Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Squeezing a Korg Triton Studio into a laptop?

Last response: in Home Audio
Share
May 30, 2005 8:24:57 AM

Archived from groups: rec.music.makers.synth,rec.audio.pro,comp.laptops,rec.music.makers.marketplace,comp.sys.mac.system (More info?)

I love my Korg Triton Studio 88 keyboard, but at 70 lbs., it's not
exactly designed for travel. In a few months, I'll go on a 5-country
trip. I'd love to have an instrument with me for impromptu music
sessions that approximates this Korg well; probably some sort of
lightweight laptop + MIDI keyboard combo.

For the 88-key MIDI keyboard, the best choice is probably the 13 lbs.
Fatar TMK-88 or one of those soft, spongy "roll it up" keyboards I saw
advertised. But what laptop should I get with what software to match
my Korg Triton's capabilities (awesome factory sounds, sequencing,
Akai CD-rom library reading, CD-burning, crashless operation) well?

Thank you for all the help in advance
George
May 30, 2005 8:24:58 AM

Archived from groups: rec.music.makers.synth,rec.audio.pro (More info?)

I use Reason2.5 live, which is excellent for live use . . . very
stable, easy to use and edit in real-time, etc. I use it with an
Evolution USB 4-octave controller keyboard, which I am very happy with,
but you seem to like a larger keyboard, which I understand.

The PC I have is a 1.6GHz Pentium 4 with 512Mb Ram, and XP-Pro, and it
runs Reason very well. I also have the (free) Mixere software for
playing longer audio files, which runs fine with Reason as long as you
start up Reason first.

Chris
( http://www.chris-melchior.com/strings.htm REAL strings for realistic
prices )
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
May 30, 2005 5:38:11 PM

Archived from groups: rec.music.makers.synth,rec.audio.pro,comp.laptops,rec.music.makers.marketplace,comp.sys.mac.system (More info?)

In article <mrdelurk-37C009.18243129052005@news.verizon.net>, Geo
<mrdelurk@hotmail.com> wrote:

> I love my Korg Triton Studio 88 keyboard, but at 70 lbs., it's not
> exactly designed for travel. In a few months, I'll go on a 5-country
> trip. I'd love to have an instrument with me for impromptu music
> sessions that approximates this Korg well; probably some sort of
> lightweight laptop + MIDI keyboard combo.
>
> For the 88-key MIDI keyboard, the best choice is probably the 13 lbs.
> Fatar TMK-88 or one of those soft, spongy "roll it up" keyboards I saw
> advertised. But what laptop should I get with what software to match
> my Korg Triton's capabilities (awesome factory sounds, sequencing,
> Akai CD-rom library reading, CD-burning, crashless operation) well?

On the Mac side, I think Logic Pro looks interesting
http://www.apple.com/logic/
which comes with nine synths, and one can extra plugins. You will have to
check with somebody else. Perhaps try rec.music.synth or some such group.
If you find out somethig, I would not mind to hear about it.

--
Hans Aberg
Related resources
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
May 31, 2005 3:37:15 PM

Archived from groups: rec.music.makers.synth,rec.audio.pro,comp.laptops,rec.music.makers.marketplace,comp.sys.mac.system (More info?)

On 2005-05-30 07:24:57 +0300, Geo <mrdelurk@hotmail.com> said:

> I love my Korg Triton Studio 88 keyboard, but at 70 lbs., it's not
> exactly designed for travel. In a few months, I'll go on a 5-country
> trip. I'd love to have an instrument with me for impromptu music
> sessions that approximates this Korg well; probably some sort of
> lightweight laptop + MIDI keyboard combo.
> For the 88-key MIDI keyboard, the best choice is probably the 13 lbs.
> Fatar TMK-88 or one of those soft, spongy "roll it up" keyboards I saw
> advertised. But what laptop should I get with what software to match my
> Korg Triton's capabilities (awesome factory sounds, sequencing, Akai
> CD-rom library reading, CD-burning, crashless operation) well?
>
> Thank you for all the help in advance
> George
>
Hi,

May check m-audio first, now they are owned by AVID, good or bad you
decide. As a TV tech guy, IMHO its good.

