ATP checkride--2002-- ATTN. NICK

Franklin

Nick,
I can understand your frustration over the ifr check
ride. As I don't have a 2004 simulator as yet,
I can't help you with your problem. However I am having
difficulty passing the ATP check ride with the 737-400
2002.
I thought maybe if you have already been there you might
be able to give me some pointers.
Here is my problem...
I am West of the Calverton VOR and am told to fly direct
to the VOR and hold on the 090 degree radial.
I am told to turn to and hold 060 degrees after the VOR
for 1 minute, and then a right standard rate turn to a
heading of 270 degrees inbound to the VOR.
(the omni bearing selector is set for 270 degrees).
I am told to fly 090 degrees outbound and 270 degrees
inbound until I recieve further clearence.
My problem (frustration) comes
from the fact that as the 'to' arrow switches over to
the 'from' arrow after my inbound leg
I am told that I have flown out of the holding pattern
and have failed the test.
I have tried this many times, and always fail at exactly
this spot.

If you have any ideas I would sure like to hear about
them.
Thank You.

Franklin

nick

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Hi Franklin,

I am sorry to report that I haven't flown that ride for a
long time and I couldn't say what to do (or not).
However, having read the reply for my post and the
suggested sites listed there, I can hint you to the
digital display on FS2004(which I didn't even know
existed!): 3x SHIFT-Z. I hope FS2002 has that feature
also... I cannot check it as I already sold it. Perhaps
your heading is slightly off as the OBS knob obstructs
the precise heading? It surely helped me!

I will try the ATP ASAP. If I find anything on FS9 I'll
add another reply, OK?

Good Luck!

Michael

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Hi,

I have had that problem too and know how to fix it.
Because when you pass over the VOR the VOR turns to off.
This confuses the simulator and thinks you are so far
away that the VOR stops responding.
To fix this, fly to the left about 5 degrees, 3 NM before
reaching the VOR. You may have to fly left more than
five degrees to make it so the VOR doesn't go into off
position.

Michael