Here We go Again... Small format Console.

Last response: in Home Audio
June 1, 2005 9:30:37 AM

Listen,
I'm currently considering loosing the DDA qmr console in the studio,
and am looking for a high quality mixer to run 8 channels from Protools
and possibly a few from a PC for samplers etc.
It must have better preamps than the DDA, cut and solo on each channel.
EQ not too important (I have outboard). But it must have a couple of
aux sends and returns for headphones etc.
I need it for tracking and to use to mixdown stems from my protools
sessions.
The TLA M3 looks pretty close, and so does the Manley 16x2. I got a
budget of about €4000.

Anybody got any better ideas?
Anybody got any better deals?

Kindest Regards.
D.Slevin

More about : small format console

Anonymous
June 1, 2005 10:23:18 AM

Hi Scott,
The DDA is going full stop...
A shortloaded Neve would be great, a 12 channel sidecar or something. I
think the Daking console would be perfect but way too expensive for the
moment.
Studer sounds like a plan, perhaps a small broadcast desk?
I don't really want to get into a big maintenance thing if I get an old
console either.

Thanks for the Ideas though...
Dave.
Anonymous
June 1, 2005 11:10:24 AM

Soundcraft Delta 200 8x4x2.

Jim Williams
Audio Upgrades
June 1, 2005 12:31:35 PM

Hi Mike,
It's Euro...
€4000... roughly $1.30 to one euro.
Just over $5,000 american tourist dolla'
I'll check out the Speck spec.
Thanks for that...

D.Slevin.
Anonymous
June 1, 2005 12:31:43 PM

Hi Mike,
It's Euro...
€4000... roughly $1.30 to one euro.
Just over $5,000 american tourist dolla'
I'll check out the Speck spec.
Thanks for that...

D.Slevin.
Anonymous
June 1, 2005 12:39:32 PM

Why does it keep doing that....
Anonymous
June 1, 2005 12:47:39 PM

In article <1117629037.382843.33230@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com>,
studiorat <daveslevin@02.ie> wrote:
>Listen,
>I'm currently considering loosing the DDA qmr console in the studio,
>and am looking for a high quality mixer to run 8 channels from Protools
>and possibly a few from a PC for samplers etc.
>It must have better preamps than the DDA, cut and solo on each channel.
>EQ not too important (I have outboard). But it must have a couple of
>aux sends and returns for headphones etc.
>I need it for tracking and to use to mixdown stems from my protools
>sessions.
>The TLA M3 looks pretty close, and so does the Manley 16x2. I got a
>budget of about =804000.
>
>Anybody got any better ideas?
>Anybody got any better deals?

Daking makes a small format console that feels like a large one, that
really feels wonderful.

BUT, what's wrong with just getting a frame and having some strips from
your DDA shortloaded into it?

Or get a shortloaded Neve or something.

The small Studer consoles are also not bad at all, but most of the ones
I have seen were more projects than not.
--scott
June 1, 2005 1:11:59 PM

The euro, that's one of them wRAP sandwiches, right?

Michael
Anonymous
June 1, 2005 2:36:09 PM

In article <1117629037.382843.33230@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com> daveslevin@02.ie writes:

> I'm currently considering loosing the DDA qmr console in the studio,
> and am looking for a high quality mixer to run 8 channels from Protools
> and possibly a few from a PC for samplers etc.
> It must have better preamps than the DDA, cut and solo on each channel.
> EQ not too important (I have outboard). But it must have a couple of
> aux sends and returns for headphones etc.

> I got a
> budget of about =804000.

That looks like an odd number in any currency. What are the units, in
text? (here, it appears as "equals 804000") And an equivalent in US
dollars if it's not too much trouble for you to look it up?

Not knowing yet how much you plan to spend, you might want to look at
the Speck LiLo: http://www.speck.com/lilo/lilo.shtml

It doesn't have mic preamps, but that lets you choose whatever tickles
your fancy without being bound to what's in the console or feeling
that you're paying for (console) preamps that you won't use.

Or you could look at a Mackie Onyx 1640.

June 1, 2005 3:33:48 PM

I think I'm just getting used to my new POWERBOOK.
It's very small...
Anonymous
June 1, 2005 9:53:43 PM

Mike Rivers wrote:
> In article <1117629037.382843.33230@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com> daveslevin@02.ie writes:
>

>>I'm currently considering loosing the DDA qmr console in the studio,
>>and am looking for a high quality mixer to run 8 channels from Protools
>>and possibly a few from a PC for samplers etc.
>>It must have better preamps than the DDA, cut and solo on each channel.
>>EQ not too important (I have outboard). But it must have a couple of
>>aux sends and returns for headphones etc.
>

>>I got a
>>budget of about =804000.
>

> That looks like an odd number in any currency. What are the units, in
> text? (here, it appears as "equals 804000") And an equivalent in US
> dollars if it's not too much trouble for you to look it up?
>
> Not knowing yet how much you plan to spend, you might want to look at
> the Speck LiLo: http://www.speck.com/lilo/lilo.shtml
>
> It doesn't have mic preamps, but that lets you choose whatever tickles
> your fancy without being bound to what's in the console or feeling
> that you're paying for (console) preamps that you won't use.
>
> Or you could look at a Mackie Onyx 1640.