As they sometimes hide that excellently, let me remind AVID also owns
Pro Tools the industry standard.

As usual read with "PR Filter" as any product :) 

The thing about M Audio is, they are mostly a mac company.

http://www.m-audio.com/

Have a nice day

Ilgaz Ocal
ps: You sure checked Korg stuff at versiontracker and apple downloads yes?
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
June 3, 2005 7:07:20 AM

Archived from groups: rec.music.makers.synth,rec.audio.pro,rec.music.makers.marketplace,comp.sys.mac.system (More info?)

Geo wrote:
> I love my Korg Triton Studio 88 keyboard, but at 70 lbs.,
> it's not exactly designed for travel. In a few months, I'll go
> on a 5-country trip. I'd love to have an instrument with me for
> impromptu music sessions that approximates this Korg well; probably
> some sort of lightweight laptop + MIDI keyboard combo.
>
> For the 88-key MIDI keyboard, the best choice is probably the
> 13 lbs. Fatar TMK-88 or one of those soft, spongy "roll it up"
> keyboards I saw advertised. But what laptop should I get with
> what software to match my Korg Triton's capabilities (awesome
> factory sounds, sequencing, Akai CD-rom library reading, CD-burning,
> crashless operation) well?

As for the laptop itself: try to opt for an Intel Centrino. I
have a 2 Ghz Centrino laptop and it totally outperforms my 3.4
Ghz Pentium 4 desktop. It seems like audio applications like
Reason and software synths run very happily on a Centrino CPU...
heck if I know why.

I use an Edirol UA-5 USB-soundcard with my laptop, which works
very fine, although you might opt for a FireWire card if you
need more speed/tracks.

There are lots of options for software. If you like Korg,
you might try the Korg Legacy Collection. If you want a
sequencer - well, you have your Cubase, Sonar, Ableton Live,
Pro Tools and what not. Which one you prefer is mostly \
up to your requirements and personal taste.

RS
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
June 3, 2005 9:09:50 PM

Archived from groups: rec.music.makers.synth,rec.audio.pro,rec.music.makers.marketplace,comp.sys.mac.system (More info?)

How would one interface this Fatar TMK-88 keyboard to a PowerBook G4?
Could this keyboard work somehow with Garageband?
I have no knowledge in this area whatsoever, so I'd appreciate polite
informative replies, instead of sarcastic pinhead responses.

rtt

"Richard Smol" <jazzcat@dds.nl> wrote in message
news:1117793239.999398.203860@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com...
>
> Geo wrote:
> > I love my Korg Triton Studio 88 keyboard, but at 70 lbs.,
> > it's not exactly designed for travel. In a few months, I'll go
> > on a 5-country trip. I'd love to have an instrument with me for
> > impromptu music sessions that approximates this Korg well; probably
> > some sort of lightweight laptop + MIDI keyboard combo.
> >
> > For the 88-key MIDI keyboard, the best choice is probably the
> > 13 lbs. Fatar TMK-88 or one of those soft, spongy "roll it up"
> > keyboards I saw advertised. But what laptop should I get with
> > what software to match my Korg Triton's capabilities (awesome
> > factory sounds, sequencing, Akai CD-rom library reading, CD-burning,
> > crashless operation) well?
>
> As for the laptop itself: try to opt for an Intel Centrino. I
> have a 2 Ghz Centrino laptop and it totally outperforms my 3.4
> Ghz Pentium 4 desktop. It seems like audio applications like
> Reason and software synths run very happily on a Centrino CPU...
> heck if I know why.
>
> I use an Edirol UA-5 USB-soundcard with my laptop, which works
> very fine, although you might opt for a FireWire card if you
> need more speed/tracks.
>
> There are lots of options for software. If you like Korg,
> you might try the Korg Legacy Collection. If you want a
> sequencer - well, you have your Cubase, Sonar, Ableton Live,
> Pro Tools and what not. Which one you prefer is mostly \
> up to your requirements and personal taste.
>
> RS
>



