Best Way to attach 2 sets powered monitors to 1604 VLZ ?

Last response: in Home Audio
Share
June 2, 2005 5:17:58 PM

I have two sets of powered monitors that I would like to use mostly to
compare my mixes on.
One is balanced only TRS.
The other will take anything including RCA cables etc.

What is the best method for attaching these to a Mackie 1604 VLZ so I have
a minimum of button pushing to switch between them?

Currently I am using Subs 1+2 for one pair and 3+4 for the other pair.
This works, but it's a pita getting my fingers between the faders to hit
the 1-2 buttons on the channels.

Is there a better solution without buying something like a Big Knob or
such.

--
Dana Larsen
(Leave one 6 and remove everything after to reply)

a patch bay.
June 2, 2005 8:05:05 PM

On Thu, 02 Jun 2005 12:54:11 -0700, blckout420 wrote:

> a patch bay.

I realize that, but I was looking to only use the Mackie to switch between
monitors QUICKLY and easily. Meaning a button press or two.

--
Dana Larsen
(Leave one 6 and remove everything after to reply)
a b C Monitor
June 2, 2005 11:04:38 PM

In article <6bHne.2372$hg.1333@fe12.lga> dana_larsen66615kl4k3@yahoo.com writes:

> I have two sets of powered monitors that I would like to use mostly to
> compare my mixes on.
> One is balanced only TRS.
> The other will take anything including RCA cables etc.
>
> What is the best method for attaching these to a Mackie 1604 VLZ so I have
> a minimum of button pushing to switch between them?

You should get a box with a switch so you don't have to push any
buttons on the mixer at all. Connect the control room output to a
switchbox and use the switchbox's buttons to select the monitor you
want to listen to. Don't worry about balanced or unbalanced, just
adapt the connectors as necessary. If both sets of speakers take
balanced TRS cables, use that. Unbalanced TRS is the next best thing
(to the Mackie, it matters not).

> Currently I am using Subs 1+2 for one pair and 3+4 for the other pair.
> This works, but it's a pita getting my fingers between the faders to hit
> the 1-2 buttons on the channels.

You're working too hard. The 1604 VLZ has control room outputs and
that's where you should be connecting your speakers.

Look at the Samson C-Control (probably the cheapest of the lot),
Mackie Big Knob, or Presonus Central Station. They all do a little
more than you're asking, but you might find some good use for their
extra features. Or if you're a real cheapskate and are handy with
tools, you could build your own by mounting some connectors and a
switch in a box.

June 3, 2005 12:06:50 AM

On Thu, 02 Jun 2005 19:04:38 -0400, Mike Rivers wrote:

> You should get a box with a switch so you don't have to push any
> buttons on the mixer at all. Connect the control room output to a
> switchbox and use the switchbox's buttons to select the monitor you
> want to listen to. Don't worry about balanced or unbalanced, just
> adapt the connectors as necessary. If both sets of speakers take
> balanced TRS cables, use that. Unbalanced TRS is the next best thing
> (to the Mackie, it matters not).
>
>> Currently I am using Subs 1+2 for one pair and 3+4 for the other pair.
>> This works, but it's a pita getting my fingers between the faders to hit
>> the 1-2 buttons on the channels.
>
> You're working too hard. The 1604 VLZ has control room outputs and
> that's where you should be connecting your speakers.
>
> Look at the Samson C-Control (probably the cheapest of the lot),
> Mackie Big Knob, or Presonus Central Station. They all do a little
> more than you're asking, but you might find some good use for their
> extra features. Or if you're a real cheapskate and are handy with
> tools, you could build your own by mounting some connectors and a
> switch in a box.

Thank you Mike, the, ahem, Samson looks like it suits my needs.
I'm not a big fan of Samson, but, but, but,,,,,,,, this seems like a
simple enough device!!!

Thanks again!

--
Dana Larsen
(Leave one 6 and remove everything after to reply)
Anonymous
a b C Monitor
June 3, 2005 2:11:20 AM

On Thu, 02 Jun 2005 16:05:05 -0400, Dana
<dana_larsen66615kl4k3@yahoo.com> wrote:

>> a patch bay.
>
>I realize that, but I was looking to only use the Mackie to switch between
>monitors QUICKLY and easily. Meaning a button press or two.

If you have no better use for the 1/2 and 3/4 busses, you could route
everything to 1/2 AND 3/4. Then use the mute buttons.

But I don't expect you bought a mixer with 4 busses if you had no
better use for them than switching speakers :-) Buy or make a simple
switch box, mount it conveniently.
!