MIssing CDROM

chanmy8

Distinguished
May 12, 2002
Hi,
I got problem of missing CD ROM after I reinstall my CDROM. I found that that is driver problem of the primary/secondary IDE controller. So, I download the latest VIA 4 in 1 driver (I am using SOYO SY-7VCA MB) and install it. However, it still the same!! Any ideas?

Thank you

hammerhead

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2001
Is the drive visible in Device Manager?

<b> Start > Settings > Control Panel </b>

Double Click <b> System, </b> click <b>Device Manager</b> tab, double-click <b>CD-ROM </b>

Is your system running in compatibility mode? (As above, but click performance tab).

TimHather

Distinguished
May 7, 2002
Try running fdisk /mbr at the command prompt and/or boot from a floppy created from the same version of windows then running sys c: from the A:> prompt and/or run regedit then search for noide and delete the key if it is found. The noide one is a bit strange. Windows if it has a problem with the secondary IDE controller it sets this flag that tells it to ignore the secondary IDE for the rest of eternity.

Hope this helps

Tim

Live and Let Live, and Death to anyone who says otherwise!!!

jasen

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2001
How exactly will clearing the master boot record of the hard drive help a cdrom driver issue? Or 'sys'ing the HD for that matter?

The regedit trick I agree with.

CALV

Distinguished
May 17, 2001
How exactly will clearing the master boot record of the hard drive help a cdrom driver issue? Or 'sys'ing the HD for that matter?
I was wondering that also

If they squeeze olives to get olive oil, how do they get baby oil?

sturm

Splendid
i lost my cdrom when my mbr was changed due to the junkie boot virus. both my primary and secondary controllers were yellow out in the windows device manager. once i was able to remove the virus everyting came back to normal. soooo. check to make sure u dont have a virus somewhere.

CALV

Distinguished
May 17, 2001
the cdrom has NOTHING at all to do with the MBR. IDE controllers- fair enough, lets not confuse the issue here with false information.

If they squeeze olives to get olive oil, how do they get baby oil?

sturm

Splendid
no the mbr doesnt have anything to do directly with a cdrom. what happend is windows deected that my mbr had changed, ran the hardrives in ms-dos compatability mode, hence the yellow ' ! ' on bothe my primary and secondary controllers, hence cdrom wouldnt work. fixed the virus, windows loaded normal had my cdrom back.