Bootmgr is missing

sprite605

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2011
I just upgraded from a 60gb ssd to a 120gb ssd. I used acronis true image to clone the drive. Now when I try booting into windows I get the message bootmgr is missing. I have tried startup repair with my installation disc. Funny thing is that if I put in the cd and boot from it now and ignore the click any key to boot from cd it puts me into windows fully working and cloned. If I do not have the cd in the drive it just tells me bootmgr is missing. My boot order is correct with my new drive first. Any help would be appreciated.

Dogsnake

Distinguished
Win7 creates a hidden partition for the system files. I bet you did not copy it when you cloned (C drive only I am betting). Try the following:
1. Using the win7 cd start the System Recovery Options and select to open a command prompt option.
2. At the command prompt type bootrec /fixboot (there is a space between bootrec and the /).
3. Press enter and you should get a notice the operation was successful. Remove the cd and reboot.

sprite605

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2011

I tried this. It told me the operation was successful but when I rebooted I still got the bootmgr is missing message.

Dogsnake

Distinguished
If you go to your administrative tools (old drive) and look at the disc management section, you should see 2 partitions one of them should be 100mb simple partition. That is the one that is missing. If you can boot into windows (you said you can with the cd in) then you can select the install disk from My Computer, and choose an upgrade installation. This will re-install windows without changing any settings or requiring re installation of programs.