5) Maxtor 200GB DiamondMax Plus 9 ATA133 8MB Bare HDD
6) Teac 1.4MB 3.5" Black Floppy Drive
7) Toshiba Bare 16X/48X/2X DVD-Rom w/Black HDC Bezel
8) ATI AIW 9700 PRO 128MB DDR 8x AGP Video Card 6/23
9) Creative Labs Audigy 2 Platinum Sound Card
9.5) Creative Labs Sound Blaster Audigy 2 Black Bezel
10) Logitech Cordless Black Keyboard & Optical Mouse
11) Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition CD Version OEM

My first question: I'm going to end up using almost every bay in this tower (included here: 2x3.5"(fdd,hdd), 2x5.25"(dvd,sbp); home install: 1x5.25"(cdrw); future plans: 2x3.5"(hdd), 1x5.25"(dvdrw)), so do I need a better power supply than the 350W one that comes with the case? Can you suggest one with regards to my future plans?

My second question: I'm just a computer programmer, so I have limited knowledge of hardware. The components I'm most concerned about being compatible are the motherboard, cpu and memory. Are all my components compatible?

My third question: Will I be able to add the ATI TV Wonder VE TV Tuner and Video Capture Card to this motherboard (so that I can have picture-in-picture)?

My fourth question: I don't need a monitor because I already have one, but I also plan to pass a video signal to a projector (Epson PowerLite S1) that I will use as my home theatre system, will I get a 1080i signal from my DVD-ROM and Xbox through the video card (I've heard of limits on 720p and 1080i on it)?

kinetic_tw

Distinguished
May 29, 2003
so do I need a better power supply than the 350W one that comes with the case? Can you suggest one with regards to my future plans?
Yes, most definately. I highly reccommend the Antec TruePower series. You'll probably want no less than 430W. The Enermax and Fortron PSU's are also quality alternatives.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Hehe, the Fortron 400W puts out more power than the Antec TruePower 430W or the Enermax 430W, so...you can lower your recommendations when it comes to Fortron...and your prices too!

<font color=blue>Watts mean squat if you don't have quality!</font color=blue>

svol

Champion
I would advise you to get the A7N8X or another nForce2 board instead of the KT400. The KT400 doesn't support 400 MHz memory at that speed and has some AGP 8x problems. Also the nForce2 is faster then the KT400.

My CPU fan spins so fast that it creates a wormhole :eek:

mmattai

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2003
Thanks for the responses guys. I will definitely look into the 400W Fortron or a >430W Enermax. I will also look into a different board. I was under the assumption that I would be better off not getting an nForce board since I wasn't getting an nVidia video card. Ignorance is such bliss, until reality comes up behind you and slugs you with a bat! How does everything else look guys? Is AMD over an Intel still preferrable? Is the 8MB buffer in the HD worth it? How about the video card? And thanks again for the responses.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Hehe, I'm just pointing out that Antec is not the best brand, nor a good value, even though everyone keeps saying it is.

<font color=blue>Watts mean squat if you don't have quality!</font color=blue>