Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Baffling Internet Speed problem...

Tags:
Last response: in Windows 7
Share
July 10, 2012 5:49:30 PM

Hi. I hope someone here can solve this puzzle i have which has been bugging me for a couple of months now.

Firstly i would like to state that this is NOT a telephone line, modem or even i would say computer hardware issue. I am certain that this is a software issue of some kind.

Ok problem is, when i do a speed test on this computer in my house my upload speed tops out at 0.20Mbps but whenever i do speed test on my other PC or laptop, connected to the same modem (wireless or wired) i can achieve upload speeds of 0.60Mbps (still pathetic i know) Now any gamer who's fairly knowledgeable will know, upload speed is king compared to download.

The reason i am fairly certain this is a software issue is, when i boot this PC in safe mode with networking (windows 7 x64 btw) i actually achieve the same upload speed as my other pc's.

So, other than uninstalling everything and checking one by one where the issue lies, what is the best way to finding out whats causing this limitation of upload speed?

Here i am with a £1500 PC, but being hampered so much in terms of online gaming.

Are there any programs i can use to help?

Thanks for taking time to read.

**EDIT** i should have stated, i have done complete virus scans with Nod32 and Malwarebytes and do so regularly as well as registry clean ups and CCleaner clean ups.
a b $ Windows 7
July 10, 2012 6:00:26 PM

If it is software you may be able to isolate it by:
1. Close all programs except the browser.
2. Go to task manager and terminate all services that are running except the browser and essential window services.
3. Test again and if it improves start each service and test.
4. Rinse and repeat.
a b $ Windows 7
July 10, 2012 6:01:25 PM

Quote:
Firstly i would like to state that this is NOT a telephone line, modem or even i would say computer hardware issue. I am certain that this is a software issue of some kind.


So if you know these pieces aren't the issue then you wouldn't have a problem. You also state you haven't tested any of these so how can you know this?
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
a b $ Windows 7
July 10, 2012 6:05:28 PM

if your mb has an intel network chipset. it the intel safe search driver. that slowing your speeds down..a lot of us gamers on rog with new asus sabertooth boards would install the driver disk for the network cards and our internet speeds would be crippled till we removed all of the intel crap and just installed the network driver. I would also check if your using the realteck chipset that you have the newest one from realtech web page and our mb chipset drivers are up to date.
July 10, 2012 6:07:54 PM

Dogsnake said:
If it is software you may be able to isolate it by:
1. Close all programs except the browser.
2. Go to task manager and terminate all services that are running except the browser and essential window services.
3. Test again and if it improves start each service and test.
4. Rinse and repeat.


Refreshingly simple answer and i feel a bit stupid for not doing this already. Thanks!
July 10, 2012 6:11:51 PM

ahnilated said:
Quote:
Firstly i would like to state that this is NOT a telephone line, modem or even i would say computer hardware issue. I am certain that this is a software issue of some kind.


So if you know these pieces aren't the issue then you wouldn't have a problem. You also state you haven't tested any of these so how can you know this?



Sorry if you misunderstood, i know its not a telephone hardware issue because the computers i have connected to the same router have much better speed test results, but yes the first thing i did was test the telephone line/modem. Also i gain a relatively big improvement when i run the speed test on the same computer thats having the problems, but in safe mode with networking, which makes me feel this is a software/driver issue.
July 10, 2012 6:24:31 PM

smorizio said:
if your mb has an intel network chipset. it the intel safe search driver. that slowing your speeds down..a lot of us gamers on rog with new asus sabertooth boards would install the driver disk for the network cards and our internet speeds would be crippled till we removed all of the intel crap and just installed the network driver. I would also check if your using the realteck chipset that you have the newest one from realtech web page and our mb chipset drivers are up to date.



I have the internet connected through the Ethernet port, which is a Broadcom NetLink (TM) Gigabit Ethernet as stated by Device Manager but i did install some Intel Rapid Storage software which came with my motherboard (ASRock Z68 Extreme4 Gen3)
July 10, 2012 7:01:45 PM

Dogsnake said:
If it is software you may be able to isolate it by:
1. Close all programs except the browser.
2. Go to task manager and terminate all services that are running except the browser and essential window services.
3. Test again and if it improves start each service and test.
4. Rinse and repeat.



