Sign in with
Your question

Windows 7 Pro server software sugguestion

Last response: in Windows 7
July 9, 2012 3:54:14 PM

I used the QNAP NAS for a while and I like the functions that it provided. (web server, ftps file server, VPN, online photo album, etc) However, I needed to use a separate window desktop in order to use crashplan for cloud backup. Now I wanted to build an AMD E350 win 7 server and replicate its function (including crashplan backup) and use it to watch movies occasionally as HTPC (mostly online streaming which E350 is more than capable of).

I would like to get some suggestion from the community as to what windows 7 software to use to replicate the function I had with the QNAP NAS.

I know Linux probably have more functions for my requirement but I need to run it under Windows 7 for various reasons.

The functions I need from this Windows 7 Pro server are:

-Webserver (So far I am planning to use WAMP)

-local file sharing (Planning to use build-in functions such as Homegroup)

-FTPS or SFTP file server for off site file access (FTPS or SFTP should be secure enough for my use and I think filezilla server should do. Let me know if there is better suggestion)

-VPN ( Plan to use the Build-in VPN)

-Photo Album (I would like to host my own albums and not upload to sites like facebook. The QNAP software allows multiple users with their own private album and general public album. It also able to automatically generate smaller sized image for the album, also easy folder management (add/drop folders). It is one of the main software that I will miss from the QNAP and hope there is a Windows 7 alternative.)
I just found this software called Gallery Server Pro which sounds like it will fit the bill.

Thank you
July 9, 2012 5:00:31 PM

COLGeek said:
You should check out Windows Home Server vice Win 7 to build your desired system. Go here for more info:

http://windows.microsoft.com/is-IS/windows/products/win...

You can run easily on the hardware you are planning for.

You can get for a paltry sum at Newegg:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Home Server 2011 does have a lot interesting server feature but I rather stick with Win 7 Pro for now as I already have a copy. Also I am a little concern about program compatibility as I do plan to use it as an occasional PC. Possibly light gaming.
Related resources
a c 230 $ Windows 7
July 9, 2012 5:08:13 PM

WHS 2011 uses the Server 2008/Win 7 core for its software base. Nearly all Win 7 software can run on it without any issues. Just set up a non-admin account and play away.

Still, understod on your desire to recycle the Win 7 Pro you have now.

How many users will be attaching to your "server"?
July 9, 2012 5:24:34 PM

Probably just 2 users with me being the primary one. The other user is usually offsite and will use the server to backup files and to view photo albums. The idea is just to have my files "in the cloud" and run my website (>10mb total and rare get access) without paying go daddy 50 bucks a year for web hosting. I could have everything run off my desktop but the power usage and noise is not ideal for almost 24/7 operation. That's why I used a QNAP NAS before deciding on a E350 build to get a little more power and features.
a c 230 $ Windows 7
July 9, 2012 5:34:19 PM

How much local storage do you intend to have? Also, does your ISP throttle your monthly usage?
July 9, 2012 5:49:05 PM

I have no idea if my ISP throttle. But I am not expecting high level of upload. Probably less than 10 GB a month outbound. Will look into OPENVPN, looks like it provide some speed and stability benefits.

Thanks
a c 230 $ Windows 7
July 9, 2012 5:50:34 PM

Who is your ISP? The reason I asked about throttling/limits was because you mentioned the desire to do backups from your external user.
July 16, 2012 1:51:58 PM

I have timewarner as ISP. External user only will use the server to backup important files which is not going to happen often. Maybe average 1 GB a month. So far my setup is IIS 7 as my webserver, Galleryserver Pro as my online album (which also uses IIS), and FTPS site created from IIS.

I am still learning how to use IIS properly but I can see everything will work well once I iron out all the issues.

I am trying to figure out how OPENVPN works because it looks it's a paid service which I need to use it through privatevpn.
!