUTPUT-1 C OUTPUT-2 D
INPUT A-parlel-B SPLIT: OUTPUT-1 C OUTPUT-2 D
Anonymous
May 31, 2005 11:25:09 AM

John Clark wrote:
> I'm on the lookout for a stereo EQ, mainly for running my
final mixes
> through prior to releasing them to clients..
>
> Ideally I'm looking for something FAT and WARM < insert
appropriate
> humour here if you must> with a high degree of coloration
and from
> what I've already sampled, the Manley Massive seems to be
about
> perfect for what I need..... anything else that you'd
recommend I try
> and sample?

The secret to getting a FAT amd WARM sound from a good eq
lies in your adjustments to the eq, not the mere purchase of
some magic eq.
Anonymous
May 31, 2005 12:02:10 PM

Hi Scott,

Looking for the best of both worlds on this one :-)

JC

news:D 7fk28$9ct$1@panix2.panix.com...
> John Clark <john.clark@paragonprintandnotthisbitpackaging.com> wrote:
>>
>>Ideally I'm looking for something FAT and WARM < insert appropriate
>>humour
>>here if you must> with a high degree of coloration and from what I've
>>already sampled, the Manley Massive seems to be about perfect for what I
>>need..... anything else that you'd recommend I try and sample?
>
> The Manley would be the first thing I'd suggest trying... it is very
> strongly colored and most of that coloration comes from the transformers.
> It doesn't do the bass-pumping thing that some passive boxes do, which
> you may or may not like.
>
> Do you want also to be able to use it as an equalizer, or do you mostly
> want that transformer inermodulation thickening? If that's all you want,
> a pair of good coupling transformers might do much of what you want for
> less money.
> --scott

May 31, 2005 4:32:34 PM

Thanks for the input. :-)

> John Clark wrote:
>> I'm on the lookout for a stereo EQ, mainly for running my
> final mixes
>> through prior to releasing them to clients..
>>
>> Ideally I'm looking for something FAT and WARM < insert
> appropriate
>> humour here if you must> with a high degree of coloration
> and from
>> what I've already sampled, the Manley Massive seems to be
> about
>> perfect for what I need..... anything else that you'd
> recommend I try
>> and sample?
>
> The secret to getting a FAT amd WARM sound from a good eq
> lies in your adjustments to the eq, not the mere purchase of
> some magic eq.

Anonymous
May 31, 2005 4:32:35 PM

John Clark wrote:

>> John Clark wrote:
>>> I'm on the lookout for a stereo EQ, mainly for running
my final
>>> mixes through prior to releasing them to clients..
>>>
>>> Ideally I'm looking for something FAT and WARM < insert
appropriate
>>> humour here if you must> with a high degree of
coloration and from
>>> what I've already sampled, the Manley Massive seems to
be about
>>> perfect for what I need..... anything else that you'd
recommend I
>>> try and sample?
>>
>> The secret to getting a FAT amd WARM sound from a good eq
>> lies in your adjustments to the eq, not the mere purchase
of
>> some magic eq.

> Thanks for the input. :-)

Enjoy. Seriously though, maybe we should talk about how one
can have a good eq and still not get a FAT WARM sound.

For openers, some tracks, some recordings don't have a
harmonic structure that lends itself to FAT and WARM. After
all, a good eq can only change timbre. It can make submerged
frequencies audible, but it can't add frequencies that
aren't there.

If one wants a lot of frequencies to play around with, the
way to go is to add nonlinear distortion (e.g., a fuzz box
or other distorter) upstream, say in the feed from the bass
guitar. I'm wondering if some of these questions about
adding warmth, aren't stimulated by people who are trying to
mix with a guitar track that was taken straight off a direct
box.
Anonymous
May 31, 2005 7:37:42 PM

Hmmm, I tried the guitar via a DI with plugs ins once....hated it. Tried it
again to be sure, still hated it. Stole my guitar players Mesaboogie amp on
a permanent loan since that day.

Most of my requirements for "FAT" and "WARM" are for when I've got a
producer in who really doesn't know what he or she is asking for - or for
when bands insist on bringing songs that they've already 'half' recorded at
home and are in dire need of either wiping or some serious fixing...

> John Clark wrote:
>
>> "Arny Krueger" <arnyk@hotpop.com> wrote in message
> my final

> appropriate
> coloration and from
> be about
> recommend I
>>>
>>> The secret to getting a FAT amd WARM sound from a good eq
>>> lies in your adjustments to the eq, not the mere purchase
> of
>>> some magic eq.
>
>> Thanks for the input. :-)
>
> Enjoy. Seriously though, maybe we should talk about how one
> can have a good eq and still not get a FAT WARM sound.
>
> For openers, some tracks, some recordings don't have a
> harmonic structure that lends itself to FAT and WARM. After
> all, a good eq can only change timbre. It can make submerged
> frequencies audible, but it can't add frequencies that
> aren't there.
>
> If one wants a lot of frequencies to play around with, the
> way to go is to add nonlinear distortion (e.g., a fuzz box
> or other distorter) upstream, say in the feed from the bass
> guitar. I'm wondering if some of these questions about
> adding warmth, aren't stimulated by people who are trying to
> mix with a guitar track that was taken straight off a direct
> box.

Anonymous
May 31, 2005 7:37:43 PM

John Clark wrote:

> Hmmm, I tried the guitar via a DI with plugs ins
once....hated it.

Since that is a highly specfic example, who knows how global
its meaning is.

> Tried it again to be sure, still hated it. Stole my guitar
players
> Mesaboogie amp on a permanent loan since that day.

Perhaps the Mesa Boogie gave you that magic combination of
FR, NL distortion with a perhaps a bit of reputation thrown
in.

> Most of my requirements for "FAT" and "WARM" are for when
I've got a
> producer in who really doesn't know what he or she is
asking for - or
> for when bands insist on bringing songs that they've
already

It's possible that the fix doesn't exist, at least easily.

> half recorded at home and are in dire need of either
wiping or some
> serious fixing...

As you said...
June 5, 2005 1:50:33 AM

In article <MvGdnThZWqTy_QHfRVn-tg@comcast.com>, Arny Krueger
<arnyk@hotpop.com> wrote:

> After
> all, a good eq can only change timbre.

That's like saying spice can only change the taste of food.

Have you spent much time with a really great eq, e.g. a Rupert/Amek
Channel In the Box, or on the other extreme, a Pultec or a Summit?

A really wonderful eq in the right hands can do wonderful and very
powerful things.

As an aside, I would have told the original poster to try out a pair of
CIB's. You have to be a little patient with it and get used to it
because it is so powerful, but DAMN!

David Correia
Celebration Sound
Warren, Rhode Island

CelebrationSound@aol.com
www.CelebrationSound.com
Anonymous
June 5, 2005 12:55:30 PM

I ended up stretching my budget and getting Manley unit and have absolutely
no regrets in doing so :-)

JC

!