winDVD or PowerDVD

donnore

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2003
Which is better, winDVD or PowerDVD?
I can only choose between these two, cause they allow me to make them region free (with other software).

I have a PIII 450Mhz.

Thanks in advance,
Marcel

elzt

Distinguished
May 10, 2002
I have both software, WinDVD Platinum 4.5 and PowerDVD 4. Here are what I found when comparing them:

Picture quality: WinDVD is slightly better than PowerDVD
Sound quality (stereo): WinDVD is slightly better
Sound quality (ac-3): PowerDVD is slightly better
Video features/settings: WinDVD has more
Sound features/settings: WinDVD has more
User interface/playback controls: PowerDVD is better and easier to use
Playlist management: PowerDVD is easier to use
Loading time: PowerDVD loads much faster

To make WinDVD region free, you can use the software WinDVD Tweaker Pro. And to make PowerDVD region free, use either DVD Region Killer or DVD Genie.

The above are just my personal opinions, others might disagree.

donnore

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2003
I finaly decided on the winDVD 5 Plat.
The program is good but not as good as I would had expected...the sound is a little thin in stero(my avi vids on WMP sound fuller), I could never get a good enough image no matter how much I tweeked. The program also tends to freeze and gets dicoloured sometimes.
I find the menus to be pretty straight forward.
I´m using DVDIdle to make it region free, and it works!

My DVD-rom player is a LiteOn 16x, does the DVD-rom player affect much the playback quality?...cause the image on the DVDs are to grainy.

Thanks for the help elzt!

elzt

Distinguished
May 10, 2002
Maybe version 5 of winDVD Plat has improved user interface coz on my version I need to make a few clicks before I can say change the sound settings. Also the playback controls are not that well laid out. Perhaps I should upgrade mine to version 5.

I don't think DVD-ROM player affect much the playback quality. It's the software codecs for decoding the video and the hardware graphics card that affect the quality. Also, you mentioned your program tends to freeze. I think the problem is caused by your PIII 450Mhz which is kind of slow for software DVD playback.

elzt

Distinguished
May 10, 2002
Say goodbye to my <i>old hand</i> title and hello to the new title. :)
I really like the <i>old hand</i> title better.

Ignore this post.

TRENDING THREADS