fs9 gets a problem and closes down

This problem only occurs when overflying Scotland or the
adjacent county of Cumbria, UK. Flight Simulator simply
stops, the screen goes black, until a message box appears
saying that if has a fatal problem. Usually, it offers to
send a report of the situation to Microsoft.

Are there any fixes, patches, or work-arrounds for this.

My Machine is a Dimension 4600 from DELL this year
recomended for games.
8 answers Last reply
More about problem closes down
  1. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.games.zone.simulation (More info?)

    Does this happen in the vicinity of Glasgow... and/or are
    you using add-on ScotFlight scenery.
    s -------------------------------------------------------

  2. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.games.zone.simulation (More info?)

    2x2 a écrit :
    > This problem only occurs when overflying Scotland or the
    > adjacent county of Cumbria, UK. Flight Simulator simply
    > stops, the screen goes black, until a message box appears
    > saying that if has a fatal problem. Usually, it offers to
    > send a report of the situation to Microsoft.
    >
    > Are there any fixes, patches, or work-arrounds for this.
    >
    > My Machine is a Dimension 4600 from DELL this year
    > recomended for games.

    I had a similar problem when flying towards (not from) the Netherlands.
    This had occurred since right after I'd installed Netherlands 2000 v2.91
    scenery add-on and disappeared after I uninstalled it.

    What add-on mesh, landclass etc. do you use for UK/Scotland ?
  3. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.games.zone.simulation (More info?)

    Yes indeed.
    It happens south of Glasgow approaching the beacon DCS.
    It happens approaching both from the south, and flying out
    of Cumbernauld.

    2x2

  4. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.games.zone.simulation (More info?)

    I have installed VFR photographic Scenery from Just
    Flight. This reaches no further north than 54 degrees N.
    I disabled it from the Settings menu in FS.
  5. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.games.zone.simulation (More info?)

    I have since found Katy Pluta's recommendation which
    helps, Namely:-
    Find the TERRAIN.CFG file in the FS9 (sic)folder, open it
    in Notepad and replace BOTH MaskClassMap=1 AND
    MaskClassMap=3 with MaskClassMap=0. She explains that
    this disables the blending of roads and rivers that cause
    the bug.

    Alternatively: there is a work arround. You simple change
    the season(!)

  6. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.games.zone.simulation (More info?)

    On Fri, 2 Jul 2004 07:31:28 -0700,

    >I have since found Katy Pluta's recommendation which
    >helps, Namely:-
    >Find the TERRAIN.CFG file in the FS9 (sic)folder, open it
    >in Notepad and replace BOTH MaskClassMap=1 AND
    >MaskClassMap=3 with MaskClassMap=0. She explains that
    >this disables the blending of roads and rivers that cause
    >the bug.
    >
    >Alternatively: there is a work arround. You simple change
    >the season(!)

    Or change the date by a few weeks. This also happens WITHOUT add on
    scenery!

    This is the one area I get pissed off with M$ about. There should be
    a fix for this problem issued and I don't mean the NotePad edit!!!!

    Also take note this "fix" doesn't work 100% of the time. I can
    understand my FS9 installation barfing because I have freeware and
    payware scenery plus scenery I have designed myself but I have a
    relative running a 100% stock copy of FS9 (other than the "fix" Katy
    mentioned) and his still locks up a few times a month and always in
    the same spot.
  7. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.games.zone.simulation (More info?)

    i agree bomber,

    the first time it happened to me, i went in blind thinking i had
    contracted a bug or a virus of some sort, even though i always keep up to
    date with my mcaffee and critical updates.
    after lost hours of scan disk, defrag, file checker,adaware,virus scan,
    zone alarm reconfig, i finally posted here and found out it was a bug in the
    fs2004.
    yes it would be nice if micro$oft would issue a patch.
    as suggested by other posts, the patch will cost us another $50 or so when
    the next flightsim is released.
    also some of us will have to upgrade our puters in someway to handle the
    graphics, so there's another couple $100 or so.
    man this is a viscious cycle !

    "BomberX" <alt@Ctrl> wrote in message
    > On Fri, 2 Jul 2004 07:31:28 -0700,
    > <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
    >
    > >I have since found Katy Pluta's recommendation which
    > >helps, Namely:-
    > >Find the TERRAIN.CFG file in the FS9 (sic)folder, open it
    > >in Notepad and replace BOTH MaskClassMap=1 AND
    > >MaskClassMap=3 with MaskClassMap=0. She explains that
    > >this disables the blending of roads and rivers that cause
    > >the bug.
    > >
    > >Alternatively: there is a work arround. You simple change
    > >the season(!)
    >
    > Or change the date by a few weeks. This also happens WITHOUT add on
    > scenery!
    >
    > This is the one area I get pissed off with M$ about. There should be
    > a fix for this problem issued and I don't mean the NotePad edit!!!!
    >
    > Also take note this "fix" doesn't work 100% of the time. I can
    > understand my FS9 installation barfing because I have freeware and
    > payware scenery plus scenery I have designed myself but I have a
    > relative running a 100% stock copy of FS9 (other than the "fix" Katy
    > mentioned) and his still locks up a few times a month and always in
    > the same spot.
  8. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.games.zone.simulation (More info?)

    On Sat, 3 Jul 2004 23:18:32 -0700, "me @ comcast" <me @ comcast>
    wrote:

    > yes it would be nice if micro$oft would issue a patch.
    > as suggested by other posts, the patch will cost us another $50 or so when
    >the next flightsim is released.

    If you think about it M$ uses this same "model" with much of their
    software. They seem better with operating systems but quite a few of
    the non-security related bugs never get fixed until a service pack
    becomes available. We all know these can be years apart.

    If this was a bug which altered the look of something or maybe slowed
    FS down slightly it wouldn't be a big deal but we are talking about a
    major crash here....in other words the program isn't working
    as advertised. This calls for a free fix. If this was a car it would
    be recalled.

Games Microsoft Video Games