Sign in with
Your question

How much RAM do I need?

Last response: in Memory
June 27, 2003 4:15:10 AM

I'm intersted in building a system based on the new dual channel mobo's with a 800 mhz fsb. How much DDR do I need?

I plan to use my computer mainly for gaming and some MATLAB work.

<font color=blue> There's no such thing as hell, but you can make it if you try.</font color=blue>

More about : ram

a b } Memory
June 27, 2003 6:08:07 AM

I recommend 1GB (1024MB), but you could get by with 512MB if needed (a bit slower).

<font color=blue>Watts mean squat if you don't have quality!</font color=blue>
June 27, 2003 5:38:53 PM

heya Magus;

Both of the tasks you mentioned require lots of memory, alot of the new games out are recommending 768MB of ram for optimal play, with that in mind i would recommend 1GB of pc3200 or pc3500 DDR, you will need 2x512 modules.

If you have any further questions, i will be around.

XeeN
Related resources
June 27, 2003 11:38:38 PM

Why not 4x256?

That's cheaper than 2x256. Also, anyone know anything about Geil RAM? It's VERY cheap and it's gotten good reviews at newegg.

<font color=blue> There's no such thing as hell, but you can make it if you try.</font color=blue>
June 28, 2003 5:52:10 AM

First of all many AMD dual channel boards have only 3 dimm slots (not sure about intel boards...don't follow the newer ones much) so thats a problem right there; furthermore it is always good to have some extra dimm slots so that in another year (or whenever you next upgrade) you can get a probably buy then cheepo ddr 3200 or 3500 for dirt cheep and then you would have 1.5gb where as if you had the 4x 256's you would have to remove one of the modules that you paid good money for and not use it.
!