Uninstall Windows 8

AS85

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2009
I just bought an Acer Aspire V3-771G - the hardware is solid but the OS is not. I want to install Win 7 on a new SSD. I've read that drivers need to be updated but I've never done a clean install before. Does anyone know a step by step resource?

Really your best bet would be to get use to Windows 8. The only thing that has really changed is the Start Menu and if given even half a chance you will find that it is easier and faster than Windows 7 ever was. There might be a small learning curve. The biggest problem is alot of Windows 8 based PC's are designed for Windows 8 and may not take Windows 7 very well if at all.

I really do not understand what people have against Windows 8 given how easy it is to use. Finding any app or game is so much easier searching is easier and running games and apps are at least on my rigs faster than Windows 7. And Windows 8 is a very solid OS!

However Acer does have all the drivers you would need for Windows 7 x64 on there site so if you really need to downgrade your system just download at least the network drivers and put them on a USB stick. That way you can install those after you downgrade and get online to get the rest of the drivers and such you need. There are plenty of how-to's online that can walk you though the actual process but in a nutshell you will need to boot from your DVD or USB stick that has Windows 7 on it and then the installer should walk you though the rest of it. Good luck but please consider getting used to Windows 8 it is really a solid OS that has a lot going for it

AS85

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2009
I completely disagree - Win8 is great for a touch interface for a tablet or phone but not for a laptop. I think they've got the Apple bug - they want to be hip and cool but people don't buy Windows to be cool - they do it to get work done. I'm willing to bet Win9 will revert back to the familiar interface - I can't see any business using this OS.

Anyhow, I just tried to install a trading application from Interactive Brokers and it is not launching.

I just replied to your other post, but it was removed, probably as you duplicate posted! You will choose Win7 drivers anyway, so no problem. Meanwhile try your application again, only this time Right Click the setup file and choose 'Troubleshoot Compatibility' This will set up the app in various different environments as far back as XP if you wish.
Edit
Driver link
http://www.acer.co.uk/ac/en/GB/content/drivers
(You normally get a warning before the duplicate post is obliterated!¬)
SSD link
http://thessdreview.com/ssd-guides/optimization-guides/the-ssd-optimization-guide-2/
Best remove HDD when you install, replace with SsD in same bay, then install HDD when you're done, format the large partition in your HDD, retain the Recovery Partition for the future to re-install 8 if requ. Relocate personal folders to the HDD to avoid clogging the SSD.

kyllien

Honorable
Jan 22, 2013

How to get something done in Windows 8 from a work stand point? When you first start up and log in you click the Outlook program on the start screen. This takes you to the desktop in one click rather then the normal two clicks (or trying to click a really small icon on the taskbar). Other applications and webpages can be pinned to the taskbar for quick access while in desktop mode.

Also, the start page can be arranged anyway you see fit. You can even uninstall all the "Metro" apps except Store (which can be unpinned).

If the start page is still so horrible it can be removed and the archaic start menu restored by using third party programs like Start8.

While the new features flow better on a touch screen, they are not that difficult to get used to with a mouse and keyboard.

As bryonhowley has stated that Acer have all the drivers you will need then there really is no problem to swap you laptop over to W7. You should be able to find a walk through on the internet. Check a few of them first don't just go with the first one you see and make sure you understand what it is talking about before you start.
laptops are a little different to a desktop PC . I have clean installed a few Laptops for friends and family in my time and generally just running the OS set up disc gives you a usable device.
Then go to device manager and check for any devices with yellow warning triangles next to them. this indicated a driver issue.
Then you just go to Acer and download and install the driver.

Windows 8 is to most users no better than W7. People post about fast boot times and better productivity. That's mainly psycho semantic and the result of a clean install.

Windows 8 is the answer to a question nobody asked. Its pointless innovation that benefits the company and no one else.
There are worthwhile innovations under the hood but the way its packaged has left many with a bad taste in their mouths and I doubt that just changing it back will help now. Damage done I'm afraid.

Mactronix :)

AS85

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2009
Thanks for your replies guys. I ended up getting an SSD and an OEM Win7 disc. Startup time is 15 seconds.

I'm currently installing the drivers - there are many to download but how do I know that all of them are needed for my computer? For instance, the list includes one for Bluetooth but I don't have Bluetooth. That one is obvious but how will I know which of the others are needed? There two for the touchpad - so which one should I download? Are they listed in the owner's manual?

Also, is there a specific order to install them in? For instance, should the chipset one be installed first?

AS85

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2009

One example would be installing a trading software from Interactive Brokers. Normally in Win7, I would have just downloaded the file into my folder and I would be up and running. It wasn't so simple in Win8 - the file wasn't found by Windows - it couldn't determine the path???

