DynDNS from behind mn500

Last response: in Networking
June 4, 2004 3:12:40 PM

I have a VPN set up behind an mn500 and I am using a DynDNS address to hit
it. The DynDNS update client I am using lets me go out to the web to resolve
the address or use a local URL with a password to get at the config screen
to get the outside IP. The problem I have is that sometimes the web method
fails (high traffic or whatever) and that the frequency of checking can
impact performance (plus I am using someone else's server a lot). The
problem with getting it locally is that it locks out any other user from
managing the router because it is always logged in (the updater software has
no notion of "click here to logout"). Is there a software protocol for
getting the exteral IP from the touter?

More about : dyndns mn500

Anonymous
June 4, 2004 3:38:07 PM

I'm using directupdate behind (well both an MN500 in the past and MN700
currently) with no problems (http://www.directupdate.net).

Might want to give that a try.

Alternatively, if you must get the password from logging into the router,
set the timeout to a very low time duration (i.e. 1 minute on the router),
and have the dyndns client check every one hour (that way you only lose one
minute of router login time every hour).

--
Jason Tsang - Microsoft MVP

Find out about the MS MVP Program -

"Andy Barnhart" <andyDOTbarnhart@ciincDOTcom> wrote in message
> I have a VPN set up behind an mn500 and I am using a DynDNS address to hit
> it. The DynDNS update client I am using lets me go out to the web to
resolve
> the address or use a local URL with a password to get at the config screen
> to get the outside IP. The problem I have is that sometimes the web method
> fails (high traffic or whatever) and that the frequency of checking can
> impact performance (plus I am using someone else's server a lot). The
> problem with getting it locally is that it locks out any other user from
> managing the router because it is always logged in (the updater software
has
> no notion of "click here to logout"). Is there a software protocol for
> getting the exteral IP from the touter?

Anonymous
June 4, 2004 5:24:13 PM

Actually... does the IP ever change? I'm using a dynamic
IP, but since my connection is always on, the IP never
changes and I just use it in the DNS server (my DNS host
also lets me update instantly if the IP ever changes --
unlike the 48hrs of some other hosts).

Anonymous
June 5, 2004 8:52:55 AM

Which one do you use?
I use DynDNS-Updater from nord-vision.de and i have the same exact problem
you're having.

!