HonestJhon

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2001
Alright,
Recently, Programs started to close themselves for no apparent reason, and at random times.
Internet Explorer, Multimon, Norton Antivirus (the scanning window), and other programs that i open.
I cannot figure this one out. and this only started to happen in the last few days....
quite annoying, and quite frustrating to have a program close while you are doing something to it.
if anyone has ANY idea what might cause this, please, PLEASE let me know.
I was able to scan with norton last night, and it said that there was no infections. i updated the definitions right before scannjing, so it was the newest definitions.
i was changing stuff in the registry, but it was stuff to kill UNUSED apps when i told the computer to shut down. and everything that i changed was put back because the computer had a problem with my settings, and rebooted itself. i even used system restore to go back to a previous point. but it gave me an error, and said that it couldnt be restored successfully...so i clicked OK. there are other restore points i can try, but this one was before i changed things in the registry. isnt the system recovery thing supposed to make the registry go back the way it was too?
this is quite an annoying predicament, and i would appreciate any help.
last option is to format and reinstall...i would like to solve this by figuring it out. :wink:
thank you in advance.

-DAvid

-Live, Learn, then build your own computer!-

HonestJhon

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2001
ok, i found out that some registry changes were not undone...i didnt thorougly check.
i undid them, and seems to not be doing it anymore.
sorry about that...but if it returns, i will definately repost.
oh, and i dont understand.
the thing that was enabled was, autokillhungapp or something like that. this shutdown tweak guide said to set its value to 1. and it would kill apps that are not responding when windows is shutting down.
i guess that it went crazy, and just started to shut down programs...lol...i dunno
has anyone here done the XP shutdown registry tweaks from <A HREF="http://www.mods4me.com/reviews.php?op=showcontent&id=19&page=6" target="_new">here</A>.
i did the Unloading DLLS, and this Shutting down/ Startup other than the prefetcher stuff. i just did the first two things.
i dont know.
anyone?

-DAvid

labdog

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2001
IMO, those registry values which are processing or DLLs related timeout values are critical.
plus they are used by processes, tasks & spawning (child processes, threads) in the XP kernel (very OS low level).
i wouldnt never apply this kind of OS mods which are moreover rather useless.

this kind of tweaky tips shouldnt exist if they arent secure & well tested ones.

<i>who plays with fire ends by burn himself with...</i>

<i>if <b>you know</b> <font color=white>you don't know<font color=black>, the way could be more easy ...

HonestJhon

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2001
well, i read quite a few posts where people had no problems with it.
and i took the risk of doing it, and i guess i paid for it.
i know about those registry settings being part of the os, and deeply embedded in them, but what it was supposed to do was cut the shutdown time in half, or less due to the fact that it automatically shuts programs down that are hung up. but it didnt really work in my case. oh well.
i guess i can live becasue it is hardly shutdown in the first place...i was just checking something out..so i can know more about tweaks.

-DAvid

labdog

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2001
IMO, those mods are strongly apps & hardware related.
they depend alot of your comp configuration & your installed apps, their types & their number.

plus obvouisly more you have stuff on your OS, more it is difficult to find the mods fine tuning & more those mods are risked ones. (just evoking probabilities...)

this could maybe explain why you have some/more difficulties to apply this tweak.

but it is just an assumption...

<i>if <b>you know</b> <font color=white>you don't know<font color=black>, the way could be more easy ...

HonestJhon

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2001
that assumption is correct. it is probably because of the fact that i have done so much to my computer so far, and who knows how different mine is to theirs.
but hey, i just wanted to give it a try. but it didnt work..and i am pretty sure i got it back the way it was.
if not, i could always do a fresh installation...but i think it will be fine.
thanks for the concern, and yeah, i would not recommend anyone do those tweaks...
just wait for it to shut down.
if it is ATX power, it will shut itself down, so just click shut down, and leave it be! dont worry about how long it takes... :wink: :smile:

-DAvid

OldBear

Splendid
Sep 14, 2001
That is the way we all learn.
Freeware is sometimes not "free".

