Screensavers for Palm

July 12, 2004 5:29:29 PM

Anybody know where I can obtain screensavers for Palm OS5?

Thanks!

--

Cheers,
better known as McGrady's cousin

===========================
Vince Carter - Half Man, Half A Season.

More about : screensavers palm

Anonymous
July 12, 2004 9:49:46 PM

better known as McGrady's cousin wrote:

> Anybody know where I can obtain screensavers for Palm OS5?

For what purpose?

It seems that if you weren't actively using your Palm,
you'd want it to turn off, rather t5han wasting batteries
on a screen saver.

Notan
Anonymous
July 12, 2004 9:49:47 PM

I knew somebody would say this.

For instance, I use my Palm for Word Processing. My Palm is plugged in to
the power outlet via my keyboard so I don't care about the battery life. So
I start looking something up in a book and after five minutes, I
forget/leave my Palm on.

While I could just switch off my Palm and screensavers are not really
necessary, it would be cool and nice to have screensavers. Something
different to look at than the boring HotSync screen or the boring Word
screen. Now don't get into the fact of asking why I would want something
cool for my Palm. There are a lot of apps that serve only that purpose ;-)

--

> better known as McGrady's cousin wrote:
> >
> > Anybody know where I can obtain screensavers for Palm OS5?
>
> For what purpose?
>
> It seems that if you weren't actively using your Palm,
> you'd want it to turn off, rather t5han wasting batteries
> on a screen saver.
>
> Notan
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
Anonymous
July 12, 2004 9:58:43 PM

Notan <notan@ddress.com> wrote:

> It seems that if you weren't actively using your Palm,
> you'd want it to turn off, rather t5han wasting batteries
> on a screen saver.

Just as something to look at to while away the time. I would love to have
"Mike's so called life" from the flying toaster screensaver days, it was
fascinating to watch!

Didier

--
Didier A Depireux ddepi001@umaryland.edu didier@isr.umd.edu
20 Penn Str - S218E http://neurobiology.umaryland.edu/depireux.htm

On Mon, 12 Jul 2004 13:29:29 -0400, better known as McGrady's cousin had
this to say...

> Anybody know where I can obtain screensavers for Palm OS5?
>
> Thanks!

I use SplashPhoto for this, in it's prefs I set the run while in cradle
mode and get a slide show of pictures @ 320x480.
<http://www.splashdata.com/splashphoto/&gt;

A new one I have not checked out yet is Riverland
<http://www.handyent.com/riverland/&gt;
fantasy castle on a river, sunbathers frolic, ducks swim by, lots of
surprise animations.

Palmgear lists 10 screensavers <http://tinyurl.com/5366c&gt;

--
Hope this helps.
Jim Anderson

# Jim Anderson
> I use SplashPhoto for this, in it's prefs I set the run while in cradle
> mode and get a slide show of pictures @ 320x480.
> <http://www.splashdata.com/splashphoto/&gt;

I don't think Splashphoto does progressive JPGs.

--
Toby
Anonymous

On Tue, 13 Jul 2004 08:07:06 +0100, Toby Newman had this to say...

> # Jim Anderson
> > I use SplashPhoto for this, in it's prefs I set the run while in cradle
> > mode and get a slide show of pictures @ 320x480.
> > <http://www.splashdata.com/splashphoto/&gt;
>
> I don't think Splashphoto does progressive JPGs.

What do you mean progressive JPG's?

--
Hope this helps.
Jim Anderson
( 8(|) To email me just pull my_finger
Anonymous
July 13, 2004 7:47:00 PM

# Jim Anderson
> On Tue, 13 Jul 2004 08:07:06 +0100, Toby Newman had this to say...

> > I don't think Splashphoto does progressive JPGs.

> What do you mean progressive JPG's?

I tried splashphoto and it wouldn't display half my JPGs, it came up
with an error message for any that were progressively encoded rather
than interlaced. Or vice versa, I forget which way round it was now.

