Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Conflict in FS 2002 with MP9: any patch or work-around?

Last response: in Video Games
Share
Anonymous
June 9, 2004 5:06:39 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.games.zone.simulation (More info?)

My system already had a copy of MP9 installed, back
whenever it became available. The game-play computer still
runs W98se because that one continued to work well for me
with gaming; it has 512 MB of RAM, an AMD T-Bird 1.3, an
nVidia FX 5200 graphics (AGM ? whatever the dedicated
grahics slot is) adapter, Diamond Monster MX sound card,
Logitech Extreme 3D Joystick, the latest DirectX that
exists, etc.

During the initial stahe of installing FS2002, I was asked
about installing MP 7.1, and Adobe Acrobat something or
other; both earlier versions of what I already had. So I
passed on those. But the in-game "movies" don't run
correctly.

I get only the audio portion, and a graphic cartoonlike
placeholder of squares and colors and the Media Player Logo
that just shuffle around, changing places, never loading a
real picture.

So I tried to install the 7.1 Media Player, and the FS2002
CD's installshield functions (or whatever variety
installer) acted like they would do so right up to a last
step, when it issued a generic oops error message saying it
failed to install.


Is this a common complaint? I ran searches for "media
player" all around, and found no matching KB's or message
threads.


Kiwi

* *
June 10, 2004 1:01:09 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.games.zone.simulation (More info?)

kiwi,

list of things i would do in order:

go to start\settings\control panel\add / remove programs ,

remove all adobe acrobat
remove all windows media player
remove fs2002

re-boot

go to www.nvidia.com and go to the archives and download the
45.23_win9x_english
driver.

also get the latest drivers for your sound card. you may do a search at
www.driverguide.com userid: driver
password: all

re-install fs2002 with all the other goodies, i.e. adobe acrobat and windows
media player.

now if fs2002 runs, go back to nvidia and get the latest driver for your
card. if it doesn't run well with the latest driver, go back a driver or 2
till it does.

now let's go to
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowsmedia/9series/p...
and download windows media player 9 series

now go to http://www.adobe.com/products/acrobat/readermain.html
and download adobe reader 6.0

goodluck !

"Kiwi" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:246101c44e5d$467e3da0$3a01280a@phx.gbl...
> My system already had a copy of MP9 installed, back
> whenever it became available. The game-play computer still
> runs W98se because that one continued to work well for me
> with gaming; it has 512 MB of RAM, an AMD T-Bird 1.3, an
> nVidia FX 5200 graphics (AGM ? whatever the dedicated
> grahics slot is) adapter, Diamond Monster MX sound card,
> Logitech Extreme 3D Joystick, the latest DirectX that
> exists, etc.
>
> During the initial stahe of installing FS2002, I was asked
> about installing MP 7.1, and Adobe Acrobat something or
> other; both earlier versions of what I already had. So I
> passed on those. But the in-game "movies" don't run
> correctly.
>
> I get only the audio portion, and a graphic cartoonlike
> placeholder of squares and colors and the Media Player Logo
> that just shuffle around, changing places, never loading a
> real picture.
>
> So I tried to install the 7.1 Media Player, and the FS2002
> CD's installshield functions (or whatever variety
> installer) acted like they would do so right up to a last
> step, when it issued a generic oops error message saying it
> failed to install.
>
>
> Is this a common complaint? I ran searches for "media
> player" all around, and found no matching KB's or message
> threads.
>
>
> Kiwi
>
> * *
>
Anonymous
June 16, 2004 1:05:16 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.games.zone.simulation (More info?)

The lessons are running, just without included movies.

>-----Original Message-----
>kiwi,

My handle is based on the state bird of NZ, a proper name
with a capital K. I was born there.
>
>list of things i would do in order:
>
>go to start\settings\control panel\add / remove programs ,

I'm going to go slow on grand scale uninstalls so far, I
think. The movies are a small part of this; probably not
particularly important. I did go through all of the file
directories of everything installed in the FS2002 folder on
my gaming hard drive. Nothing found looked, or sounded, as
if it was the title of any movie clip.
>
>remove all adobe acrobat
>remove all windows media player
>remove fs2002
>
I suspect that the FS2002 install SKIPPED the movies when I
told it to skip MP 7.1's install.