Another example was opening a PDF. The new reader opens up like a smartphone app and dominates the whole screen. The goal is to swipe to the right and select options for sharing via email. Nice but too invasive IMO.

The basic question is - why eliminate the Start menu all together? Why not give users the option to use the Start menu or the Start screen. Better yet, why not use the old desktop but have live tiles on the desktop? They made a huge mistake by creating something so drastic. They should've done the above and then eventually eliminated Start later on as users like me became more comfortable with the UI.

What I meant by productivity work is that I find it difficult to manage multiple programs. I usually have 10-20 browser windows open along with Excel, Word, and my trading software. I found it difficult to manage these programs. Normally, I have them pinned to my Start menu, as opposed to the Desktop. This allows me to open them without having to minimize any open programs.

I still believe the UI is VERY GOOD for a tablet or phone. But for a PC, I would go with live tiles on the desktop itself.

kyllien

Honorable
Jan 22, 2013

As far as where Windows 8 puts your downloads I would start by looking in your downloads folder. Open file explorer on the desktop and select downloads from the list of favorites. If it isn't there then if you are using the desktop IE 10 just press CTRL+J to open the view downloads window. If using the ModernUI IE10 then try opening the page in desktop mode first.

With Windows 8 you can still run desktop apps like Adobe Reader.

They didn't eliminate the start menu, they made it better. Instead of a two column start menu that only sorts things alphabetically by the folder the program is installed in, you can sort the start menu anyway you like including creating program groups.

As far as your last point. You can still open as many IE windows or tabs as you need and still pin them all to your taskbar. Don't hide your taskbar and you still have easy access to the pinned apps. The process for opening apps on the start menu is the same. Click the start menu or press the windows key.

Personally I would like to see them get rid of the desktop mode altogether and make the ModernUI work partially like desktop mode and partially like the MordernUI.

Ideally run something like Belarc Advisor from Win 8 before you start, to identify your components. If too late, order not desperately important, but Chipset a good one to start. VGA, choose one to match your CPU, and PHYSX if you have it. USB3, WLAN (If you get the wrong one it will soon tell you! Same applies to touchpad) Then LAN, Camera, Card Reader etc. AHCI a good idea for the SSD, Ideally you should choose AHCI before you install Windows. Not used Intel's Intelligent Management Technology, might as well load the driver anyway!

Agree with your point regarding pdf, you need to download Adobe Reader to your desktop and use that instead of the Win 8 version. As for other Apps you can have them all on your Start Screen opened by tiles, a click on the Winkey takes you to the Start screen the same as the start button. I sincerely believe you could get 8 to work the way you wish....I have 9 tabs open in Ie and as many Apps 'live' on the taskbar as I want...

AS85

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2009
Guys, my computer has an Nvidia GT730M and I'm not sure which driver to download for it. The Acer website gives me 4 options:
1. VGA - Intel - VGA Driver (I'm assuming this is for the HD4000 Intel chip) so I need it
2. VGA - NVIDIA - VGA Driver
3. VGA - NVIDIA - VGA Driver (PHYSX)
4. VGA - NVIDIA - VGA Driver (PhysX)

Do I need 2-4?

Best bet go to Nvidia's website and download the latest...
http://www.nvidia.co.uk/Download/index.aspx?lang=en-uk
What size SSD did you get? I originally assumed that your rig would have 2 drive bays, but seems not. Presumably you won't need vast storage space...

AS85

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2009

I called Acer and only 1 and 2 are needed. Confirmed by a few replies to my post as well:
https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/534931/geforce-drivers/gt-730m-4gb/?offset=4#3759203

I got a Samsung 840 Pro Series 128 GB - just for the OS. I'm mainly going to use it to run my trading platform. You are correct, there are two drive bays and only 2 RAM slots (for a 17" machine?). It came with 1TB of 5400 RPM. The boot time now is 15 seconds (without password) :)

Samsung a good choice, I manage on a 60 Gb 830 series. I've yet to see more than 2 RAM slots in a laptop, but the amount of RAM per stick seems to be rising all the time! I directed you to the Nvidia site because the Laptop Manufacturer's drivers are usually out-of-date compared with those available from Nvidia, but for what you're doing, not a worry! Good that you have 2 drive bays, storage not a concern. I've upgraded a few smaller Acers using a 64Gb SD card for storage as they only had the one drive bay, perfect unless you want to store videos and masses of pictures/music. Enjoy your new laptop!

AS85

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2009

The previous versions of the Aspire V3 series actually had 4 slots so if we wanted to get up to 16GB, we only needed two more 4GBx2 sticks instead of 8GBx2 now. The new Toshiba Satellite 17" has 4 RAM slots for a max of 24GB and 2 HDDs. Will I ever use 24GB - no? :)

Thanks for the help guys!