Transferring OS and file from one hard drive to new larger one

rcbaker72744

Honorable
Jul 10, 2012
I have laptop with one of the windows OS on it and want to transferr OS and all the file to it,problem is i do not have the cd or product key, so i may be able to transfer all the file but how can i transfer the OS and have never paritioned a hard drive either. i have seen the r alot of gatgets out their and on ebay thay sys all u have to do is plug it in to the laptops usb , and plug the new hard drive to the cloner and just transfer all files,, but it says nothing about transferring the OS or MS office 2010 or any thing with product codes so is the any product on the market to transfer everything to new hard drive same speed just from 89GB to 350GB,, Thank you for your time rcbaker72744

rcbaker72744

Honorable
Jul 10, 2012

The problem with what your say is the laptop did have winXP Pro which still has th product key still on the bottom of the lapop. The person i got it from has put windows 7 Enterprise on it so i have no disk or product key but i want to transfer the OS 7 enterprise along with MS Office 2010 which has product key to which i don't have either thank you.

drjiga

Honorable
Apr 13, 2012

Use EaseUS Partition Master (home edition is free) to clone your drive and then transfer it to the new drive.

I recently performed this operation to migrate from HDD to SSD -- and was in a similar situation, didn't want to go through the hassle of tracking down all of my software keys.

The HDD cloning took a while but everything was transfered to the new drive successfully. Couple of things to keep in mind -- 1) if you go this route, make sure you back up everything first and 2) The bootloader might not work right away after you install the cloned drive -- so make sure you have the Windows installation disk, boot from disk and perform repair. This worked for me.

rcbaker72744

Honorable
Jul 10, 2012

The big the problem i have is i do not have the any disk i clueing the win 7 OS or the product key, i would like to know if everything eles is in the computer regstister then why is the product key not in the to some place thank you