Intel ICH10R driver for W7 - anyone know where it is?

OneHumongousLoser

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2008
I was going to install W7, and cant find the Windows 7 driver for the Intel ICH10R for the motherboard GIGABYTE GA-EP45-UD3P LGA 775 Intel P45.

I cant find on Gigabyte site (though they say the motherboard is W7 ready), and not on the intel site.

Would using the Vista driver, installing with flash drive during installation, work?

Comments greatly appreciated.

royalcrown

Distinguished
You don't need one it's on the win 7 disk. If it is asking you for a driver at setup, re burn the dvd at a lower speed because it is corrupt. I had the same issue on my GA-EP45-UD3R rev 1.1 board. reburned the 64 bit ISO and it installed fine and no more looking for the driver screen.

Also their is a vista 64 bit on Intel's site, it is the MATRIX STORAGE MANAGER, version 8.xx for vista 64, but it wont work.

OneHumongousLoser

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2008
Thanks, very helpful.
Quick question, since you have basically the same mobo, is it really worth it to hook up the harddrive to the Gigabyte sata2 ports, or just use the normal ones? The hd has a 3Gb/s spec, and both of the ACHI and their especial sata2 ports seem to have this same speed (i cant really find a difference).

royalcrown

Distinguished
just use the yellow ones, they are sata 2 also, it's just that the purple ones use an add on controller and not the native ich10r lanes directly. you wont notice any performance diff, just easier to order your devices and manage em in the bios.

royalcrown

Distinguished
Win 7 is working great btw and needs no gigabyte drivers, not even for your network chip, all on disk, even better than vista. and it runs on the kids althlon single core 3200 with 1 gig of ram too, runs better than my vista 64 install. Only prob so far is that media center will lose sound if it goes to sleep and you need to reboot to get it back, but that is literally the only major bug I;ve had so far.

OneHumongousLoser

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2008
I finally got past the install driver problem. I reburned the image slowly, used a more modern DVD player (other one was like 8 years old), and added a new graphics card before installation. It worked!!!
I think it was asking for the video card driver for my old video card, because for the new video card i got (ati 4850) - they had a windows driver for 8000 series for default (i think it was called something like 8000 series wmd) before i put in the CCC display driver.
Anyway, W7 is really good so far.
Boots like in 5 seconds.

pparks1

Distinguished
Jul 12, 2009
I too have a Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R mobo and am running Windows 7 RC1 64-bit and everything worked right out of the box.

However, I do have a Seagate 7200.12 1TB hard drive installed, and repeated testing with HDTune is showing access times around 25-30ms for this drive on Windows 7 and I haven't been able to get them down to a more reasonable 15ms.

I moved this exact same hard drive over to a box running Windows XP and tested it with HDTune there and it got 15.1ms...which is exactly what I would expect for this drive.

I'm going to load Vista tomorrow along with the associated gigabyte drivers to see if my HDTune test comes back with access times again in the 15ms range. I suspect that this is a driver issue and the Windows 7 built-in driver just isn't giving me the performance that I could get...so I too would love to see a Windows 7 of this driver released by Gigabyte.

OneHumongousLoser

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2008
If I remember (i have a bad memory), during W7 installation, i installed the gigabyte driver (actually jmicron i think) that was the vista version, and then W7 apparently detected the AHCI10 also.

So, the system shows the jmicron and the ACHI (interestingly actually says like ACHI1.0), i use the purple port for the hard drive, and under bios set the SATA to AHCI, and Onboard Sata to AHCI, and this runs faster than ever and it uses the vista gigabyte driver.

I do have a problem plugging in another hard drive though for backup. It gives a BSOD. The backup harddrive has old Wxp and data on it, and W7 wont simply detect it then let me reformat. Just goes straight to Bsod.

pparks1

Distinguished
Jul 12, 2009
Yeah, I tried moving my hard drive to the purple (JMicron/Gigabyte) controller as well and had same performance issue. I've gone with the standard Win7 drivers as well as those provided by Gigabyte for WinVista 64-bit and neither improved things.

Are you using Win7 RC or the Beta? The Beta may well include overhead for debugging/diagnostics in the I/O stack (could be above the driver level), although I wouldn't expect to see it in the release candidate.

randomizer

Champion
You can install the Vista driver. Just grab it from the Intel site here: http://downloadcenter.intel.com/filter_results.aspx?strTypes=all&ProductID=816&OSFullName=Windows+Vista*+64&lang=eng&strOSs=150&submit=Go!

That's the 64-bit one, make sure you grab the right one for your OS.

pparks1

Distinguished
Jul 12, 2009
Randomizer: Thanks. I did try the Vista 64-bit drivers to no avail. I spent most of the weekend trying to hunt down this problem and haven't resolved it yet. I've used different Sata cables, different SATA ports, the Intel and the Jmicron controllers. I've tried the default win drivers, the gigabyte provided drivers and the drivers direct from Intel. I've tried Win7 and Vista. I've turned off all green features of my CPU within BIOS. I've formatted and started with a clean slate. The only thing I haven't tried is a previous BIOS release...as my motherboard shipped with the latest version of the BIOS.

I've actually started a dedicated thread on this forum for my issue;
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/261360-30-ep45-ud3r-slow-access-times#t1829924

In addition, I opened up a ticket with Gigabyte to get some help from them on the issue.

tbanks204

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2009

I have the same board, and windows 7 64 bit, does one have to enable ICH in the bios, for hot swapping, if so, then I have a problem, when I do so, my computer won't boot.

Ronski

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2009

If you installed Windows 7 with the hard drives set to IDE mode in the Bios then it won't boot when you change it to ICH. You need to change a setting in the Registry prior to changing the setting in the Bios, I've just done it on Vista and it worked a treat.

See this post here for info.

Note: There's a space in the registry key, just ignore it. My key in Vista was set to 4, but my laptops Windows 7 value is 3.