Is there a difference in these 2 versions of 7?

usmdesigner

Distinguished
Sep 13, 2007
Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 64bit (Full) System Builder DVD 1 Pack

http://www.amazon.com/Windows-Premium-64bit-System-Builder/dp/B004Q0PT3I/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1341849958&sr=8-1&keywords=Microsoft+Windows+7+Home+Premium+SP1+64-bit+-+OEM

and

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 64-bit - OEM

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16832116986

Putting together a new PC and I'm wanting to get a SSD 128gb and also use a 500gb Sata for backup and picture storage. Would I be able to do that with either of these versions? I'm not sure what the deal is with the naming conventions.

Solution
OEM versions of Windows 7 are identical to Full License Retail versions except for the following:

- OEM versions do not offer any free Microsoft direct support from Microsoft support personnel

- OEM licenses are tied to the very first computer you install and activate it on

- OEM versions allow all hardware upgrades except for an upgrade to a different model motherboard

- OEM versions cannot be used to directly upgrade from an older Windows operating system

My advice is to buy the non oem version. If you ever decided to upgrade your mobo you would need to buy a new copy as the oem version is one per system.

VeNoM56k

Honorable
Jul 4, 2012
OEM versions of Windows 7 are identical to Full License Retail versions except for the following:

- OEM versions do not offer any free Microsoft direct support from Microsoft support personnel

- OEM licenses are tied to the very first computer you install and activate it on

- OEM versions allow all hardware upgrades except for an upgrade to a different model motherboard

- OEM versions cannot be used to directly upgrade from an older Windows operating system

My advice is to buy the non oem version. If you ever decided to upgrade your mobo you would need to buy a new copy as the oem version is one per system.

Solution