Just tried this fully now... it still doesnt get my missing 0.40Mbps back

now im even more confused than ever.

a b $ Windows 7
July 10, 2012 7:08:29 PM

This is most likely due to some of the crazy driver and TCP stack optimizations that Windows has. Turn off QoS in the Adapter settings, this tends to reserve bandwidth unnecessarily and often improperly.

Second, go to the "Advanced" tab on the adapter's properties (Configure -> Advanced from the previous screen) and ensure that Interrupt Moderation is turned on, all checksum offloads are enabled (this shouldn't affect it though), Jumbo Frame is disabled, and Flow Control is enabled. Some of these options may be missing and you may have to install manufacturer drivers rather than the generic Windows ones to get them.

Good luck
July 10, 2012 7:41:51 PM

Pinhedd said:
This is most likely due to some of the crazy driver and TCP stack optimizations that Windows has. Turn off QoS in the Adapter settings, this tends to reserve bandwidth unnecessarily and often improperly.

Second, go to the "Advanced" tab on the adapter's properties (Configure -> Advanced from the previous screen) and ensure that Interrupt Moderation is turned on, all checksum offloads are enabled (this shouldn't affect it though), Jumbo Frame is disabled, and Flow Control is enabled. Some of these options may be missing and you may have to install manufacturer drivers rather than the generic Windows ones to get them.

Good luck

hey thanks for the advice, Ive tried all of those settings and still no improvement after a restart.

Incredibly frustrating this, i know the performance is there i just cant 'unlock' it.

In my desperation im going to submit a HiJackThis log... hopefully someone with a keen eye might be able to spot something




Logfile of Trend Micro HijackThis v2.0.4
Scan saved at 20:41:37, on 10/07/2012
Platform: Windows 7 SP1 (WinNT 6.00.3505)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v9.00 (9.00.8112.16446)
Boot mode: Normal

Running processes:
C:\Windows\SysWOW64\HsMgr.exe
C:\Program Files (x86)\RocketDock\RocketDock.exe
C:\Program Files (x86)\tinySpell\tinyspell.exe
C:\Program Files\ASUS Xonar DG Audio\Customapp\ASUSAUDIOCENTER.EXE
C:\Program Files (x86)\Samsung SSD Magician\Samsung SSD Magician.exe
C:\Program Files (x86)\Intel\Intel(R) Rapid Storage Technology\IAStorIcon.exe
C:\Program Files (x86)\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe
C:\Program Files (x86)\Mozilla Firefox\plugin-container.exe
C:\Windows\SysWOW64\Macromed\Flash\FlashPlayerPlugin_11_3_300_262.exe
C:\Windows\SysWOW64\Macromed\Flash\FlashPlayerPlugin_11_3_300_262.exe
C:\Program Files (x86)\HiJackThis\Trend Micro\HiJackThis\HiJackThis.exe

