Sign in with
Your question

Sound card suggestion for 2.1 speakers...

Last response: in Components
June 26, 2003 9:51:15 PM

I am going to purchase the <A HREF="http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduct.asp?description=3..." target="_new">Klipsch 2.1 THX</A> speakers.

I was gonna just use onboard sound at first, but I've been researching and I think this might be a mistake. Since these are exceptional 2.1 speakers, would I be better off with a sound card like the <A HREF="http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduct.asp?description=2..." target="_new">Turtle Beach Santa Cruz</A>? And it states that it doesn't come with an audio cable. I looked up audio cables but there are different pins etc. Which one would I need?

Basically I want your opinions on which sound card would get the best(without going overboard like an Audigy 2)out of these speakers. I would only be surfing the web, playing games, watching tv shows, and listening to music.

Thanks in advance.

P.S. I understand that a 4.1 or 5.1 system would be nicer to have but it's just not for me. So please don't suggest upgrading to surround. Thanks.

--

"<i>I'm seriously you guys.</i>" - Cartman
June 28, 2003 4:43:23 AM

I just replaced a Live! MP3+ with a Santa Cruz. Playback on 5 year old Cambridge Soundworks 2+1's is about the same. Creative cards come with more software (the retail versions) but have some entertaining issues to worry about. About the only difference is that the Santa Cruz is a bit more efficient with the host CPU for MP3 playback.

Audio cables should come with the speakers.

ST
June 28, 2003 9:26:04 AM

Thanks for the knowledge. I am currently using an SB Live! sound card. Do you think it would be worth it to upgrade to a santa cruz or audigy for the speakers I'm getting? Or would my current card be sufficient?

--

Related resources
June 30, 2003 10:03:31 PM

I would get a OEM audigy 2 unless you have an athlon, then i'd prob do a mobo upgrade and get the nforce audio.. might be able to knock out a lot of birds with one stone that way

Athlon 1700+, Epox 8RDA (NForce2), Maxtor Diamondmax Plus 9 80GB 8MB cache, 2x256mb Crucial PC2100 in Dual DDR, Geforce 3, Audigy, Z560s, MX500
July 1, 2003 4:22:28 AM

Well, right now I'm currently running an Athlon XP 1500 but I plan to upgrade in September for Half-Life 2. I figured why not upgrade my speakers now. My new rig will be a P4 2.8c, 1gb PC3500, Ati 9800pro etc. Knowing this should I still go for the Audigy 2 if I don't plan on using any of it's superfluous features? I want the best cheap sound card with standard features(for games, music, tv shows etc.) that will get the best out of these speakers.

Thanks for the reply kinney.

--

July 1, 2003 5:10:50 AM

I think it goes for $60 oem.. its got the best sound quality. I use it for that, not the features.

Athlon 1700+, Epox 8RDA (NForce2), Maxtor Diamondmax Plus 9 80GB 8MB cache, 2x256mb Crucial PC2100 in Dual DDR, Geforce 3, Audigy, Z560s, MX500
July 1, 2003 7:54:42 AM

Cool. I guess I just always thought of Audigy 2 being praised mostly for it's features. I never really thought about it's sound quality but I guess that's why it's the best.

Looks like I'm gonna go with the OEM Audigy 2.

'preciate the help.

--

July 1, 2003 8:05:46 AM

np, firingsquad.com has a good, fair review of the audigy if you want to check it out

!