More info on JPGs:

http://www.webdevelopersnotes.com/graphics/jpgs.php3

--
Toby
Anonymous

how about Aquarium?
but you need to start it manually
Anonymous
July 13, 2004 9:24:30 PM

In article <XRzIc.2271$TB3.263953@news20.bellglobal.com>, "better known as McGrady's cousin" <Armani@Giorgio.it> wrote:
>Anybody know where I can obtain screensavers for Palm OS5?

I think I´ve seen something like that called Matrix, don´t know if it starts automatic, but its worth a try.

HTH Thomas

--

PUG Wien www.pugwien.at
Reisebilder www.steinbichler.biz/reisen

I actually got both SplashClock and SplashPhoto. SplashClock can show me the
time and date while it cycles through the pictures installed on my handheld,
which is superb.

Thanks Jim! :-)

--

"Jim Anderson" <fro2750@frontiernet.my_finger.net> wrote in message
> On Mon, 12 Jul 2004 13:29:29 -0400, better known as McGrady's cousin had
> this to say...
>

> > Anybody know where I can obtain screensavers for Palm OS5?
> >
> > Thanks!
> >

> I use SplashPhoto for this, in it's prefs I set the run while in cradle
> mode and get a slide show of pictures @ 320x480.
> <http://www.splashdata.com/splashphoto/&gt;
>
> A new one I have not checked out yet is Riverland
> <http://www.handyent.com/riverland/&gt;
> fantasy castle on a river, sunbathers frolic, ducks swim by, lots of
> surprise animations.
>
> Palmgear lists 10 screensavers <http://tinyurl.com/5366c&gt;
>
> --
> Hope this helps.
> Jim Anderson
> ( 8(|) To email me just pull my_finger
Anonymous
July 14, 2004 12:29:34 AM

I don't know if it's the same, but I downloaded MobiFish. It's the same
thing over and over and I would definitely need to replace it in the long
run.

Thanks for the suggestion Kevin.

--

"Kevin Nephew" <q@q.q> wrote in message
> how about Aquarium?
> but you need to start it manually

Anonymous
July 14, 2004 12:32:18 AM

Yeah it's on palmgear.com. I might give it a try but I'm really enjoying
SplashClock.

Thanks Thomas.
--

"Thomas Steinbichler" <tstf@inode.at> wrote in message
In article <XRzIc.2271$TB3.263953@news20.bellglobal.com>, "better known as
McGrady's cousin" <Armani@Giorgio.it> wrote:
>Anybody know where I can obtain screensavers for Palm OS5?

I think I´ve seen something like that called Matrix, don´t know if it starts
automatic, but its worth a try.

HTH Thomas

--

PUG Wien www.pugwien.at
Reisebilder www.steinbichler.biz/reisen
sent by yanoff+
Anonymous
July 14, 2004 5:27:24 AM

better known as McGrady's cousin wrote:

> I don't know if it's the same, but I downloaded MobiFish. It's the same
> thing over and over and I would definitely need to replace it in the long
> run.

"Long run?"

You mean that, at least for the time being, you don't mind staring
at the same thing, over and over?

I just don't get it.

Notan
Anonymous
July 14, 2004 5:27:25 AM

Exactly. I don't mind it like my PC desktop wallpaper and my PC screensaver.
After a month or so, I change them.

Same case for my Palm. Why would it be any different? I can deal with the
same Palm screensaver for probably a month, but not longer.

--

> better known as McGrady's cousin wrote:
> >
> > I don't know if it's the same, but I downloaded MobiFish. It's the same
> > thing over and over and I would definitely need to replace it in the
long
> > run.
>
> "Long run?"
>
> You mean that, at least for the time being, you don't mind staring
> at the same thing, over and over?
>
> I just don't get it.
>
> Notan
Anonymous
July 14, 2004 5:27:26 AM

On Tue, 13 Jul 2004 22:11:54 -0400, "better known as McGrady's cousin"
<Armani@Giorgio.it> was understood to have stated the following:

>Exactly. I don't mind it like my PC desktop wallpaper and my PC screensaver.
>After a month or so, I change them.

