nick

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I have this system all together, except for some of the power supply. This case has 3 fans, what in the world hooks up to them? Does it matter? Can I daisy chain them?
Would of been nice if the power supply came with instruction! I can't believe I am stuck on this!!

THX !!

Abit IS7
case: chieftec AX-01BLD
Fortron FSP350

sturm

Splendid
Most case fans will run off of the extra Hard Drive power connectors. Just dont use the same ones that the hard drive is hooked to.
Yes you can daisy chain them. they dont pull that much power.
You can also get fans that have the small 3 wire connection just like the cpu fan to hook up to the motherboard if it has them. They will be marked case fan on the motherboard. Most boards only have 1 connection for a case fan

nick

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
This Mobo has 2 "aux fan" hook ups on it !! So, Case Fans are different than "AUX fan" hook ups? Is that why the case fans have 4 pins and not 3?
Do I need to buy new Case Fans with the 3 pins or is there an adaptor?
I still have some 4 pins not hooked up to anything from the power supply.

THX

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Nick on 06/27/03 09:12 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

svol

Champion
Don't put them in serie! If you place them in serie there will be no more 12V over the fans because of the different resistances of the fans. Just put them parallel and all will be well.

My CPU fan spins so fast that it creates a wormhole :eek:

nick

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Svol, THX,
To clarify, I don't hook up the 3 case fans to the motherboard Aux fans. Right?

I hook up the 3 case fans (daisy-chain)to one of the 4pin from the power supply.

Each of the case fans have one 4pin female and 4pin male.

Here is what I have hooked up, to confuse everyone further!

--power to floppy drive and cd rw

--power to 80gig hard drive and also 120gig hard drive

Available :

the last two are also hooked to the mobo via a yellow and black wire "ATX12V1"
-- 2 4pin males
-- 1 4pin male and one that is the same as what was hooked up to the floppy drive.

I should hook up the fans to the 2 4 pin males, Right? The female fan goes into the male of the 4pin from the power supply?

Everyone confused? Has to be too simple!!

THX

jihiggs

Splendid
Oct 11, 2001
if your talking about true series then your right, but i have not seen any fans that connect to power like that. the standard passthrough molex connectors are parralel.

<font color=red> black </font color=red> <font color=green> white </font color=green> <font color=blue> yellow </font color=blue> <font color=orange> purple </font color=orange> <font color=black> red </font color=black> <font color=yellow> green </font color=yellow> <font color=purple> blue </font color=purple>

nick

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Just wanted to let ya all know, I got all 3 fans hooked up!!
The system is up and running and is it FAST!! The games are awesome!

THX

jihiggs

Splendid
Oct 11, 2001
yea, i know, im just confused where that came from. daisy chaining the power connectors is not series.

<font color=red> black </font color=red> <font color=green> white </font color=green> <font color=blue> yellow </font color=blue> <font color=orange> purple </font color=orange> <font color=black> red </font color=black> <font color=yellow> green </font color=yellow> <font color=purple> blue </font color=purple>

svol

Champion
I thought daisy chaining was connecting the first fans red with the second fans black, the second fans red with the third fans black... etc etc etc.

My CPU fan spins so fast that it creates a wormhole :eek: