1. yes
2. performance depends on your computer

ME

the reviews look great snarge.
i think i would have to upgrade my intel mobo from an 850 to an 875 and
change power supply to at least 450watts.
good upgrade for next flight sim.
with 2.2 million transistors, i bet that card fricken rocks !!!!

:)

"snarge" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> 1. yes
> 2. performance depends on your computer

hi me -
I bet you're right!
But, as I suggested to Dave, it does depend a lot on what
computer you put it in.
regards - the ol' snarge --------------------------------

Dave

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2003

Snarge, I'm considering a computer upgrade.
recommendations?

Dave -
me & comcast (see below) has given quite a lot of thought
to what he would want in a 'puter to handle this card and
they look, to me, like a good set of guidelines.
Your budget for the upgrade will, of course, be the prime
factor in what you wind up with, and whether you plan to
build your own or purchase one all set to go.
I prefer Intel CPU's, but others love the AMD. Either way
it would be my opinion that 2ghz would be the least you
would want, and 3+ would be a good match for this video
card. Memory should be at least 1gb, or 2 for top perf.
I don't have a favorite brand, but I would stay away from
the lesser known names. Make sure you'll have a husky
power supply and adequate cooling.
good luck - s -----------------------------------------

Dave

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2003

Snarge, Thanks for the responce. Sounds like good advice
and gives me a direction to go. Thanks D PS: I've heard
of "over clocking" the MB and Video B. Thoughts?

ME

dave,

price list you need for components to run nvidia 6800 vid card :

Intel BOXD875PBZLK "Canterwood" Chipset Motherboard Same Day $154.99

choice of 2 different power suppies, you need at least 450 watts:

Vantec 520W Aluminum PS
500W Power Supply
Vantec presents Stealth Power Supply to give you the Power in Silence. Three
double-ball bearing fans inside with three-speed temperature control switch
to balance the cooling while it generates the power. more info»
Price: $ 139.99

Enermax EG 651-VE (FMA) 651W ATX Power Supply
500W Power Supply
Enermax EG 651-VE (FMA) 550W ATX Power Supply more info»
Price: $ 149.99

a nice cpu:

Intel Pentium 4 2.8GHz E , 1MB 800 FSB Socket 478 Prescott Hyper
Threading Boxed Processor
Intel Pentium 4 Socket 478

CPU Speed: 2.8GHz
Cache: 1MB
Bus Speed: 800 MHz
Retail Box Kit - CPU Fan & Heatsink Included
3 Year Limited Manufacturer Warranty more info»
Price: $ 184.99

memory X4 minimum:

Mushkin 256MB RAMBUS 184pin PC-800 - Lifetime Warranty Same Day
$119.99

all these prices were taken from www.outpost.com which is fryes
electronics. you could find it cheaper somewhere else.

i used all genuine intel mobo and cpu with mushkin memory made by samsung
(real stable) the 6800 vid card isn't availible from this web site yet. so
figure roughly another $400.

intel 875 motherboard ------------------------$154.99

500watt power supply-------------------------139.99

intel 2.8 cpu (conservative)------------------184.99

4 sticks of rambus=1064 ---------------------479.76

_____
$
959.93 + the 6800 vid card = roughly $1400

this would definetly be a kickass system ! a few more $ get a faster speed
CPU.

"Dave" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Snarge, Thanks for the responce. Sounds like good advice
> and gives me a direction to go. Thanks D PS: I've heard
> of "over clocking" the MB and Video B. Thoughts?

ME

my bad , here ya go, from :
http://www.intel.com/design/motherbd/bz/bz_mem.htm

Four 184-pin DDR SDRAM DIMM sockets
System Memory Features

The Desktop Board D875PBZ has four DIMM sockets and supports the following
memory features:

2.6 V (only) 184-pin DDR SDRAM DIMMs with gold-plated contacts
Unbuffered, single-sided or double-sided DIMMs with the following
restriction:
Double-sided DIMMs with x16 organization are not supported
4 GB maximum total system memory.
Minimum total system memory: 64 MB
ECC and non-ECC DIMMs supported
Serial Presence Detect
DDR400 and DDR333 SDRAM DIMMs
The following table lists the supported system bus frequency and memory
speed combinations.

To use this type of DIMM... The processor's system bus frequency must be...
DDR400 800 MHz
DDR333 800 or 533 MHz (Note)
Note: When using an 800 MHz system bus frequency processor, DDR333 memory is
clocked at 320 MHz. This minimizes system latencies to optimize system
throughput.

Notes:

When ECC Dimms are used, the Power-On Self Test (POST) will take longer to
complete.
Remove the AGP video card before installing or upgrading memory to avoid
interference with the memory retention mechanism.
To be fully compliant with all applicable DDR SDRAM memory specifications,
the board should be populated with DIMMs that support the Serial Presence
Detect (SPD) data structure. This allows the BIOS to read the SPD data and
program the chipset to accurately configure memory settings for optimum
performance. If non-SPD memory is installed, the BIOS will attempt to
correctly configure the memory settings, but performance and reliability may
be impacted or the DIMMs may not function under the determined frequency.
The following table lists the supported DIMM configurations.

DIMM Capacity Configuration DDR SDRAM Density DDR SDRAM Organization
Front-side/Back-side Number of DDR SDRAM Devices
64 MB SS 64 Mbit 8 M x 8/empty 8
64 MB SS 128 Mbit 8 M x 16/empty 4
128 MB DS 64 Mbit 8 M x 8/8 M x 8 16
128 MB SS 128 Mbit 16 M x 8/empty 8
128 MB SS 256 Mbit 16 M x 16/empty 4
256 MB DS 128 Mbit 16 M x 8/16 M x 8 16
256 MB SS 256 Mbit 32 M x 8/empty 8
256 MB SS 512 Mbit 32 M x 16/empty 4
512 MB DS 256 Mbit 32 M x 8/32 M x 8 16
512 MB SS 512 Mbit 64 M x 8/empty 8
1024 MB DS 512 Mbit 64 M x 8/64 M x 8 16

Note:
In the second column, "DS" refers to double-sided memory modules (containing
two rows of DDR SDRAM) and "SS" refers to single-sided memory modules
(containing one row of DDR SDRAM).

Updated: Tuesday, October 7, 2003

"Rambus on 875 chipset?" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
message news:5D9CA3EC-B136-41B7-AFAB-66A1CFB03BF3@microsoft.com...