Desktop wallpapers are handled nicely with WallMaster. :-D
Anonymous
July 14, 2004 7:16:12 AM

better known as McGrady's cousin wrote:

> Exactly. I don't mind it like my PC desktop wallpaper and my PC screensaver.
> After a month or so, I change them.
>
> Same case for my Palm. Why would it be any different? I can deal with the
> same Palm screensaver for probably a month, but not longer.

The concept I don't quite get is that of a Palm screensaver.

While the need for any LCD screensaver is questionable, I can understand
using one on a desktop, purely for aesthetics. When you turn away from
your desktop to do other chores, a screensaver can provide an appealing
backdrop to other things. It can also trigger the need for a password,
when work/play resumes.

On the other hand, the size of a typical Palm screen is approximately
2 to 2.5 square inches. When not in use, one typically places the unit
aside. It's not like a monitor that's "in your face" at all times. In
addition, if it being used on battery power, a screensaver wastes that
battery.

Like I said, I just don't get it.

Notan
Anonymous
July 14, 2004 7:16:13 AM

> On the other hand, the size of a typical Palm screen is approximately
> 2 to 2.5 square inches. When not in use, one typically places the unit
> aside. It's not like a monitor that's "in your face" at all times. In
> addition, if it being used on battery power, a screensaver wastes that
> battery.

Well I also word process and chat on MSN Messenger on my Palm. My keyboard
has a power connector so I am not wasting battery power. If there is no
activity for a while, the Palm screensaver will pop up.

Another case the screensaver might be nice is when in the cradle doing a
HotSync. I HotSync at least 3 or 4 times a day and leave the Palm in it's
cradle. Not using battery power again because it's connected to power and
also it is in your face so you can see it.

You probably don't word process or HotSync as often as I do, so you may have
no need for it. However, I certainly do.

--

On Wed, 14 Jul 2004 03:16:12 GMT, Notan <notan@ddress.com> was
understood to have stated the following:

>On the other hand, the size of a typical Palm screen is approximately
>2 to 2.5 square inches. When not in use, one typically places the unit
>aside. It's not like a monitor that's "in your face" at all times. In
>addition, if it being used on battery power, a screensaver wastes that
>battery.

If you have an office job, you can purchase an extra charging cradle
and leave your PDA in that (which I do; keeps the battery topped off,
and encourages hotsyncing). While I don't do this, I can easily
imagine selecting the "family" group of the photo album on my T|3, and
starting a slide show; this makes the device serve as a portable
picture frame with dynamic content. :-D
Anonymous
July 14, 2004 8:55:04 AM

better known as McGrady's cousin wrote:

> > On the other hand, the size of a typical Palm screen is approximately
> > 2 to 2.5 square inches. When not in use, one typically places the unit
> > aside. It's not like a monitor that's "in your face" at all times. In
> > addition, if it being used on battery power, a screensaver wastes that
> > battery.
>
> Well I also word process and chat on MSN Messenger on my Palm. My keyboard
> has a power connector so I am not wasting battery power. If there is no
> activity for a while, the Palm screensaver will pop up.
>
> Another case the screensaver might be nice is when in the cradle doing a
> HotSync. I HotSync at least 3 or 4 times a day and leave the Palm in it's
> cradle. Not using battery power again because it's connected to power and
> also it is in your face so you can see it.
>
> You probably don't word process or HotSync as often as I do, so you may have
> no need for it. However, I certainly do.

A serious question... Wouldn't you find it *much* easier to chat and do word
processing on a full-size system?

Notan
Anonymous
July 14, 2004 5:36:55 PM

No doubt about that, but there's no way I can take my system with me to
university.

