Tram

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2001
I have read in a few places that I would have to use 2 sticks of DDR memory to utilize its Double Data Rate to it’s fullest. Is this true?
Also, I can't decide whether I should go with 2 sticks of 512 and a Barton 2.5 OR 1 512 and a Barton 2.8 GHz then maybe add more at a later date. Thoughts?

xeenrecoil

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2003
heya Tram;

Dual Channel Memory Mode doubles your theoretical MAX bandwidth.
Which is twice the theoretical MAX of a single channel solution.
The memory works in pairs to create this, if you want to run 1GB of DDR in Dual Channel Memory Mode, you will need 2x512MB modules.
Dual Channel Memory Mode will give you a Noticable increase in performance.
You will need to buy a specific chipset that is Dual Channel Memory enabled, a few examples of this from intel are:
i865pe, i875p, i7205, i7505.

I hope this helps.

XeeN

JP5

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2003
Tram, it depends on the motherboard. If it is dual channel, then yes. If it is single channel then you can use 1.

Tram

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2001
oh, ok. Thanks guys... Yes it is a dual channel board. Epox EP-8RDA+ (price was right $84)
Much appreciated....
Ya know funny thing is I called a major memory maker about this(I won't say the cough, name, cough, crucial, cough) and she told me no, doesn't make a difference.
Go figure....
Thanks again.

Balderdash

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2003
After having the same confusion as you about this issue, I finally just got off my lazy butt and read the nvidia specifications of DuelDDR architecture.

If you want to utlize the new duel controller (2 seperate Ram controlers running independent of each other, both 64bit, for a total of 128 bit bandwidth, you need to use at least 2 DIMMS).

HOWEVER, what everyone seems to misunderstand, according to the nvidia fact sheet, is that you can use 3 DIMMS. You need to use at least 2 so that both controllers can be working at the same time, but you can also use 3. Just like a normal RAM controller can use 2 or more DIMMS, the dual controller also can use more than one slot.

In order to activate the dualDDR controllers and use the 128bit bandwidth of 2 controllers simultaneously, 1 DIMM must be placed in the 3 slot, and the other can go in the 1 or 2 slot OR you can have all three slots filled with a DIMM chip.

DualDDR means you have 2 controllers, they work in synch with each other to make 128 total bandwidth but otherwise they are no different than a normal single DDR controller in any other chip-set and can utilize more than 2 slots.