Amp for Tannoy Reveals?

Last response: in Home Audio
Share
May 30, 2005 8:55:27 AM

I posted on rec.audio.opinion a few hours ago, but the more I read, the
more it seems like I should ask for advice on this group. You might
remember me asking about $300 studio monitors a few days ago. With the
the passive route, and bought some Tannoy Reveals. Now it's time to
buy some amplification. The speakers ate up more than half of my
budget, so I'm looking in the $100-$150 price range. The source will
be my computer (Chaintech AV-710 soundcard - cheap, but respected).
An integrated amplifier seems to be the natural solution, but I don't
really need source selection capabilities, so I'm considering just
getting an amp. On this group, Haflers seem to be the popular choice
for the Reveals. I might be able to stretch my budget and get a used
P1000, P1500 or P3000 if it's the best option. So, I have three
questions that I hope the members of the group will be kind enough to
answer:

1. Will I have any problems going directly from my soundcard to an
amplifier?
2. If I get an amp that only has balanced inputs, will that be a
problem?
3. Will a Hafler amp give me better performance than say, the
AudioSource AMP Two or similar?

Again, I thank you for any advice you would be willing to give.

-Greg

More about : amp tannoy reveals

Anonymous
May 30, 2005 10:55:32 AM

#1) yes, how will you quikly turn the volume down
#2) do you think that your price range will get you a good amp with
pro quality balance inputs?
does your card have balanced out??

ebay nad integrated amp, or an early hafler dh 200 or dh 220.
May 30, 2005 11:14:46 AM

1 - I'm looking at amplifiers that have level controls on the front,
which I imagine I could manipulate faster than it currently takes me to
find my remote control.

2 - It looks like it's possible to get a P1500 on ebay for $150 (if
you're lucky/persistent). My card does not have balanced outputs, which
is why I'm looking into the feasibility of connecting it to the
balanced inputs of an amplifier.

The early Haflers you listed don't seem to be as common on ebay as the
newer models. Is there any reason I should seek them out?

-Greg
Related resources
May 30, 2005 11:47:06 AM

Thank you for correcting me on this. I suppose there's always the amp's
power switch if my computer goes nuts and I need to cut the sound.
Otherwise, it looks like I'm using the windows volume control (which I
admit is a bit of a pain, but if it will save me the cost of a preamp,
I can live with that).

-Greg
Anonymous
May 30, 2005 4:16:34 PM

In article <1117454127.176780.267220@g44g2000cwa.googlegroups.com> kneeache@hotmail.com writes:

> 1. Will I have any problems going directly from my soundcard to an
> amplifier?

No problems, but you might have too look around for a ready-made cable
that has the correct plugs on both ends, or use adapters.

> 2. If I get an amp that only has balanced inputs, will that be a
> problem?

No, but it will take a little more effort to find, adapt, or build the
proper cable.

> 3. Will a Hafler amp give me better performance than say, the
> AudioSource AMP Two or similar?

I don't know what an AudioSource AMP Two (or similar) is, but a
Halfler amplifier is a reasonable choice for driving speakers such as
the Reveals. First, though, consider your budget and your application.
Hafler is good, but I'm guessing that for your applications (given
your small budget) you won't find a difference in amplifiers in your
price range that's worth paying a significant amount for. You can
start out with a $10 yard sale stereo receiver and probably do OK.

May 30, 2005 6:36:12 PM

Greg wrote:

> 1 - I'm looking at amplifiers that have level controls on the front,
> which I imagine I could manipulate faster than it currently takes me to
> find my remote control.

The knobs on the front of the haflers are not full volume controls; they
are amp sensitivity controls that offer up to 15 dB of range.

> 2 - It looks like it's possible to get a P1500 on ebay for $150 (if
> you're lucky/persistent). My card does not have balanced outputs, which
> is why I'm looking into the feasibility of connecting it to the
> balanced inputs of an amplifier.

It'll work fine unless there is lots of RFI in your spot.

--
ha
Anonymous

In message <1117454127.176780.267220@g44g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>, Greg
<kneeache@hotmail.com> writes
>I decided to go
>the passive route, and bought some Tannoy Reveals. Now it's time to
>buy some amplification. The speakers ate up more than half of my
>budget, so I'm looking in the $100-$150 price range.