----== Posted via Newsfeeds.Com - Unlimited-Uncensored-Secure Usenet News==----
http://www.newsfeeds.com The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World! 120,000+ Newsgroups
----= East and West-Coast Server Farms - Total Privacy via Encryption =----
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
June 3, 2005 9:48:40 PM

Archived from groups: rec.music.makers.synth,rec.audio.pro,rec.music.makers.marketplace,comp.sys.mac.system (More info?)

In article <1117793239.999398.203860@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com>,
"Richard Smol" <jazzcat@dds.nl> wrote:

> Geo wrote:
> > I love my Korg Triton Studio 88 keyboard, but at 70 lbs.,
> > it's not exactly designed for travel. In a few months, I'll go
> > on a 5-country trip. I'd love to have an instrument with me for
> > impromptu music sessions that approximates this Korg well; probably
> > some sort of lightweight laptop + MIDI keyboard combo.

> >.. what laptop should I get with
> > what software to match my Korg Triton's capabilities (awesome
> > factory sounds, sequencing, Akai CD-rom library reading, CD-burning,
> > crashless operation) well?
>
> As for the laptop itself: try to opt for an Intel Centrino.

On the Mac side, I suspect that one will need as much power one can get,
which would mean a G5, for the emulation to run smoothly. There is no such
laptop yet, so it would be a iMac G5, if it is portable enough.

--
Hans Aberg
June 3, 2005 9:48:41 PM

Archived from groups: rec.music.makers.synth,rec.audio.pro,rec.music.makers.marketplace,comp.sys.mac.system (More info?)

On Fri, 3 Jun 2005 10:48:40 -0700, Hans Aberg wrote
(in article <haberg-0306051948320001@c83-250-193-110.bredband.comhem.se>):

> On the Mac side, I suspect that one will need as much power one can get,
> which would mean a G5, for the emulation to run smoothly. There is no such
> laptop yet, so it would be a iMac G5, if it is portable enough.

I'm sure that the G4 PowerBooks will provide enough "horsepower" to run the
audio software. It's not *that* processor intensive that a 1.5 or 1.6 GHz
processor can't handle it...
--
Please, no "Go Google this" replies. I wouldn't
ask a question here if I hadn't done that already.

DaveC
me@privacy.net
This is an invalid return address
Please reply in the news group
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
June 3, 2005 10:16:05 PM

Archived from groups: rec.music.makers.synth,rec.audio.pro,rec.music.makers.marketplace,comp.sys.mac.system (More info?)

In article <0001HW.BEC5E78E004ABE0DF04075B0@news.readfreenews.net>,
me@privacy.net wrote:

> On Fri, 3 Jun 2005 10:48:40 -0700, Hans Aberg wrote
> (in article <haberg-0306051948320001@c83-250-193-110.bredband.comhem.se>):
>
> > On the Mac side, I suspect that one will need as much power one can get,
> > which would mean a G5, for the emulation to run smoothly. There is no such
> > laptop yet, so it would be a iMac G5, if it is portable enough.
>
> I'm sure that the G4 PowerBooks will provide enough "horsepower" to run the
> audio software. It's not *that* processor intensive that a 1.5 or 1.6 GHz
> processor can't handle it...

It is not only that, but what about updates? Those high speed G4 might be
minimums. -- I just suggest to check it out, before buying.

--
Hans Aberg
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
June 4, 2005 1:54:52 AM

Archived from groups: rec.music.makers.synth,rec.audio.pro,rec.music.makers.marketplace,comp.sys.mac.system (More info?)

