Another (Grumble!!!) Hard-to-find-cheap Item

Last response: in Home Audio
June 1, 2005 2:36:10 PM

I bought a USB hub at a hamfest for $7. I wanted it so that I wouldn't
have to get down on the floor and move the computer out so I could
plug something in. But the cable is too short and it only get it about
six inches from the rear edge of the computer. So I'm on a quest for a
USB "extension cord" - male A type connector on one end and female A
type on the other.

I've done the on-line search and found several in the $3-4 range
that's fair enough, but they're all from places that have minimum
orders that I can't meet without trying to find something else to buy
from them, or $9.95 shipping. Local stores like CompU$A and
Micro Center have fancy name brands for $16 - $25.

I guess they figure that by the time you're desperate enough
to need something like this, you're ready to pay the price. I
don't know where all these USB cables I have around here
came from (Do they multiply like coat hangers? Or maybe
they morph from Sharpie pens?) but I just cut one and spliced
it to the hub. I learned something in the process - at least two
totally unrelated pieces of USB cable have the same color
code. Must be a standard. Gotta go waste some time
checking that out.

June 1, 2005 8:52:41 PM

You have a Walmart nearby? 10' Belkin Type A for $6.97 --
http://tinyurl.com/dnq6k

Thanks for reminding me, I need a couple of those too...

Steve
Anonymous
June 2, 2005 12:22:11 AM

I bought a usb memory stick [ 265meg ] from best buy that came with an
extension for your convenience .

good luck , regards Greg

> I bought a USB hub at a hamfest for $7. I wanted it so that I wouldn't
> have to get down on the floor and move the computer out so I could
> plug something in. But the cable is too short and it only get it about
> six inches from the rear edge of the computer. So I'm on a quest for a
> USB "extension cord" - male A type connector on one end and female A
> type on the other.
>
> I've done the on-line search and found several in the $3-4 range
> that's fair enough, but they're all from places that have minimum
> orders that I can't meet without trying to find something else to buy
> from them, or $9.95 shipping. Local stores like CompU$A and
> Micro Center have fancy name brands for $16 - $25.
>
> I guess they figure that by the time you're desperate enough
> to need something like this, you're ready to pay the price. I
> don't know where all these USB cables I have around here
> came from (Do they multiply like coat hangers? Or maybe
> they morph from Sharpie pens?) but I just cut one and spliced
> it to the hub. I learned something in the process - at least two
> totally unrelated pieces of USB cable have the same color
> code. Must be a standard. Gotta go waste some time
> checking that out.

Can't find your answer ? Ask !
Anonymous
June 2, 2005 10:40:52 AM

In article <1117669961.369480.31630@g49g2000cwa.googlegroups.com> squeegybug@netspace1.com writes:

> You have a Walmart nearby? 10' Belkin Type A for $6.97 --

Actually, WallyMart was one of the more reasonably priced sources I
came up with on a web search. However, the nearest WalMart to me is 25
miles and more than half an hour away. I live too close in to have a
nearby WallWart. At $2.11/gallon for gas, it's a nice $10 cable to put
on a $7 hub.

June 2, 2005 1:18:52 PM

Mike Rivers wrote:
> I bought a USB hub at a hamfest for $7. I wanted it so that I wouldn't
> have to get down on the floor and move the computer out so I could
> plug something in. But the cable is too short and it only get it about
> six inches from the rear edge of the computer. So I'm on a quest for a
> USB "extension cord" - male A type connector on one end and female A
> type on the other.
>
> I've done the on-line search and found several in the $3-4 range
> that's fair enough, but they're all from places that have minimum
> orders that I can't meet without trying to find something else to buy
> from them, or $9.95 shipping. Local stores like CompU$A and
> Micro Center have fancy name brands for $16 - $25.

I had a similar experience, only I was looking for a (more-standard)
USB A-to-B cable.

I dug through all the stuff that had at Fry's (which is supposed to
be the king of both having obscure computer stuff and stocking
off-brand cheap stuff that costs half what other computer stores
carry), and I couldn't find anything approaching a good deal.

Then the next time I went to the local grocery store (an H-E-B for
those who live in tx.us), I found they had a plethora of cheap
USB cables, far cheaper than what was available at Fry's, and
certainly equal quality or better.