I use a Samson Servo 170 with my Reveals, works well, sounds good.

http://www.topdjgear.com/sase170poam.html

--
Regards
Andy Hart

Hi Greg

"Greg" <kneeache@hotmail.com> ha scritto nel messaggio
>I posted on rec.audio.opinion a few hours ago, but the more I read, the
> more it seems like I should ask for advice on this group. You might
> remember me asking about $300 studio monitors a few days ago. With the
> the passive route, and bought some Tannoy Reveals. Now it's time to
> buy some amplification. The speakers ate up more than half of my
> budget, so I'm looking in the $100-$150 price range. The source will
> be my computer (Chaintech AV-710 soundcard - cheap, but respected).
> An integrated amplifier seems to be the natural solution, but I don't
> really need source selection capabilities, so I'm considering just
> getting an amp. On this group, Haflers seem to be the popular choice
> for the Reveals. I might be able to stretch my budget and get a used
> P1000, P1500 or P3000 if it's the best option. So, I have three
> questions that I hope the members of the group will be kind enough to
> answer:
>
> 1. Will I have any problems going directly from my soundcard to an
> amplifier?

Yes you will have: you will have your converters running at -60 db into the
amplifier....
You need a stereo preamp.
Of course an integrated amplifier will do the job well.

> 2. If I get an amp that only has balanced inputs, will that be a
> problem?

No problem, just get a pair of balanced-unbalanced cables...

> 3. Will a Hafler amp give me better performance than say, the
> AudioSource AMP Two or similar?

Not too much.

> Again, I thank you for any advice you would be willing to give.
>
> -Greg

Anonymous
May 30, 2005 8:48:46 PM

"plokmichael" wrote ...
> "Greg" ha scritto ...
>> 1. Will I have any problems going directly from my soundcard to an
>> amplifier?
>
> Yes you will have: you will have your converters running at -60 db
> into the amplifier....
> You need a stereo preamp.
> Of course an integrated amplifier will do the job well.

Huh? Computer sound cards typically have at least consumer
line-level output levels (more like -10dB). A reasonably good
match for most domestic power amps.
Anonymous
May 30, 2005 9:21:56 PM

"Greg" <kneeache@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> [snip] On this group, Haflers seem to be the popular choice
> for the Reveals. I might be able to stretch my budget and get a used
> P1000, P1500 or P3000 if it's the best option. So, I have three
> questions that I hope the members of the group will be kind enough to
> answer:
>
> 1. Will I have any problems going directly from my soundcard to an
> amplifier?

Only that you'll need to do your volume adjustments using the level controls
on the amplifier. These aren't typically ganged, which is a pain. You may
want to rig up an external level control of some sort.

> 2. If I get an amp that only has balanced inputs, will that be a
> problem?

The Haflers, at least, have inputs that can be used either balanced (XLR,
TRS) or unbalanced (TS).

> 3. Will a Hafler amp give me better performance than say, the
> AudioSource AMP Two or similar?

Probably. Also, almost certainly, better reliability.

Peace,
Paul
Anonymous
May 30, 2005 9:21:57 PM

Paul Stamler wrote:
> "Greg" <kneeache@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>
>> Will I have any problems going directly from my soundcard to an
>> amplifier?
>

> Only that you'll need to do your volume adjustments using the level controls
> on the amplifier. These aren't typically ganged, which is a pain. You may
> want to rig up an external level control of some sort.

Or at least a mute switch. Booting/rebooting a computer with amplifier
levels at normal listening level is a quick route to fried tweeters.
Anonymous
May 30, 2005 9:27:00 PM

> Greg wrote:
>
> > 1 - I'm looking at amplifiers that have level controls on the front,
> > which I imagine I could manipulate faster than it currently takes me to
> > find my remote control.
>
> The knobs on the front of the haflers are not full volume controls; they
> are amp sensitivity controls that offer up to 15 dB of range.

At least on the P4000, this isn't the case; the volume controls go all the
way to silence. I just went and tried it.

Peace,
Paul
Anonymous
May 30, 2005 10:38:02 PM

Paul Stamler wrote:

> "hank alrich"...
> > Greg wrote:

> > > 1 - I'm looking at amplifiers that have level controls on the front,
> > > which I imagine I could manipulate faster than it currently takes me to
> > > find my remote control.

