Sign in with
Your question

Cannot connect to any website, but internet works fine.

Last response: in Windows 7
July 10, 2012 5:27:21 AM

Hi, I recently ran into a problem. I cannot access any website through any browsers (Internet Explorer 64-bit works fine). In Google Chrome I get this:

Error 137 (net::ERR_NAME_RESOLUTION_FAILED): Unknown error

All my other Internet-reliant programs (Steam, XFire, SKype, etc.) work fine, with the exception of MBAM (can't connect in order to update definitions).

I've ran TDSS Killer (found nothing), MBAM (found a few things, removed all), and Microsoft Security Scanner (found a few things, removed all).

Could anyone help me please?
July 10, 2012 5:34:05 AM

A DNS issue, perhaps? That's the only site-specific thing I can think of, though I'm no expert.
m
l
July 10, 2012 5:46:19 AM

I'm fairly certain that it is a DNS problem. Nothing I try seems to work, which is why I'm here now.

Any suggestions as to what I could do?
m
l
Related resources
July 10, 2012 1:08:30 PM

Uninstall your network adapter drivers, reset any browser settings, reboot, then re-install network adapter drivers.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
July 10, 2012 1:18:26 PM

If this just started happening yesterday then you had a virus known as DNSChanger. This virus changed your DNS settings to point to a different DNS server than the one configured by DHCP. The FBI nailed the culprits but rather than let everyone affected by the virus effectively lose their internet access they decided to put up their own clean DNS servers in the same logical location. On monday those servers were taken down.
m
l
July 10, 2012 5:20:30 PM

The above are smart.
m
l
July 10, 2012 5:59:20 PM

sure sounds like a DNSchanger issue

download and run this
80.190.154.30/files/support/FAQ_KB_Download_Files/EN/AviraDNSRepairEN.exe
m
l
July 18, 2012 6:40:21 AM

Hi everyone, thank you for the replies! I've been really busy recently and I forgot that I had posted here for help.

swifty_morgan, as is obvious, I am still connected to the Internet, so this isn't the same virus.

Branden, the program that you linked to did not report any issues with my DNS.

I didn't mention this earlier because I didn't entirely understand what was going on, but Windows Firewall is also broken; trying to "Use default settings" does nothing, and there are also some errors with the associated Services.

I'm gonna just do a repair install as suggested on another forum, here in a couple of days. Thank you all for your help!
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
July 18, 2012 11:47:43 AM

unohoo09 said:
Hi everyone, thank you for the replies! I've been really busy recently and I forgot that I had posted here for help.

swifty_morgan, as is obvious, I am still connected to the Internet, so this isn't the same virus.

Branden, the program that you linked to did not report any issues with my DNS.

I didn't mention this earlier because I didn't entirely understand what was going on, but Windows Firewall is also broken; trying to "Use default settings" does nothing, and there are also some errors with the associated Services.

I'm gonna just do a repair install as suggested on another forum, here in a couple of days. Thank you all for your help!

DNS has nothing to do with your connection to the internet. Without DNS you cannot resolve names to IP addresses but direct IP connections will still work
m
l
a c 228 $ Windows 7
July 18, 2012 11:54:36 AM

I'd also check your HOSTS file and see if anything in there looks suspicious.
m
l
!