By the way, does your USB hub connect to the computer with a
standard A-to-B cable, like mine does? If so, what about just
substituting a longer one instead of getting an extension cord?

- Logan
Anonymous
June 2, 2005 2:02:39 PM

In article <0aAne.33498$6g3.16880@tornado.texas.rr.com> lshaw-usenet@austin.rr.com writes:

> Then the next time I went to the local grocery store (an H-E-B for
> those who live in tx.us), I found they had a plethora of cheap
> USB cables, far cheaper than what was available at Fry's, and
> certainly equal quality or better.

Maybe I should check Home Depot. They have inexpensive Cat5 Ethernet
cables and telephone cables.

> By the way, does your USB hub connect to the computer with a
> standard A-to-B cable, like mine does? If so, what about just
> substituting a longer one instead of getting an extension cord?

That's too easy. The cable is captive on the hub end - no connector.
It's just about the right length for a laptop (I cut and spliced the
tail of a mouse to use the the laptop on a desk without 4 feet of
extra cable) but too short to reach from the USB connector on the back
of the tower case over the top and to the front of the case. Since
this computer is on the floor under the desk, it was inconvenient to
plug something temporary into the USB port on the rear. It's not one
of those newfangled computers with USB connectors on the front. If it
was, I wouldn't need the hub.

I don't really need the hub as a hub, I'm using it as an extension
cord with a somewhat solidly mounted socket end. I have it attached to
the top of the case with Velcro, so I can push against it without
having to hold it, and so it doesn't slip off and fall back behind the
computer (defeating the purpose entirely).

June 3, 2005 12:43:20 AM

Mike Rivers wrote:
> I bought a USB hub at a hamfest for $7. I wanted it so that I wouldn't
> have to get down on the floor and move the computer out so I could
> plug something in. But the cable is too short and it only get it about
> six inches from the rear edge of the computer. So I'm on a quest for a
> USB "extension cord" - male A type connector on one end and female A
> type on the other.
>
> I've done the on-line search and found several in the $3-4 range
> that's fair enough, but they're all from places that have minimum
> orders that I can't meet without trying to find something else to buy
> from them, or $9.95 shipping. Local stores like CompU$A and
> Micro Center have fancy name brands for $16 - $25.
>
> I guess they figure that by the time you're desperate enough
> to need something like this, you're ready to pay the price. I
> don't know where all these USB cables I have around here
> came from (Do they multiply like coat hangers? Or maybe
> they morph from Sharpie pens?) but I just cut one and spliced
> it to the hub. I learned something in the process - at least two
> totally unrelated pieces of USB cable have the same color
> code. Must be a standard. Gotta go waste some time
> checking that out.

I bought an optical mouse for my laptop at a Walmart for $12 that came
with an USB extension cord. If you need a mouse also, you might
consider going this route and killing 2 birds with one stone.

Stan
Anonymous
June 4, 2005 5:26:07 AM

Hate to suggest it, but sometimes the cheapest easy-to-find extension
cable for a hub is another hub (much like plugging a power strip into a
power strip). Looking at it the other way, if you put this unit aside
and buy another you're only out $7; that's not bad for Learning
Experience Tax.

(BTW, hubs with 6" cables are generally intended for laptops. Most hubs
intended for desktop machines come with at least a 6' cable.)
Anonymous
June 4, 2005 11:15:09 AM

Mike Rivers wrote:

> I bought a USB hub at a hamfest for $7. I wanted it so that I wouldn't
> have to get down on the floor and move the computer out so I could
> plug something in. But the cable is too short and it only get it about
> six inches from the rear edge of the computer. So I'm on a quest for a
> USB "extension cord" - male A type connector on one end and female A
> type on the other.
>
> I've done the on-line search and found several in the $3-4 range
> that's fair enough, but they're all from places that have minimum
> orders that I can't meet without trying to find something else to buy
> from them, or $9.95 shipping. Local stores like CompU$A and
> Micro Center have fancy name brands for $16 - $25.
>
> I guess they figure that by the time you're desperate enough
> to need something like this, you're ready to pay the price. I
> don't know where all these USB cables I have around here
> came from (Do they multiply like coat hangers? Or maybe
> they morph from Sharpie pens?) but I just cut one and spliced
> it to the hub. I learned something in the process - at least two
> totally unrelated pieces of USB cable have the same color
> code. Must be a standard. Gotta go waste some time
> checking that out.

