Is anyone here missing audio tape?

Last response: in Home Audio
a b G Storage
June 2, 2005 4:01:42 PM

I saw a few sealed tapes in my storage today and felt a nostalgia for
audio tape. I didn't actually pick any of them up but I think they were
those chrome ones, as I had preference for quality ones, and I adored
maxell brand, though I think those I saw upstairs were TDK.

Anyone still using tape here? I feel an impulse to look at tape
recording devices on ebay.

More about : missing audio tape

Anonymous
a b G Storage
June 2, 2005 6:20:13 PM

casioculture@gmail.com wrote:

> I saw a few sealed tapes in my storage today and felt a nostalgia for
> audio tape. I didn't actually pick any of them up but I think they were
> those chrome ones, as I had preference for quality ones, and I adored
> maxell brand, though I think those I saw upstairs were TDK.
>
> Anyone still using tape here? I feel an impulse to look at tape
> recording devices on ebay.

Yes, I recently recorded about 30 tapes to add to my collection. All
Maxell UDXL II and UDXL II-S.

I have a 3 head tape deck so I monitor off the tape as I record them.
All worked beautifully.
Anonymous
a b G Storage
June 3, 2005 3:04:51 AM

I justed track drums to cassette and 2 inch simultaneously a couple of
weeks ago and it sounded great.
a b G Storage
June 3, 2005 4:56:59 AM

<casioculture@gmail.com> wrote in message

> I saw a few sealed tapes in my storage today and felt a nostalgia for
> audio tape. I didn't actually pick any of them up but I think they were
> those chrome ones, as I had preference for quality ones, and I adored
> maxell brand, though I think those I saw upstairs were TDK.
>
> Anyone still using tape here? I feel an impulse to look at tape
> recording devices on ebay.

I listen to my cassette collection regularly, say once a year.

You can find hi-end machines like Nakamichi for silly money on Ebay.

Predrag
Anonymous
a b G Storage
June 3, 2005 4:57:00 AM

Predrag Trpkov wrote:
> I listen to my cassette collection regularly, say once a year.

I'm dubbing mine off so I'll listen to it more often (and so I have a
reference copy in case the tapes self-destruct).
Anonymous
a b G Storage
June 3, 2005 2:40:32 PM

I miss the smell of fresh tape , a friend of mine can still identify tape
30 yrs back by the smell .

rock on , regards Greg

<casioculture@gmail.com> wrote in message

> I saw a few sealed tapes in my storage today and felt a nostalgia for
> audio tape. I didn't actually pick any of them up but I think they were
> those chrome ones, as I had preference for quality ones, and I adored
> maxell brand, though I think those I saw upstairs were TDK.
>
> Anyone still using tape here? I feel an impulse to look at tape
> recording devices on ebay.

Anonymous
a b G Storage
June 3, 2005 6:07:13 PM

<casioculture@gmail.com> wrote:

>I saw a few sealed tapes in my storage today and felt a nostalgia for
>audio tape. I didn't actually pick any of them up but I think they were
>those chrome ones, as I had preference for quality ones, and I adored
>maxell brand, though I think those I saw upstairs were TDK.
>
>Anyone still using tape here? I feel an impulse to look at tape
>recording devices on ebay.

I use tape every day. I'd say the majority of non-classical production
work that I see is still being done on tape. I still have a storage unit
full of BASF 468.....
--scott

a b G Storage
June 3, 2005 6:43:21 PM

I'm not missing cassette, and since I track to 2" all the time I'm not
missing that either.
--Lou Gimenez
The Music Lab
2" 24track w all the Goodies
www.musiclabnyc.com

> From: "Mike Caffrey" <mike@monsterisland.com>
> Newsgroups: rec.audio.pro
> Date: 2 Jun 2005 23:04:51 -0700
> Subject: Re: Is anyone here missing audio tape?
>

> I justed track drums to cassette and 2 inch simultaneously a couple of
> weeks ago and it sounded great.