In article <42a0c803$1_1@spool9-west.superfeed.net>, "Richard Tomkins"
<tomkinsr@istop.com> wrote:

> > There are lots of options for software. If you like Korg,
> > you might try the Korg Legacy Collection. If you want a
> > sequencer - well, you have your Cubase, Sonar, Ableton Live,
> > Pro Tools and what not. Which one you prefer is mostly \
> > up to your requirements and personal taste.

> How would one interface this Fatar TMK-88 keyboard to a PowerBook G4?
> Could this keyboard work somehow with Garageband?
> I have no knowledge in this area whatsoever, so I'd appreciate polite
> informative replies, instead of sarcastic pinhead responses.

Most of the software mentioned above, if not all, seems to exist on Mac OS
X as well. Looking at the Korg demo, it seems that one needs a MIDI
keyboard with a USB connector. It seems not unlikely that the other
software have the same requirement. But check first.

Here are the links I found, so you don't have to Google them, as I did:
http://korg.com/gear/info.asp?A_PROD_NO=TRITONLE
http://www.korg.co.uk/products/pro_keyboard/legacy/pk_l...
http://www.cubase.com/home/
http://www.cakewalk.com/
http://www.digidesign.com/ptfree/
http://www.ableton.com/

--
Hans Aberg
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
June 4, 2005 2:39:27 AM

Archived from groups: rec.music.makers.synth,rec.audio.pro,rec.music.makers.marketplace,comp.sys.mac.system (More info?)

Hans Aberg wrote:
> In article <0001HW.BEC5E78E004ABE0DF04075B0@news.readfreenews.net>,
> me@privacy.net wrote:
>
>
>>On Fri, 3 Jun 2005 10:48:40 -0700, Hans Aberg wrote
>>(in article <haberg-0306051948320001@c83-250-193-110.bredband.comhem.se>):
>>
>>
>>>On the Mac side, I suspect that one will need as much power one can get,
>>>which would mean a G5, for the emulation to run smoothly. There is no such
>>>laptop yet, so it would be a iMac G5, if it is portable enough.
>>
>>I'm sure that the G4 PowerBooks will provide enough "horsepower" to run the
>>audio software. It's not *that* processor intensive that a 1.5 or 1.6 GHz
>>processor can't handle it...
>
>
> It is not only that, but what about updates? Those high speed G4 might be
> minimums. -- I just suggest to check it out, before buying.
>
No problems running multiple softsynths on my ibook (within reason)
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
June 4, 2005 3:47:43 AM

Archived from groups: rec.music.makers.synth,rec.audio.pro,rec.music.makers.marketplace,comp.sys.mac.system (More info?)

> > > There are lots of options for software. If you like Korg,
> > > you might try the Korg Legacy Collection. If you want a
> > > sequencer - well, you have your Cubase, Sonar, Ableton Live,
> > > Pro Tools and what not. Which one you prefer is mostly \
> > > up to your requirements and personal taste.
>
> > How would one interface this Fatar TMK-88 keyboard to a PowerBook G4?
> > Could this keyboard work somehow with Garageband?
> > I have no knowledge in this area whatsoever, so I'd appreciate polite
> > informative replies, instead of sarcastic pinhead responses.
>
> Most of the software mentioned above, if not all, seems to exist on Mac OS
> X as well. Looking at the Korg demo, it seems that one needs a MIDI
> keyboard with a USB connector. It seems not unlikely that the other
> software have the same requirement. But check first.

You can also buy a MIDI<-->USB dongle if you already have a
traditional MIDI keyboard that you like. Example:

http://store.yahoo.com/topdjgear/edumusbmiin.html
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
June 4, 2005 4:54:55 AM

Archived from groups: rec.music.makers.synth,rec.audio.pro,rec.music.makers.marketplace,comp.sys.mac.system (More info?)