I've found that kind of stuff on ebay. For example a CD-ROM *digital*
audio cable that never ever seems to be supplied with a drive.

Here's something I found on US ebay.

$4.49 inc postage

Graham
Anonymous
June 4, 2005 2:22:48 PM

In article <P62dnbpHObb9pjzfRVn-gQ@comcast.com> keshlam-nospam@comcast.net writes:

> Hate to suggest it, but sometimes the cheapest easy-to-find extension
> cable for a hub is another hub

Nope, the cheapest easy-to-find extension was a cheap USB cable, wire
cutters, soldering iron, and some heat-shrink tubing. Took less time
than going to the store to buy another hub.

Side note To Lorin - This is an example of not buying at a place
where you can return it. Had I bought this at Micro Center, it would
have gone back on my next trip in that direction. The reason why I
didn't buy one there in the first place was that I have seen them for
under $10 frequently, but when I actually wanted to buy one, the only
ones they had for sale at the time were $14-20. This one came from a
hamfest and it's unlikely that I'd find the seller again.

> (BTW, hubs with 6" cables are generally intended for laptops. Most hubs
> intended for desktop machines come with at least a 6' cable.)

The one I bought was brand new, in a blister package. (NOS, for sure,
since it was for USB 1.1, not 2.0) I looked for the cable length on the
package and it didn't say how long it was. I could see a coil of cable
in the package and I guessed it would be long enough. It wasn't. So
I modified it to suit. That was easy to do in this case, but I don't expect
I could modify a USB input device to work with a computer's chipset. <g>

June 4, 2005 3:43:28 PM

On Sat, 04 Jun 2005 07:15:09 +0100, Pooh Bear
<rabbitsfriendsandrelations@hotmail.com> wrote:

>I've found that kind of stuff on ebay. For example a CD-ROM *digital*
>audio cable that never ever seems to be supplied with a drive.

Maybe because it's not needed? The "digital audio cable" nowadays is
the IDE bus.
Anonymous
June 5, 2005 11:40:09 AM

"Mike Rivers" <mrivers@d-and-d.com> wrote:

> Side note To Lorin - This is an example of not buying at a place
> where you can return it.

Yeah, but look at how much money you saved! <g>

> So I modified it to suit. That was easy to do in this case, but I
> don't expect I could modify a USB input device to work with a
> computer's chipset. <g>

As you've been known to say, "I'd rather switch than fight."

- Lorin David Schultz
in the control room
making even bad news sound good

(Remove spamblock to reply)
Anonymous
June 7, 2005 8:25:35 AM

>Mike Rivers wrote:
>> I bought a USB hub at a hamfest for $7. I wanted it so that I wouldn't
>> have to get down on the floor and move the computer out so I could
>> plug something in. But the cable is too short and it only get it about
>> six inches from the rear edge of the computer. So I'm on a quest for a
>> USB "extension cord" - male A type connector on one end and female A
>> type on the other.

FWIW, I just got an MPJ&A catalog (www.mpja.com), and on the front cover
they list a 3' USB type A male to female cable for $1, stock #15613-CB.
The minimum shipping charge will be a lot more than that, but you can
always order a roll of solder or something to make it worth it.

-- Adam
Anonymous
June 7, 2005 1:58:09 PM

In article <slrndaa8dv.bte.adamg@eskimo.com> adamg@pobox.comNOSPAM writes:

> FWIW, I just got an MPJ&A catalog (www.mpja.com), and on the front cover
> they list a 3' USB type A male to female cable for $1, stock #15613-CB.
> The minimum shipping charge will be a lot more than that

That's the rub. Really, everything costs the same. The sellers will
see to that.

June 7, 2005 8:31:35 PM

> That's the rub. Really, everything costs the same.
> The sellers will see to that.

Not always. I recently bought two 6' and one 25' TOSLINK cables. The latter
was like $15 (!!!) and works fine. The shipping cost was a little higher
than I would have liked, but the net cost per cable was much less than you'd
pay at Best Buy, Fry's, etc.
!