Anonymous
a b G Storage
June 3, 2005 8:20:48 PM

<casioculture@gmail.com> wrote in message news:1117737895.112095.143800@g44g2000cwa.googlegroups.com...

> I saw a few sealed tapes in my storage today and felt a nostalgia for
> audio tape. I didn't actually pick any of them up but I think they were
> those chrome ones, as I had preference for quality ones, and I adored
> maxell brand, though I think those I saw upstairs were TDK.
>
> Anyone still using tape here? I feel an impulse to look at tape
> recording devices on ebay.

I'm backing up a bunch of 2" 499 and GP-9 to Ensoniq Paris within the
next few weeks so I can have some tape to use for clients.

DM
Anonymous
a b G Storage
June 3, 2005 9:46:37 PM

Btw i have some used 3M 1/2" 996 gold metal reels plastic boxes
for sale or trade .

regards Greg

"GKB" <gboboski@shaw.ca> wrote in message
> I miss the smell of fresh tape , a friend of mine can still identify tape
> 30 yrs back by the smell .
>
> rock on , regards Greg
>
> <casioculture@gmail.com> wrote in message
> >

> > I saw a few sealed tapes in my storage today and felt a nostalgia for
> > audio tape. I didn't actually pick any of them up but I think they were
> > those chrome ones, as I had preference for quality ones, and I adored
> > maxell brand, though I think those I saw upstairs were TDK.
> >
> > Anyone still using tape here? I feel an impulse to look at tape
> > recording devices on ebay.

Anonymous
a b G Storage
June 4, 2005 3:33:47 AM

"Joe Kesselman" <keshlam-nospam@comcast.net> wrote in message
> Predrag Trpkov wrote:
> > I listen to my cassette collection regularly, say once a year.
>
> I'm dubbing mine off so I'll listen to it more often (and so I have a
> reference copy in case the tapes self-destruct).

Curiously enough, many of my cassettes are over 20 years old now and still
play and sound just fine. In fact, I don't remember any of them having
problems, let alone self-destructing in the past 10 years in spite of no
special attention given to the storage conditions. Even the ones I've kept
in the car for years in brutal environment show no (further) signs of
deterioration. I wish I could say the same for my carefully stored floppy
disks.

I also wish my CDR's would hold out that long.

Predrag
Anonymous
a b G Storage
June 4, 2005 6:05:47 PM

David Morgan (MAMS) Jun 3, 12:20 pm show options

Newsgroups: rec.audio.pro
From: "David Morgan \(MAMS\)" <m...@NOSPAm-a-m-s.com> - Find messages
by this author
Date: Fri, 03 Jun 2005 16:20:48 GMT
Subject: Re: Is anyone here missing audio tape?
original | Report Abuse

<casiocult...@gmail.com> wrote in message

> I saw a few sealed tapes in my storage today and felt a nostalgia for
> audio tape. I didn't actually pick any of them up but I think they were
> those chrome ones, as I had preference for quality ones, and I adored
> maxell brand, though I think those I saw upstairs were TDK.

> Anyone still using tape here? I feel an impulse to look at tape
> recording devices on ebay.

Well, I do own a Fostex X-12 4-Track. I started with an X-15 many years
ago (in fact its been almost 20 years!), I do miss the portability and
ease of use of it but not the sound quality.
Anonymous
a b G Storage
June 5, 2005 4:16:26 AM

<bruwhaha58097238@aol.com> wrote in message

> Well, I do own a Fostex X-12 4-Track. I started with an X-15 many years
> ago (in fact its been almost 20 years!), I do miss the portability and
> ease of use of it but not the sound quality.

Same here. I started exactly 20 years ago with the Fostex X-15. I couldn't
afford a new one and spent a month hitch-hiking across half of Europe before
finally finding a good-condition used X-15 in Frankfurt, Germany.

Predrag
!