Thankyou very much for the URL's.

rtt
"Hans Aberg" <haberg@math.su.se> wrote in message
news:haberg-0306052355000001@c83-250-193-110.bredband.comhem.se...
> In article <42a0c803$1_1@spool9-west.superfeed.net>, "Richard Tomkins"
> <tomkinsr@istop.com> wrote:
>
> > > There are lots of options for software. If you like Korg,
> > > you might try the Korg Legacy Collection. If you want a
> > > sequencer - well, you have your Cubase, Sonar, Ableton Live,
> > > Pro Tools and what not. Which one you prefer is mostly \
> > > up to your requirements and personal taste.
>
> > How would one interface this Fatar TMK-88 keyboard to a PowerBook G4?
> > Could this keyboard work somehow with Garageband?
> > I have no knowledge in this area whatsoever, so I'd appreciate polite
> > informative replies, instead of sarcastic pinhead responses.
>
> Most of the software mentioned above, if not all, seems to exist on Mac OS
> X as well. Looking at the Korg demo, it seems that one needs a MIDI
> keyboard with a USB connector. It seems not unlikely that the other
> software have the same requirement. But check first.
>
> Here are the links I found, so you don't have to Google them, as I did:
> http://korg.com/gear/info.asp?A_PROD_NO=TRITONLE
> http://www.korg.co.uk/products/pro_keyboard/legacy/pk_l...
> http://www.cubase.com/home/
> http://www.cakewalk.com/
> http://www.digidesign.com/ptfree/
> http://www.ableton.com/
>
> --
> Hans Aberg



----== Posted via Newsfeeds.Com - Unlimited-Uncensored-Secure Usenet News==----
http://www.newsfeeds.com The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World! 120,000+ Newsgroups
----= East and West-Coast Server Farms - Total Privacy via Encryption =----
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
June 4, 2005 3:14:46 PM

Archived from groups: rec.music.makers.synth,rec.audio.pro,rec.music.makers.marketplace,comp.sys.mac.system (More info?)

There is a post to comp.sys.mac, that Apple will switch from IBM to Intel
chips. It cites
http://news.com.com/Apple+to+ditch+IBM%2C+switch+to+Int...
5731398.html

The article says that the announcement is expected Monday at Apple's
Worldwide Developer Conference in San Francisco, at which Chief Executive
Steve Jobs is giving the keynote speech.

--
Hans Aberg
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
June 5, 2005 10:21:49 PM

Archived from groups: rec.music.makers.synth,rec.audio.pro,rec.music.makers.marketplace,comp.sys.mac.system (More info?)

In article <haberg-0406051314520001@c83-250-193-72.bredband.comhem.se>,
haberg@math.su.se (Hans Aberg) wrote:

> There is a post to comp.sys.mac, that Apple will switch from IBM to Intel
> chips.

A wise remark from the article:
"If they actually do that, I will be surprised, amazed and concerned," said
Insight 64 analyst Nathan Brookwood. "I don't know that Apple's market
share can survive another architecture shift. Every time they do this, they
lose more customers".

Yeah... anyone remembers the giant mess when they switched to PowerPC
chips? A supposedly smooth switch, it was everyting but. Even a plain
chipless switch, like going from HFS to HFS extended caused me
troubleshooting hours totaling into months. OSX? I'm only starting to get
it to work now, 4 years after I bought this G4. (The culprit: lack of
48-bit IDE addressing on the main board.) While Apple's seems to think of
every possibility while designing software, on the hardware engineering
side they tend to leave quite a few threads hanging at every switch. Ooops,
I'm rambling off-topic in my own thread.

Back on the topic: someone emailed me to say, Korg has a PCI card called
Oasys, that is like a Triton on a card. It doesn't work under OSX and Win
XP, only OS9 and pre-XP Windows, meaning I could get a cheaper laptop to
run it, if I can only find one that takes a PCI card like this. Anyone
tried it yet?
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
June 6, 2005 2:29:02 PM

Archived from groups: rec.music.makers.synth,rec.audio.pro,rec.music.makers.marketplace,comp.sys.mac.system (More info?)