How are you David?

:lol: <b><font color=blue> Welcome to</font color=blue> <font color=red>Fredi's</font color=red><font color=blue> place.</font color=blue></b> :lol:

HonestJhon

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2001
im pretty good...pretty good.
just waiting for the end of the quarter...sos i can chill and not have to worry about class! hehe.
but yeah, im doing good, and yeah, i think this was a good experience....now i know, and now i can tell people FIRST hand that it isnt that great of an idea! :wink:
always good to have first hand experience...hehe.
how are you?

-DAvid

OldBear

Splendid
Sep 14, 2001
I am good and getting older but that is better than the alternative. :smile:
I was always glad for the break from class. Too much work and no play
makes anyone uptight.

:lol: <b><font color=blue> Welcome to</font color=blue> <font color=red>Fredi's</font color=red><font color=blue> place.</font color=blue></b> :lol:

HonestJhon

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2001
is there a registry checker for XP?
i know that 98 and ME had one built in, but is there one i can run on XP?
just wanted to make sure my registry is within normal specs...hehe...

-DAvid

OldBear

Splendid
Sep 14, 2001
I still use regclean.exe from win98se and it works fine. It worked on Win2k also
with no smoking holes.

HonestJhon

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2001
hmm...think i could just pull that off the 98 cd, or would i have to get that off a computer with 98 on it?

-DAvid

OldBear

Splendid
Sep 14, 2001
The one I use is dated 12/30/97. If you can't find it, I'll be happy to e-mail it
to you.

HonestJhon

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2001
cool...cool.
and reg clean just removes the unnecessary registry entries? i havent used it in a LONG time.
my little brother has WIN98SE on his computer, so i could get it off his...
all i need to copy off his computer is regclean.exe?

-DAvid

OldBear

Splendid
Sep 14, 2001
Yes. That's all. I have only heard one person that had trouble with it in
Win2k. It and Norton AV didn't get along too well but I have had no trouble
with either OS. Also, it saves the last clean up action so just put it in
it's own folder and if something goes south, double click on the last saved
file and it replaces it.

HonestJhon

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2001
put the last clean up file in there, or the regclean?
and where should i put regclean on my machine? system32? or windows? or could i have it in any folder?

-DAvid

OldBear

Splendid
Sep 14, 2001
I put it in it's own folder. To restore the last clean operation,
double click on that saved file to restore. Example of file would be;
undoxxxxx.reg.

HonestJhon

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2001
AHHH..i see..
i will try that when my little brother is off DIABLO2...oh how i hate that game...hehe...

-DAvid

OldBear

Splendid
Sep 14, 2001
Sounds good. You shouldn't have any problems with it or I wouldn't suggest it.
Let me know.

HonestJhon

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2001
are you sure it is REGCLEAN.EXE?
i cannot find it on his computer...
is it not on there.
i copied SCANREGW.EXE but that wont run...
it says it is having a problem accessing the registry, and then it says it is going to restart the computer, but it doesnt.
lol
maybe you should email me what you use....hehe.
i think you know my addy...thanks man! :smile:

-DAvid

OldBear

Splendid
Sep 14, 2001
I just e-mailed to you.

HonestJhon

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2001
hey thanks..
i ran it, and it found some errors apparently....even though i "upgraded" to xp again...
just popped the cd in, and ran the upgrade.
i thought it would revert the registry to normal.
oh well.
but the regclean seemed to work fine.
oh, and i ran that program like ONCE when i had 98se...
like WAYY back in the day...when i first got 98se.
lol
but everything seems to be normal.
dont know if it has anything to do with it, but my <A HREF="http://www.bandwidthplace.com/speedtest/" target="_new">internet bandwidth test</A> went from 1.2 megabits to 1.3 megabits...hmm...
dont know what caused that.
but it did.
hehe.
:smile:
thanks a million man!

-DAvid

OldBear

Splendid
Sep 14, 2001
You are very welcome.