> > The knobs on the front of the haflers are not full volume controls; they
> > are amp sensitivity controls that offer up to 15 dB of range.

> At least on the P4000, this isn't the case; the volume controls go all the
> way to silence. I just went and tried it.

Thanks, Paul. Not so with a P3000. And the P3000 mand the P1500 share a
manual.

P4000 is passively cooled, or not?

--
ha
Anonymous

> P4000 is passively cooled, or not?

Passively.

Peace,
Paul
Anonymous
May 31, 2005 7:00:49 AM

Greg wrote:

> I posted on rec.audio.opinion a few hours ago

You have my comisserations.

Abandon all hope ye who enter there ! A bunch of bonkers loonies. Leave it
a while before making any purchase decisions until your brain may have
recovered.

Graham
Anonymous
May 31, 2005 7:03:26 AM

plokmichael wrote:

> Hi Greg
>
> "Greg" <kneeache@hotmail.com> ha scritto nel messaggio
>
> > 1. Will I have any problems going directly from my soundcard to an
> > amplifier?
>
> Yes you will have: you will have your converters running at -60 db into the
> amplifier....

Utter rubbish - I'd ignore anything else this poster says.

PC soundcard line outs are ideally matched to consumer power amps.

Graham
Anonymous
May 31, 2005 7:04:49 AM

Andy Hart wrote:

> In message <1117454127.176780.267220@g44g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>, Greg
> <kneeache@hotmail.com> writes
> >I decided to go
> >the passive route, and bought some Tannoy Reveals. Now it's time to
> >buy some amplification. The speakers ate up more than half of my
> >budget, so I'm looking in the $100-$150 price range.
>
> I use a Samson Servo 170 with my Reveals, works well, sounds good.
>
> http://www.topdjgear.com/sase170poam.html

Samson ! ?

Mentioning that name is like swearing in here. The fact that you show a 'DJ'
link explains all.

Graham
Anonymous
May 31, 2005 7:06:16 AM

Greg wrote:

> 1 - I'm looking at amplifiers that have level controls on the front,
> which I imagine I could manipulate faster than it currently takes me to
> find my remote control.
>
> 2 - It looks like it's possible to get a P1500 on ebay for $150 (if
> you're lucky/persistent). My card does not have balanced outputs, which
> is why I'm looking into the feasibility of connecting it to the
> balanced inputs of an amplifier.
>
> The early Haflers you listed don't seem to be as common on ebay as the
> newer models. Is there any reason I should seek them out?

Considered an old NAD 3020 ?

Graham
Anonymous
May 31, 2005 7:06:17 AM

In article <429BC698.5299BC02@hotmail.com>,
Pooh Bear <rabbitsfriendsandrelations@hotmail.com> wrote:

> Considered an old NAD 3020 ?
>
> Graham

I tried using a 3020 and it was not all that great. So far, the best
contender in my rig has been a McIntosh 2105.

Edwin
--
http://www.theetherealplane.com
Anonymous

In article <UYHme.859277$w62.467969@bgtnsc05-news.ops.worldnet.att.net> pstamlerhell@pobox.com writes:

> Only that you'll need to do your volume adjustments using the level controls
> on the amplifier. These aren't typically ganged, which is a pain. You may
> want to rig up an external level control of some sort.

Who needs level adjustments? You set it once, then you know how loud
your normal playback and recording level should be. When the phone
rings, you stop the playback, don't just turn it down.

May 31, 2005 1:07:27 PM

It seems that the trick would be to get things set up so that when my
volume level is at max, the speakers are playing at the loudest level I
would want them. That way, I won't have to decrease the volume too much
with my computer's digital volume control. It seems there are a couple
ways to do this:

1. The knobs on the Hafler (up to -15 dB, it looks like).
2. I believe that there is a jumper on my soundcard that will bypass
one of its internal amplifiers.

If things are still louder than I'd ever want them, would adding a
couple resistors to the signal path work? Isn't the volume control on a
(passive) preamp just a variable resistor?

Even if I do have to use the digital volume control, I think that with
my soundcard (Chaintech AV-710) it shouldn't be too bad. It has a 24
bit mode, and if I understand things correctly, the extra byte of
resolution should help in this situation.