Your PC wasn't reading it properly.
I guess the € (euro) sign is irrelevant over there ;)
Anonymous
June 1, 2005 10:19:51 PM

In article <3g6406Fatl9uU2@individual.net> david.morley@gmx.net writes:

> Your PC wasn't reading it properly.
> I guess the € (euro) sign is irrelevant over there ;)

That looks like a symbol rather than "=A", though I didn't realize it
was for the Euro. I need more gigs over in Europe. I just looked, and
in the financial section of the Washington Post, they spell it out
"Euro."

I know how to make an € symbol, and I can read what I wrote. I'll have
to check to see what it looks like by the time it gets from here to
there and back again.

June 1, 2005 10:19:52 PM

In article <1117642319.311803.133880@g44g2000cwa.googlegroups.com> hooloovoo25@hotmail.com writes:

> The euro, that's one of them wRAP sandwiches, right?

There's a gas station up the hill from me that has an adjunct Euro
Market, where you can get a pretty decent wrap sandwich, and also fair
gelato by the scoop.

June 2, 2005 9:43:24 AM

Great Gentlemen, Just great...
So what sot so desk can I get for 4000 sandwiches?
Anonymous
June 2, 2005 11:08:35 AM

A customer just got that Soundcraft Delta 200 8x4x8x2 for $350. Costs
over $5k new.
-90 db crosstalk, .001% THD for under 10 cents on the dollar. If you
forfet your lunch sandwiches for a few months it could be free. Far
less than 4000 sandwiches!

PS. Don't do the "M" word!

Jim Williams
Audio Upgrades
Anonymous
June 3, 2005 3:01:59 AM

What about the Chandler rack mixer?
Anonymous
June 3, 2005 8:30:36 AM

<jwilliams3@audioupgrades.com> wrote:

> Soundcraft Delta 200 8x4x2.
>
> Jim Williams
> Audio Upgrades

Shooosh! Don't drive up prices!

- Lorin David Schultz
in the control room
making even bad news sound good

(Remove spamblock to reply)
Anonymous
June 3, 2005 8:36:58 AM

>> I got a
>> budget of about =804000.

What newsreader are you using Mike? It obviously doesn't like certain
characters.

- Lorin David Schultz
in the control room
making even bad news sound good

(Remove spamblock to reply)
Anonymous
June 3, 2005 2:27:10 PM

In article <K7Rne.30535$on1.21328@clgrps13> Lorin@DAMNSPAM!v5v.ca writes:

> What newsreader are you using Mike? It obviously doesn't like certain
> characters.

Zipnews. It's DOS. And I don't think it's the newsreader that doesn't
like certain characters. I could type and read the € character, but I
find that with text that comes from certain computers (Macs seem to be
the most guilty) there are some characters that aren't supported and
appear with equal signs and some other characters that are supported.

It may be that somewhere along the path, 8-bit text gets converted to
7-bit text (it's an old Unix standard) and the messages that I get
just seem to go through that path. I'll have to look up some of those
"foreign currency" messages on Google and see what they look like
there. I'm sure they're just fine.

June 3, 2005 6:30:57 PM

Lorin David Schultz <Lorin@DAMNSPAM!v5v.ca> wrote:

>>> I got a
>>> budget of about =804000.
>

>What newsreader are you using Mike? It obviously doesn't like certain
>characters.

No, the problem is the wacky Microsoft encoding. Please don't use
that stuff. A large portion of the net can't deal with it.
--scott
June 4, 2005 3:37:28 AM

"studiorat" <daveslevin@02.ie> wrote in message
Listen,
I'm currently considering loosing the DDA qmr console in the studio,
and am looking for a high quality mixer to run 8 channels from Protools
and possibly a few from a PC for samplers etc.
It must have better preamps than the DDA, cut and solo on each channel.
EQ not too important (I have outboard). But it must have a couple of
aux sends and returns for headphones etc.
I need it for tracking and to use to mixdown stems from my protools
sessions.
The TLA M3 looks pretty close, and so does the Manley 16x2. I got a
budget of about €4000.

Anybody got any better ideas?
Anybody got any better deals?

Kindest Regards.
D.Slevin
Anonymous
June 4, 2005 3:39:40 AM

"studiorat" <daveslevin@02.ie> wrote in message
Listen,
I'm currently considering loosing the DDA qmr console in the studio,
and am looking for a high quality mixer to run 8 channels from Protools
and possibly a few from a PC for samplers etc.
It must have better preamps than the DDA, cut and solo on each channel.
EQ not too important (I have outboard). But it must have a couple of
aux sends and returns for headphones etc.
I need it for tracking and to use to mixdown stems from my protools
sessions.
The TLA M3 looks pretty close, and so does the Manley 16x2. I got a
budget of about €4000.

Anybody got any better ideas?
Anybody got any better deals?

Kindest Regards.
D.Slevin

If you're not in a hurry, the new offerings from Malcolm Toft and TL Audio
(M4) look promising.

Predrag
!