>re-boot
>
>go to www.nvidia.com and go to the archives and download the
>45.23_win9x_english
>driver.
>
How far back does that one go? I might have a copy in my
own past downloads . .

>also get the latest drivers for your sound card. you may
do a search at
>www.driverguide.com userid: driver
> password: all

Until just before getting FS2002, I was relying on the AC
97 built-in sound system on the motherboard. I have a new
to me Diamond Monster Sound MX card, with as new of a set
of drivers as existed a week before the FS2002 install.
>
>re-install fs2002 with all the other goodies, i.e. adobe
acrobat and windows
>media player.
>
I presume here you mean with the outdated versions that
FS2002 mistakenly thinks are all it will run with.

>now if fs2002 runs, go back to nvidia and get the latest
driver for your
>card. if it doesn't run well with the latest driver, go
back a driver or 2
>till it does.
>
It's an FX, merely a 5200, but it is DirectX 9.0b

>now let's go to
>http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowsmedia/9series/p...
>and download windows media player 9 series
>
> now go to
http://www.adobe.com/products/acrobat/readermain.html
>and download adobe reader 6.0
>
I thought that I had a version 6.1 of that!

>goodluck !
>
>"Kiwi" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>news:246101c44e5d$467e3da0$3a01280a@phx.gbl...
>> My system already had a copy of MP9 installed, back
>> whenever it became available. The game-play computer still
>> runs W98se because that one continued to work well for me
>> with gaming; it has 512 MB of RAM, an AMD T-Bird 1.3, an
>> nVidia FX 5200 graphics (AGM ? whatever the dedicated
>> grahics slot is) adapter, Diamond Monster MX sound card,
>> Logitech Extreme 3D Joystick, the latest DirectX that
>> exists, etc.
>>
>> During the initial stahe of installing FS2002, I was asked
>> about installing MP 7.1, and Adobe Acrobat something or
>> other; both earlier versions of what I already had. So I
>> passed on those. But the in-game "movies" don't run
>> correctly.
>>
>> I get only the audio portion, and a graphic cartoonlike
>> placeholder of squares and colors and the Media Player Logo
>> that just shuffle around, changing places, never loading a
>> real picture.
>>
>> So I tried to install the 7.1 Media Player, and the FS2002
>> CD's installshield functions (or whatever variety
>> installer) acted like they would do so right up to a last
>> step, when it issued a generic oops error message saying it
>> failed to install.
>>
>>
>> Is this a common complaint? I ran searches for "media
>> player" all around, and found no matching KB's or message
>> threads.
>>
>>
>> Kiwi
>>
>> * *
>>
>
>
>.
>
Anonymous
June 18, 2004 1:03:42 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.games.zone.simulation (More info?)

See a more current thread (David's, about FS2000)
>-----Original Message-----
>My system already had a copy of MP9 installed, back
>whenever it became available. The game-play computer
>still runs W98se because that one continued to work well
>for me with gaming; it has 512 MB of RAM, an AMD T-Bird
>1.3, an nVidia FX 5200 graphics adapter, Diamond Monster
>MX sound card, Logitech Extreme 3D Joystick, the latest
>DirectX that exists, etc.
>
No one had much of an answer here. So I got rid of FS2202
and tried FS2000 Pro instead. It's worse, as per the new
meaage in David's thread!

>During the initial stage of installing FS2002, I was asked
>about installing MP 7.1, and Adobe Acrobat 4.0; both
>earlier versions of what I already had. So I passed on
>those. But the in-game "movies" don't run correctly.
>
>I get only the audio portion, and a graphic cartoonlike
>placeholder of squares and colors and the Media Player
>Logo that just shuffle around, changing places, never
>loading a real picture.
>
>So I tried to install the 7.1 Media Player, and the FS2002
>CD's installshield functions (or whatever variety
>installer) acted like they would do so right up to a last
>step, when it issued a generic oops error message saying
>it failed to install.
>
>
>Is this a common complaint? I ran searches for "media
>player" all around, and found no matching KB's or message
>threads.
>
>
>Kiwi
>
>* *
>
>.
>
!