What do you guys think?

-Greg
Anonymous
May 31, 2005 3:37:35 PM

In message <429BC641.7CAFEE92@hotmail.com>, Pooh Bear
<rabbitsfriendsandrelations@hotmail.com> writes
>Andy Hart wrote:
>
>> In message <1117454127.176780.267220@g44g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>, Greg
>> <kneeache@hotmail.com> writes
>> >I decided to go
>> >the passive route, and bought some Tannoy Reveals. Now it's time to
>> >buy some amplification. The speakers ate up more than half of my
>> >budget, so I'm looking in the $100-$150 price range.
>>
>> I use a Samson Servo 170 with my Reveals, works well, sounds good.
>>
>> http://www.topdjgear.com/sase170poam.html
>
> Samson ! ?
>
>Mentioning that name is like swearing in here.

Opps ... Sorry 'bout swearing :)

> The fact that you show a 'DJ'
>link explains all.

Know what you mean, normally I wouldn't touch any "DJ" gear especially
speakers for live sound, it just happened to be the first link I came
across.

In my defence I'd say I've been using a S**son 170 for 5 years for near
field monitoring and it seems pretty transparent with little or no
coloration and has been 100% reliable. YMMV
--
Regards
Andy Hart

Edwin Hurwitz wrote:

> So far, the best contender in my rig has been a McIntosh 2105.

I'd go with that in a heartbeat.

--
ha
Anonymous

> plokmichael wrote:
>
> > Greg asked if there will be problems going directly to an amplifier, not
> > an integrated amplifier.
>
> Even a typical pro amp has a level control !

My Hafler 9505 doesn't have a level control. Does that mean that it isn't a
'pro' amp, or that it's atypical?

--
Dave Martin
DMA, Inc

Dave Martin <dmainc@earthlink.net> wrote:
>"Pooh Bear" <rabbitsfriendsandrelations@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>
>> plokmichael wrote:
>>
>> > Greg asked if there will be problems going directly to an amplifier, not
>> > an integrated amplifier.
>>
>> Even a typical pro amp has a level control !
>>
>My Hafler 9505 doesn't have a level control. Does that mean that it isn't a
>'pro' amp, or that it's atypical?

Send it over, and we'll drill a hole in the front panel and add a level
control. THAT is typical.
--scott

June 3, 2005 12:28:19 AM

news:D 7n4mm$5v$1@panix2.panix.com...
> Dave Martin <dmainc@earthlink.net> wrote:

> >My Hafler 9505 doesn't have a level control. Does that mean that it isn't
> >'pro' amp, or that it's atypical?
>
> Send it over, and we'll drill a hole in the front panel and add a level
> control. THAT is typical.
> --scott

You know, as much as I appreciate your kind offer...
--
Dave Martin
DMA, Inc

> Even a typical pro amp has a level control !

Correct. On my 4B it's a pair of screwdriver-adjustable pots on the
back of the amp. Sadly, I haven't yet learned how to get the toolkit
from the garage, pull out the rack, and turn down both channels fast
enough to answer the phone. <g>

- Lorin David Schultz
in the control room
making even bad news sound good

(Remove spamblock to reply)
June 5, 2005 9:00:44 AM

Pooh Bear wrote:

> Utter rubbish - I'd ignore anything else this poster says.
>
> PC soundcard line outs are ideally matched to consumer power amps.
>
> Graham

Well yea, but you miss the point. The volume controls in windows are
digital, not analog. Thus, when you lower the volume control, the noise
floor doesn't go down... thus you're lowering your effective dynamic range.
Anonymous
June 5, 2005 6:14:54 PM

In article <0Gvoe.2212$IE7.1922@newssvr21.news.prodigy.com> mfassett@pacbell.net writes:

> Well yea, but you miss the point. The volume controls in windows are
> digital, not analog. Thus, when you lower the volume control, the noise
> floor doesn't go down... thus you're lowering your effective dynamic range.

Well, yeah, but you use it as a volume CONTROL, not as a level
calibration. You set the amplifier input sensitivity (with an outboard
pad if necessary) so that it's as loud as you normally want it to be,
and then when you need to reduce the volume - either to check what you
can hear at a lower level or to take a nap - who cares about reduced
dynamic range?