Anyone have or working on Car PC installation??

farrow099

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2006
I remember reading an article here a long time ago about in car pc installations and such...

The community has grown quite a bit since then with forums like "mp3car.com" and free frontends like media engine. (http://www.mediaengine.org/)

Not to mention the ability to transfer files anywhere + anytime via WiFi!

I personally got into it because it was considerably cheaper (if you are willing to put in the work) and more versatile (a pc can do anything!) than commercially available touchscreen navigation/music systems...

~ Some pics of my own install ;) http://members.cox.net/farrow099/CarputerShots.GIF

NTENUF

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2006
I really like your car pc set-up. I am wanting to build my own car PC entertainment system but I don't have a lot of electrical knowledge when it comes to AC/DC conversions, car eletronic to pc electronic power converters, power supply selection for the pc.

With that said, my reason for the reply is this, I realize I am going to have to learn a lot about electronics and setups but my time is limited since I have two small children I give most my free time to.

Finally, I am looking for some help. Do you know of anywhere on the internet or do you yourself have something that gives a good tutorial on start-to-finish car pc installation instructions for people who know what they want but not necessarily know all that is needed to get the system I desire? Tutorials or parts list. Anything I can use to help build the system I would like to have. I have around 300GB of mp3s I would like to make available when cruising to work or around town and I would like to play DVDs for my boys when they are with me. Basically, I would like to hook up the existing speaker system to a pc through an amplifier to sound card, USB everything else - 300GB USB media hard drive - 8GB USB flash hard drive with operating system on it-LCD touchscreen for selecting what I want from the captain's chair- USB 10" display for hanging in the back for my boys

Your help is greatly appreciated!

nugundam93

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2006
good thing i managed to find this thread. i was planning to put on on ours too, and integrate a backup camera (or two) to it as well. thanks guys and great work!