--

> better known as McGrady's cousin wrote:
> >
> > > On the other hand, the size of a typical Palm screen is approximately
> > > 2 to 2.5 square inches. When not in use, one typically places the unit
> > > aside. It's not like a monitor that's "in your face" at all times. In
> > > addition, if it being used on battery power, a screensaver wastes that
> > > battery.
> >
> > Well I also word process and chat on MSN Messenger on my Palm. My
keyboard
> > has a power connector so I am not wasting battery power. If there is no
> > activity for a while, the Palm screensaver will pop up.
> >
> > Another case the screensaver might be nice is when in the cradle doing a
> > HotSync. I HotSync at least 3 or 4 times a day and leave the Palm in
it's
> > cradle. Not using battery power again because it's connected to power
and
> > also it is in your face so you can see it.
> >
> > You probably don't word process or HotSync as often as I do, so you may
have
> > no need for it. However, I certainly do.
>
> A serious question... Wouldn't you find it *much* easier to chat and do
word
> processing on a full-size system?
>
> Notan
Anonymous
July 14, 2004 6:41:30 PM

Thomas Steinbichler <tstf@inode.at> wrote:

> I think I've seen something like that called Matrix, don't know if it starts automatic, but its worth a try.

Matrix crashed my T3 so bad, I had to do a hard reset. It's one of these
programs, when you do a soft reset it just cycles and cycles until your
battery runs out.

Didier

--
Didier A Depireux ddepi001@umaryland.edu didier@isr.umd.edu
20 Penn Str - S218E http://neurobiology.umaryland.edu/depireux.htm
Anatomy and Neurobiology Phone: 410-706-1272 (lab)
University of Maryland -1273 (off)
Baltimore MD 21201 USA Fax: 1-410-706-2512
Anonymous
July 15, 2004 2:14:02 AM

Didier A. Depireux wrote:

> Thomas Steinbichler <tstf@inode.at> wrote:
>

>>I think I've seen something like that called Matrix, don't know if it starts automatic, but its worth a try.
>

> Matrix crashed my T3 so bad, I had to do a hard reset. It's one of these
> programs, when you do a soft reset it just cycles and cycles until your
> battery runs out.

In that case, you could have done a warm reset (reset button plus
scroll up hardware button), which is like a soft reset but doesn't
give applications a chance to do stuff right when the device is
starting up. You then remove the offending application and then
do a regular soft reset.

- Logan
Anonymous
July 15, 2004 7:54:58 AM

Logan Shaw <lshaw-usenet@austin.rr.com> wrote:
> Didier A. Depireux wrote:

> In that case, you could have done a warm reset (reset button plus
> scroll up hardware button), which is like a soft reset but doesn't
> give applications a chance to do stuff right when the device is
> starting up. You then remove the offending application and then

Thanks. I thought I had tried that, but you seem to say it should have
worked. I will make sure I have done a warm reset next time!

Didier

--
Didier A Depireux ddepi001@umaryland.edu didier@isr.umd.edu
20 Penn Str - S218E http://neurobiology.umaryland.edu/depireux.htm
Anatomy and Neurobiology Phone: 410-706-1272 (lab)
University of Maryland -1273 (off)
Baltimore MD 21201 USA Fax: 1-410-706-2512
Anonymous
July 15, 2004 7:49:05 PM

In news:KeiJc.54515$W6.3669@fe2.texas.rr.com,
Logan Shaw <lshaw-usenet@austin.rr.com> informed us:
| Didier A. Depireux wrote:
|
|| Thomas Steinbichler <tstf@inode.at> wrote:
||| I think I've seen something like that called Matrix, don't know if
||| it starts automatic, but its worth a try.
|| Matrix crashed my T3 so bad, I had to do a hard reset. It's one of
|| these programs, when you do a soft reset it just cycles and cycles
|| until your battery runs out.
|
| In that case, you could have done a warm reset (reset button plus
| scroll up hardware button), which is like a soft reset but doesn't
| give applications a chance to do stuff right when the device is
| starting up. You then remove the offending application and then
| do a regular soft reset.

Coincedentally, I've been having a crash problem on my T3 in which I
can't get to the warm reset, nor in fact, will the hard reset work. This
weekend I had to let it discahrge, and just this morning I kept hitting
the back reset button in rapid-fire until it just caught. Darndest
thing, so I'm trying to figure out what might have caused it. I don't
remember installing any programs this week, but I wonder if I've got
some corrupted file.
!