fs9 gets a problem and closes down

This problem only occurs when overflying Scotland or the
adjacent county of Cumbria, UK. Flight Simulator simply
stops, the screen goes black, until a message box appears
saying that if has a fatal problem. Usually, it offers to
send a report of the situation to Microsoft.

Are there any fixes, patches, or work-arrounds for this.

My Machine is a Dimension 4600 from DELL this year
recomended for games.

Sam

Does this happen in the vicinity of Glasgow... and/or are
you using add-on ScotFlight scenery.
s -------------------------------------------------------

2x2 a écrit :
> This problem only occurs when overflying Scotland or the
> adjacent county of Cumbria, UK. Flight Simulator simply
> stops, the screen goes black, until a message box appears
> saying that if has a fatal problem. Usually, it offers to
> send a report of the situation to Microsoft.
>
> Are there any fixes, patches, or work-arrounds for this.
>
> My Machine is a Dimension 4600 from DELL this year
> recomended for games.

I had a similar problem when flying towards (not from) the Netherlands.
This had occurred since right after I'd installed Netherlands 2000 v2.91
scenery add-on and disappeared after I uninstalled it.

What add-on mesh, landclass etc. do you use for UK/Scotland ?

Yes indeed.
It happens south of Glasgow approaching the beacon DCS.
It happens approaching both from the south, and flying out
of Cumbernauld.

2x2

I have installed VFR photographic Scenery from Just
Flight. This reaches no further north than 54 degrees N.
I disabled it from the Settings menu in FS.

I have since found Katy Pluta's recommendation which
helps, Namely:-
Find the TERRAIN.CFG file in the FS9 (sic)folder, open it
in Notepad and replace BOTH MaskClassMap=1 AND
MaskClassMap=3 with MaskClassMap=0. She explains that
this disables the blending of roads and rivers that cause
the bug.

Alternatively: there is a work arround. You simple change
the season(!)

On Fri, 2 Jul 2004 07:31:28 -0700,

>I have since found Katy Pluta's recommendation which
>helps, Namely:-
>Find the TERRAIN.CFG file in the FS9 (sic)folder, open it
>in Notepad and replace BOTH MaskClassMap=1 AND
>MaskClassMap=3 with MaskClassMap=0. She explains that
>this disables the blending of roads and rivers that cause
>the bug.
>
>Alternatively: there is a work arround. You simple change
>the season(!)

Or change the date by a few weeks. This also happens WITHOUT add on
scenery!

This is the one area I get pissed off with M$ about. There should be
a fix for this problem issued and I don't mean the NotePad edit!!!!

Also take note this "fix" doesn't work 100% of the time. I can
understand my FS9 installation barfing because I have freeware and
payware scenery plus scenery I have designed myself but I have a
relative running a 100% stock copy of FS9 (other than the "fix" Katy
mentioned) and his still locks up a few times a month and always in
the same spot.

ME

i agree bomber,

the first time it happened to me, i went in blind thinking i had
contracted a bug or a virus of some sort, even though i always keep up to
date with my mcaffee and critical updates.
after lost hours of scan disk, defrag, file checker,adaware,virus scan,
zone alarm reconfig, i finally posted here and found out it was a bug in the
fs2004.
yes it would be nice if micro$oft would issue a patch.
as suggested by other posts, the patch will cost us another $50 or so when
the next flightsim is released.
also some of us will have to upgrade our puters in someway to handle the
graphics, so there's another couple $100 or so.
man this is a viscious cycle !

On Sat, 3 Jul 2004 23:18:32 -0700, "me @ comcast" <me @ comcast>
wrote:

> yes it would be nice if micro$oft would issue a patch.
> as suggested by other posts, the patch will cost us another $50 or so when
>the next flightsim is released.

If you think about it M$ uses this same "model" with much of their
software. They seem better with operating systems but quite a few of
the non-security related bugs never get fixed until a service pack
becomes available. We all know these can be years apart.

If this was a bug which altered the look of something or maybe slowed
FS down slightly it wouldn't be a big deal but we are talking about a
major crash here....in other words the program isn't working
as advertised. This calls for a free fix. If this was a car it would
be recalled.