Boot Partition gone, lost OS

Mlongue1

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2003
The other morning, as I was shutting down my PC so I could go to work, I noticed that the PC had hung up, and I had to manually power down the PC. As I always do, I went ahead and brought it back up to make sure it was all right, and so the Scandisk would run and let me know if anything was wrong. When the PC came up, it went thru the Compaq splash screen, normal, and the CMOS signal flashed up in the right-hand corner, normal, and after that, it froze with the curser flashing up in the left-hand corner, black screen, definitely not normal. The HD is a Western Digital 80.0GB w/8MB buffer, almost brand new, set up in three partitions, C:(boot), D: and E: , and it has been running great, very fast, no problems whatsoever since I put it in last month or month before. All partitions have plenty of space on them. And now the C:(boot) partition appears to be completely empty, will not boot, will not even give any indication that it is still there. Other two partitions, D: and E:, appear completely unaffected, and their files are available like normal. C: drive can not even be opened in DOS, just gives the standard "Abort/Retry/Fail" DOS error messages, and nothing else. I do have a not-so-recent backup of this drive on the previous HD that I can use as a reinstall. PC is a Compaq Presario 5710 that is about 5 years old, AMD K6-2-3D 450 w/PC133 SDRam maxed out at 384MB. This thing runs very good. I have Norton AV 2003 and Norton Firewall on it, maxed out, updated, and set to scan MBR, etc, all the time. Western Digital disk utilities do not find any errors, but do not find the C: drive, either. Ultimate Boot Disk, which is a Boot Disk Program for PCs having trouble, says that a "drive has been removed from the system." I had downloaded some music overnight before the crash, but Norton AV has not found anything wrong with
anything on my PC, before or after the crash, and the Norton Firewall blocks every thing like that anyway. Partitions were set up with the WD Disk Utilities, and the OS was transferred with the Utilities also. I have not had any problems with this at all until this crash. If anyone out there has any ideas on what could have caused this and/or any ideas on what may help prevent it from happening again, please let me know. I am a Tech Support Analyst II, and I work on PCs at work and at home, and I have never seen this before. All help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks very much in advance, and have a nice day!

marneus

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
try an fdisk /mbr... if no good, do a surface scan of the HDD c:,
I thionk that the mbr could be ka-ka'd somehow...

Trust me I know what I'm doing... ooops, grab the cat...

DOOM

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2001
If you want to avoid it happening again, don't buy Compaq.

First, I agree you should try FDISK /MBR.

If you need to try and save the data that was on your C partition, look into a nice product called <A HREF="http://www.ontrack.com/easyrecovery/" target="_new">OnTrack EasyRecovery</A>. I've used it to recover 95% of the data on a drive I accidentally repartitioned. It does a low-level scan of the actual byte stream on the media and tries to rebuild filesystem information from what it finds.

On the other hand, if you can safely blow out that partition, just repartition that drive and reinstall...

-DOOM

<i>GeneticWeapon says: "Your days posting here have about come to an end... I promise you that by the time I'm done making my point to you, you wont want to be here anymore...you fuucking bitch."</i>