R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Page = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=54896
R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=69157
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Page_URL = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=69157
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Search_URL = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=54896
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Page = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=54896
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=69157
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Search,SearchAssistant =
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Search,CustomizeSearch =
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Local Page = C:\Windows\SysWOW64\blank.htm
R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Toolbar,LinksFolderName =
F2 - REG:system.ini: UserInit=userinit.exe,
O2 - BHO: IDM Helper - {0055C089-8582-441B-A0BF-17B458C2A3A8} - C:\Program Files (x86)\Internet Download Manager\IDMIECC.dll
O2 - BHO: Windows Live ID Sign-in Helper - {9030D464-4C02-4ABF-8ECC-5164760863C6} - C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Windows Live\WindowsLiveLogin.dll
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [StartCCC] "C:\Program Files (x86)\ATI Technologies\ATI.ACE\Core-Static\CLIStart.exe" MSRun
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AMD AVT] Cmd.exe /c start "AMD Accelerated Video Transcoding device initialization" /min "C:\Program Files (x86)\AMD AVT\bin\kdbsync.exe" aml
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [IAStorIcon] C:\Program Files (x86)\Intel\Intel(R) Rapid Storage Technology\IAStorIcon.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware] "C:\Program Files (x86)\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbamgui.exe" /starttray
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [Google Update] "C:\Users\Kash\AppData\Local\Google\Update\GoogleUpdate.exe" /c
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [RocketDock] "C:\Program Files (x86)\RocketDock\RocketDock.exe"
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [tinySpell] C:\Program Files (x86)\tinySpell\tinyspell.exe
O4 - HKUS\S-1-5-19\..\Run: [Sidebar] %ProgramFiles%\Windows Sidebar\Sidebar.exe /autoRun (User 'LOCAL SERVICE')
O4 - HKUS\S-1-5-19\..\RunOnce: [mctadmin] C:\Windows\System32\mctadmin.exe (User 'LOCAL SERVICE')
O4 - HKUS\S-1-5-20\..\Run: [Sidebar] %ProgramFiles%\Windows Sidebar\Sidebar.exe /autoRun (User 'NETWORK SERVICE')
O4 - HKUS\S-1-5-20\..\RunOnce: [mctadmin] C:\Windows\System32\mctadmin.exe (User 'NETWORK SERVICE')
O4 - Startup: Samsung SSD Magician.lnk = C:\Program Files (x86)\Samsung SSD Magician\Samsung SSD Magician.exe
O8 - Extra context menu item: Download all links with IDM - C:\Program Files (x86)\Internet Download Manager\IEGetAll.htm
O8 - Extra context menu item: Download with IDM - C:\Program Files (x86)\Internet Download Manager\IEExt.htm
O9 - Extra button: PalTalk - {4EAFEF58-EEFA-4116-983D-03B49BCBFFFE} - C:\Program Files (x86)\Paltalk Messenger\Paltalk.exe
O10 - Unknown file in Winsock LSP: c:\program files (x86)\common files\microsoft shared\windows live\wlidnsp.dll
O10 - Unknown file in Winsock LSP: c:\program files (x86)\common files\microsoft shared\windows live\wlidnsp.dll
O11 - Options group: [ACCELERATED_GRAPHICS] Accelerated graphics
O17 - HKLM\System\CCS\Services\Tcpip\..\{8245655D-6EAB-4A66-B202-6058CAE77C3F}: NameServer = 62.24.243.1,62.24.202.6
O17 - HKLM\System\CS1\Services\Tcpip\..\{8245655D-6EAB-4A66-B202-6058CAE77C3F}: NameServer = 62.24.243.1,62.24.202.6
O17 - HKLM\System\CS2\Services\Tcpip\..\{8245655D-6EAB-4A66-B202-6058CAE77C3F}: NameServer = 62.24.243.1,62.24.202.6
O23 - Service: @%SystemRoot%\system32\Alg.exe,-112 (ALG) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\System32\alg.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: AMD External Events Utility - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\system32\atiesrxx.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: cFosSpeed System Service (cFosSpeedS) - cFos Software GmbH - C:\Program Files\ASRock\XFast LAN\spd.exe
O23 - Service: Intel(R) Content Protection HECI Service (cphs) - Intel Corporation - C:\Windows\SysWow64\IntelCpHeciSvc.exe
O23 - Service: @%SystemRoot%\system32\efssvc.dll,-100 (EFS) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\System32\lsass.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: ESET Service (ekrn) - ESET - C:\Program Files\ESET\ESET Smart Security\x86\ekrn.exe
O23 - Service: @%systemroot%\system32\fxsresm.dll,-118 (Fax) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\system32\fxssvc.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: Intel(R) Rapid Storage Technology (IAStorDataMgrSvc) - Intel Corporation - C:\Program Files (x86)\Intel\Intel(R) Rapid Storage Technology\IAStorDataMgrSvc.exe
O23 - Service: @keyiso.dll,-100 (KeyIso) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\system32\lsass.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: Logitech Bluetooth Service (LBTServ) - Logitech, Inc. - C:\Program Files\Common Files\LogiShrd\Bluetooth\lbtserv.exe
O23 - Service: Intel(R) Management and Security Application Local Management Service (LMS) - Intel Corporation - C:\Program Files (x86)\Intel\Intel(R) Management Engine Components\LMS\LMS.exe
O23 - Service: MBAMService - Malwarebytes Corporation - C:\Program Files (x86)\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbamservice.exe
O23 - Service: Mozilla Maintenance Service (MozillaMaintenance) - Mozilla Foundation - C:\Program Files (x86)\Mozilla Maintenance Service\maintenanceservice.exe
O23 - Service: @comres.dll,-2797 (MSDTC) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\System32\msdtc.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: @%SystemRoot%\System32\netlogon.dll,-102 (Netlogon) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\system32\lsass.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: PnkBstrA - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\system32\PnkBstrA.exe
O23 - Service: @%systemroot%\system32\psbase.dll,-300 (ProtectedStorage) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\system32\lsass.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: @%systemroot%\system32\Locator.exe,-2 (RpcLocator) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\system32\locator.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: @%SystemRoot%\system32\samsrv.dll,-1 (SamSs) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\system32\lsass.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: @%SystemRoot%\system32\snmptrap.exe,-3 (SNMPTRAP) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\System32\snmptrap.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: @%systemroot%\system32\spoolsv.exe,-1 (Spooler) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\System32\spoolsv.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: @%SystemRoot%\system32\sppsvc.exe,-101 (sppsvc) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\system32\sppsvc.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: TunngleService - Tunngle.net GmbH - C:\Program Files (x86)\Tunngle\TnglCtrl.exe
O23 - Service: @%SystemRoot%\system32\ui0detect.exe,-101 (UI0Detect) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\system32\UI0Detect.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: Intel(R) Management and Security Application User Notification Service (UNS) - Intel Corporation - C:\Program Files (x86)\Intel\Intel(R) Management Engine Components\UNS\UNS.exe
O23 - Service: @%SystemRoot%\system32\vaultsvc.dll,-1003 (VaultSvc) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\system32\lsass.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: @%SystemRoot%\system32\vds.exe,-100 (vds) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\System32\vds.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: @%systemroot%\system32\vssvc.exe,-102 (VSS) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\system32\vssvc.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: @%SystemRoot%\system32\Wat\WatUX.exe,-601 (WatAdminSvc) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\system32\Wat\WatAdminSvc.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: @%systemroot%\system32\wbengine.exe,-104 (wbengine) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\system32\wbengine.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: @%Systemroot%\system32\wbem\wmiapsrv.exe,-110 (wmiApSrv) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\system32\wbem\WmiApSrv.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: @%PROGRAMFILES%\Windows Media Player\wmpnetwk.exe,-101 (WMPNetworkSvc) - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Media Player\wmpnetwk.exe (file missing)

