Miking a guitar cab in the studio - what mic?

Last response: in Home Audio
May 31, 2005 4:44:31 PM

Hi!

I wanna mic my guitar cab. I have a Shure SM57, I know it is the most common
mic to use for this purpose.
What other mics are used commonly for this?
Thanks

bence
Anonymous
May 31, 2005 4:44:32 PM

I have also been an SM57 junkie, but I bought the Sennheiser e609
Silver a while back, based on a review I read. It has now become my
MAIN guitar cab mic. It has a lot more warmth and more of a "3D" sound
than the SM57, IMO. And it doesn't cost a whole lot, either!

Locsmándi Bence wrote:
> Hi!
>
> I wanna mic my guitar cab. I have a Shure SM57, I know it is the most common
> mic to use for this purpose.
> What other mics are used commonly for this?
> Thanks
>
> bence
Anonymous
May 31, 2005 4:44:32 PM

My favorites are:
Shure SM57
with a second channel with Royer 121 (or Neuman U67)
both thru Neve 1073 mic pre's.

I sometimes us Sennheiser MD409 (the old ones with the gold and black head),
they sound great on Marshall cabs.

"Locsmándi Bence" <locsmandi.bence@chello.hu> wrote in message
> Hi!
>
> I wanna mic my guitar cab. I have a Shure SM57, I know it is the most
common
> mic to use for this purpose.
> What other mics are used commonly for this?
> Thanks
>
> bence

May 31, 2005 4:44:32 PM

Locsmándi Bence <locsmandi.bence@chello.hu> wrote:

>I wanna mic my guitar cab. I have a Shure SM57, I know it is the most common
>mic to use for this purpose.
>What other mics are used commonly for this?

Anything you can name. Personal favorites include the EV RE-20, 635A,
and N/D 468, the Sennheiser 421 and 604, the Shure SM-7, RCA BK-5, etc.
--scott

May 31, 2005 8:44:10 PM

I dunno about used commonly, but I've heard a lot of folks mention the Beyer
M201 and M88. Me, I usually use an Electro-Voice RE200, a mic that's dead
flat except for a sharp peak up at 8kHz, kind of like an SM57 but without
the dirt (I let the guitar amp make the dirt). The BLUE Dragonfly also
impressed the hell out of me.

Peace,
Paul
Anonymous
May 31, 2005 8:44:11 PM

Paul Stamler wrote:

> flat except for a sharp peak up at 8kHz,

ewww....that's gotta sound horrible on vocals.

Jonny Durango
Anonymous
June 1, 2005 5:07:21 AM

My motto these days is " Anything BUT a 57 " tired of the kinda bright
honk ,
but people have gotten used to them in the way they have gotten used to
NS-10s
[ the peak on a sen 421 is less and the stedman even less ]

that said the 57 can be a nice blend [ keeping some punch ] with a ribbon or
something less midrangey , a fun exercise is always putting up two mics and
moving the one that doesn't sound as good [ to you ] each time , it
changes .

good luck , regards Greg

"Locsmándi Bence" <locsmandi.bence@chello.hu> wrote in message
> Hi!
>
> I wanna mic my guitar cab. I have a Shure SM57, I know it is the most
common
> mic to use for this purpose.
> What other mics are used commonly for this?
> Thanks
>
> bence

Anonymous
June 1, 2005 10:40:44 AM

"Jonny Durango" <jonnydurango1bush_from_office@comcast.net> wrote in message
> Paul Stamler wrote:
>
> > flat except for a sharp peak up at 8kHz,
>
> ewww....that's gotta sound horrible on vocals.

It mostly does, although the lack of distortion makes it sound less horrible
than you'd expect. I bought it because it does two-and-a-half things very
well:

1) Guitar amps

2) Bodhrans (the peak catches the skin sound very nicely)

and a half) *Some* string basses. Fortunately including the one played by
our bass player Jennifer.

Peace,
Paul
Anonymous
June 1, 2005 10:40:45 AM

In article
<MLcne.869186$w62.203164@bgtnsc05-news.ops.worldnet.att.net>,
"Paul Stamler" <pstamlerhell@pobox.com> wrote:

> "Jonny Durango" <jonnydurango1bush_from_office@comcast.net> wrote in message
> > Paul Stamler wrote:
> >
> > > flat except for a sharp peak up at 8kHz,
> >
> > ewww....that's gotta sound horrible on vocals.
>
> It mostly does, although the lack of distortion makes it sound less horrible
> than you'd expect. I bought it because it does two-and-a-half things very
> well:
>
> 1) Guitar amps
>
> 2) Bodhrans (the peak catches the skin sound very nicely)
>
> and a half) *Some* string basses. Fortunately including the one played by
> our bass player Jennifer.

Are we talking about the small condenser? Accordint to the response
chart I have, it starts rolling off on the low end at around 500hz.

June 1, 2005 1:11:18 PM

On Tue, 31 May 2005 10:49:39 -0400, Scott Dorsey wrote
(in article <d7hti3$ec0$1@panix2.panix.com>):

> Locsmándi Bence <locsmandi.bence@chello.hu> wrote:
>>
>> I wanna mic my guitar cab. I have a Shure SM57, I know it is the most
>> common
>> mic to use for this purpose.
>> What other mics are used commonly for this?
>
> Anything you can name. Personal favorites include the EV RE-20, 635A,
> and N/D 468, the Sennheiser 421 and 604, the Shure SM-7, RCA BK-5, etc.
> --scott

Gefell m900

Ty Ford

stuff are at www.tyford.com
Anonymous
June 1, 2005 1:13:08 PM

On Tue, 31 May 2005 21:07:21 -0400, GKB wrote
(in article <dT7ne.1531657$6l.523958@pd7tw2no>):

AT 4050, AT 2020

U 87, U 89

Ty Ford

stuff are at www.tyford.com
Anonymous
June 1, 2005 8:05:26 PM

"Patrick Covert" <cover@capital.net> wrote in message

> > and a half) *Some* string basses. Fortunately including the one played
by
> > our bass player Jennifer.
>
> Are we talking about the small condenser? Accordint to the response
> chart I have, it starts rolling off on the low end at around 500hz.

A little lower, I think, but yes, it has a bass rolloff that starts highish.
Bring the mic in to about 4" from the instrument, and proximity effect
pretty much flattens it out, and the peak picks up the wood sound. For live
work, given the lack of deep bass in the PA, it does a good job when she
doesn't bring her pickup.

Peace,
Paul
Anonymous
June 1, 2005 8:56:43 PM

Hello Ty!

You mean miking a cab with a U 87? Is that a good choice?
Thanks

b.

"Ty Ford" <tyreeford@comcast.net> az alábbiakat írta a következo
hírüzenetben: Fv6dnYYqF-X5KQDfRVn-rg@comcast.com...
> On Tue, 31 May 2005 21:07:21 -0400, GKB wrote
> (in article <dT7ne.1531657$6l.523958@pd7tw2no>):
>
> AT 4050, AT 2020
>
> U 87, U 89
>

> Ty Ford
>

> -- Ty Ford's equipment reviews, audio samples, rates and other
> audiocentric
> stuff are at www.tyford.com

Anonymous
June 2, 2005 2:48:50 PM

On Wed, 1 Jun 2005 10:56:43 -0400, Locsmándi Bence wrote
(in article <88e58$429dccab$5063b2e9$16301@news.chello.hu>):

> Hello Ty!
>
> You mean miking a cab with a U 87? Is that a good choice?
> Thanks
>
> b.
0

No reason not to. A lot of nice detail there if you have the right player and
have the mic in the right place.

Regards,

Ty Ford

stuff are at www.tyford.com