On 2005-06-03 20:48:40 +0300, haberg@math.su.se (Hans Aberg) said:

> In article <1117793239.999398.203860@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com>,
> "Richard Smol" <jazzcat@dds.nl> wrote:
>
>> Geo wrote:
>>> I love my Korg Triton Studio 88 keyboard, but at 70 lbs.,
>>> it's not exactly designed for travel. In a few months, I'll go
>>> on a 5-country trip. I'd love to have an instrument with me for
>>> impromptu music sessions that approximates this Korg well; probably
>>> some sort of lightweight laptop + MIDI keyboard combo.
>
>>> .. what laptop should I get with
>>> what software to match my Korg Triton's capabilities (awesome
>>> factory sounds, sequencing, Akai CD-rom library reading, CD-burning,
>>> crashless operation) well?
>>
>> As for the laptop itself: try to opt for an Intel Centrino.
>
> On the Mac side, I suspect that one will need as much power one can get,
> which would mean a G5, for the emulation to run smoothly. There is no such
> laptop yet, so it would be a iMac G5, if it is portable enough.

Hi,

If you like watching the DVD extras like me, just point to the "how
music was made" etc.

The processor power is not relevant. I saw Powerbooks handling a 90
person orchestra realtime recording.

Its all about the selection of PROFESSIONAL devices and the SOFTWARE
attached to that mac. Also put memory whatever maximum level that
computer can handle.

First orders of 8 gig G5s generally come from Movie,Audio studios and
DTP professionals.

Some studios use 36 bit 220 Khz maniac level of recording, their
inventory? Couple of desktop g4s but stuff like M Audio plugged in.

Use what holywood uses, they know the stuff ;) 

Centrino. Come on. (its to the parent post of yours, no mistake)

Ilgaz Ocal
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
June 6, 2005 2:29:03 PM

Archived from groups: rec.music.makers.synth,rec.audio.pro,rec.music.makers.marketplace,comp.sys.mac.system (More info?)

In article <3gic9uFcip57U2@individual.net>, Ilgaz Ocal <Ilgaz@spamcop.net>
wrote:

> If you like watching the DVD extras like me, just point to the "how
> music was made" etc.
>
> The processor power is not relevant. I saw Powerbooks handling a 90
> person orchestra realtime recording.

Could it synthesize a 90 person orchestra as well? No polemics; just
interested where the capacity limit goes. Programs like Finale can emulate
a large orchestra, but it is probably not on an instrument to instrument
basis.

> Its all about the selection of PROFESSIONAL devices and the SOFTWARE
> attached to that mac. Also put memory whatever maximum level that
> computer can handle.

I thought that this might be important too. UNIX always uses virtual
memory, and one would not want to have a memory paging swap in the middle
of a live performance. It would be interesting to hear more details about
pro hardware setups.

--
Hans Aberg
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
June 7, 2005 3:32:32 PM

Archived from groups: rec.music.makers.synth,rec.audio.pro,rec.music.makers.marketplace,comp.sys.mac.system (More info?)

DaveC <me@privacy.net> wrote:

> I'm sure that the G4 PowerBooks will provide enough "horsepower" to run the
> audio software. It's not *that* processor intensive that a 1.5 or 1.6 GHz
> processor can't handle it...

You think so? My dual G5 runs 13 Ambience reverbs (default preset); at
14 it conks out. In another benchmark, I can play simultaneous 16 notes
of the Tassman Bassmosphere preset before Logic gives up.

Some music software is *seriously* processor intensive. And unlike
Photoshop, where you can go for coffee if something takes a long time to
compute, with music you need the result in realtime.

V.
--
email: lastname at cs utk edu
homepage: www cs utk edu tilde lastname
!