--
End of file - 8784 bytes
a b $ Windows 7
July 10, 2012 7:42:36 PM

Try running a speedtest from a linux LiveCD
July 10, 2012 7:55:52 PM

Pinhedd said:
Try running a speedtest from a linux LiveCD


OK mate ill try this later, i dont have any experience with Linux however, so this could take a while lol
July 10, 2012 8:04:17 PM

I had a similar issue on my asus p5n-d with the nvidia chipset. I could not figure it out for months. I even used a pci network card for a bit.(which worked great). The system worked correctly in safe mode as well. Then one day I had the crazy idea to dissable extra items in the bios and device manager to try eleminate the issue think maybe it was an old shool IRQ conflict.

I have 2 gtx470s, each one has 4 audio devices, so I had 9 audio devices total. I disabled all the GTX 470 audio devices, this also killed audio over HDMI.

Test and the system works fine, but I wanted audio of HDMI, so reneabled all 8 audio devices. Problem came back.

In the bios I dissabled the floppy controler, the com ports, the parrelle port, the fire wire, the ide ports, and every thing else that i dont use.

I tested it and it worked fine... My next step would be to re-enable each device 1 by 1, but i never bothered because I dont use them.

My guess is that i had 2 or 3 device sharing 1 IRQ with the NIC causing the issue, and by dissabling the extra devices the problem was solved.
July 10, 2012 8:57:44 PM

bucknutty said:
I had a similar issue on my asus p5n-d with the nvidia chipset. I could not figure it out for months. I even used a pci network card for a bit.(which worked great). The system worked correctly in safe mode as well. Then one day I had the crazy idea to dissable extra items in the bios and device manager to try eleminate the issue think maybe it was an old shool IRQ conflict.

I have 2 gtx470s, each one has 4 audio devices, so I had 9 audio devices total. I disabled all the GTX 470 audio devices, this also killed audio over HDMI.

Test and the system works fine, but I wanted audio of HDMI, so reneabled all 8 audio devices. Problem came back.

In the bios I dissabled the floppy controler, the com ports, the parrelle port, the fire wire, the ide ports, and every thing else that i dont use.

I tested it and it worked fine... My next step would be to re-enable each device 1 by 1, but i never bothered because I dont use them.

My guess is that i had 2 or 3 device sharing 1 IRQ with the NIC causing the issue, and by dissabling the extra devices the problem was solved.



Thanks for the reply, you helped me solve an IRQ issue at least :D 
and... I FIGURED OUT THE PROBLEM!!!!

well thanks to the combination of yourself and Pinheadd i managed to weed out the problem. SO REPS for both of you


OK. The problem was, this motherboard (ASRock z68 Extreem4 Gen3) comes with a program to help monitor and speed up internet bandwidth called "cFosSpeed for faster internet connections" (the irony) well before when i was testing to see if this program was causing the problems i would just be closing the program and any process instances in task manager, thinking that was it closed. Well low and behold, in the adapter settings where Pinhedd pointed me to with the QoS Packet settings, I it seems cFosSpeed had attached a setting there too to enable/disable the function. After unchecking the box, my upload speed has returned to normal, although i will miss the visual graph representation widget that program offered.

SO THANKS for the replies and help. much appreciated :D  problem solved.
a b $ Windows 7
July 10, 2012 9:27:44 PM

scotred said:
Thanks for the reply, you helped me solve an IRQ issue at least :D 
and... I FIGURED OUT THE PROBLEM!!!!

well thanks to the combination of yourself and Pinheadd i managed to weed out the problem. SO REPS for both of you


OK. The problem was, this motherboard (ASRock z68 Extreem4 Gen3) comes with a program to help monitor and speed up internet bandwidth called "cFosSpeed for faster internet connections" (the irony) well before when i was testing to see if this program was causing the problems i would just be closing the program and any process instances in task manager, thinking that was it closed. Well low and behold, in the adapter settings where Pinhedd pointed me to with the QoS Packet settings, I it seems cFosSpeed had attached a setting there too to enable/disable the function. After unchecking the box, my upload speed has returned to normal, although i will miss the visual graph representation widget that program offered.

SO THANKS for the replies and help. much appreciated :D  problem solved.


Glad to hear it!

Never trust bloatware
March 14, 2013 11:47:16 AM

scotred said:
bucknutty said:
I had a similar issue on my asus p5n-d with the nvidia chipset. I could not figure it out for months. I even used a pci network card for a bit.(which worked great). The system worked correctly in safe mode as well. Then one day I had the crazy idea to dissable extra items in the bios and device manager to try eleminate the issue think maybe it was an old shool IRQ conflict.

I have 2 gtx470s, each one has 4 audio devices, so I had 9 audio devices total. I disabled all the GTX 470 audio devices, this also killed audio over HDMI.

Test and the system works fine, but I wanted audio of HDMI, so reneabled all 8 audio devices. Problem came back.

In the bios I dissabled the floppy controler, the com ports, the parrelle port, the fire wire, the ide ports, and every thing else that i dont use.

I tested it and it worked fine... My next step would be to re-enable each device 1 by 1, but i never bothered because I dont use them.

My guess is that i had 2 or 3 device sharing 1 IRQ with the NIC causing the issue, and by dissabling the extra devices the problem was solved.



Thanks for the reply, you helped me solve an IRQ issue at least :D 
and... I FIGURED OUT THE PROBLEM!!!!

well thanks to the combination of yourself and Pinheadd i managed to weed out the problem. SO REPS for both of you


OK. The problem was, this motherboard (ASRock z68 Extreem4 Gen3) comes with a program to help monitor and speed up internet bandwidth called "cFosSpeed for faster internet connections" (the irony) well before when i was testing to see if this program was causing the problems i would just be closing the program and any process instances in task manager, thinking that was it closed. Well low and behold, in the adapter settings where Pinhedd pointed me to with the QoS Packet settings, I it seems cFosSpeed had attached a setting there too to enable/disable the function. After unchecking the box, my upload speed has returned to normal, although i will miss the visual graph representation widget that program offered.

SO THANKS for the replies and help. much appreciated :D  problem solved.



scotred...can you please guide me in a step wise manner on how to resolve this issue...I am also getting the same speed of .20Mbps whenever I run the speed test...Its been almost 1 year now...and I left all hope to resolve this issue...Appreciate if you could guide me in the right direction.
!