Changing the default settings

Mac

Okay, for you experienced FS 2004 users I have a
question. Do most of you find the default settings for
the sensitivities on the joystick to be adequate or if
not, what settings have you found to work best,
particularly for the ailerons and elevator settings.
Also, what about the defaults for the null zone on these
settings? Would I get better control by using the mouse
to click the trim and throttle buttons in the cockpit?
For those of you that are experts, what have you found to
work best?

I like using the buttons on the joystick, because I can
then focus on monitoring the instruments, instead of
having to establish eye contact to locate the mouse
properly. Also, what about using keyboard commands
instead? I am using MS Sidewinder, basic joystick.
Mac

Sam

Mac -
I'm far from an expert, but I am comfortable with the
program and, in my case, the Microsoft joystick. I've
tried several such 'sticks' and keep coming back to just
plain vanilla.
The default sensitivity settings are probably OK for new
users, but IMO the 'deadband' or 'null-zone' is too wide.
I prefer it to be almost, but not quite, zero. As far as
"sensitivity" is concerned, I think that each user will
have to experiment with what feels best. If you've had
real-time flight experience, these settings may be very
much different from the simulator-only user.
s ------------------------------------------------------

Mac

Sam,
I am still curious though, did you change the defaults on
the sensitivity settings and if so, did you move the
slider to the left or right? I am not satisfied with the
response I am getting from the joystick and am just
curious as to what others have found to work for them,
even though it may not work for me.
Mac

Mac -

I was a pilot IRL and found the default settings much too sluggish. For me,
I turn ALL realism settings on high, set the null zones on all axis to as
little as possible and set the sensitivities all the way to the right for
all axis.

On some a/c this will give you a very twitchy control stick but much more
realistic IMHO.

Vic

"Mac" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Okay, for you experienced FS 2004 users I have a
> question. Do most of you find the default settings for
> the sensitivities on the joystick to be adequate or if
> not, what settings have you found to work best,
> particularly for the ailerons and elevator settings.
> Also, what about the defaults for the null zone on these
> settings? Would I get better control by using the mouse
> to click the trim and throttle buttons in the cockpit?
> For those of you that are experts, what have you found to
> work best?
>
> I like using the buttons on the joystick, because I can
> then focus on monitoring the instruments, instead of
> having to establish eye contact to locate the mouse
> properly. Also, what about using keyboard commands
> instead? I am using MS Sidewinder, basic joystick.
> Mac

Sam

Mac -
What joystick are you using? And, I assume, you have
successfully gone through the calibration procedure.
Yes, I did change the defaults.
As Vic has done, all Null Zone sliders were moved (left)
to nearly zero. Vic has all sensitivities set High (right)
while I tend to keep rudder and elevator Low (left). This
may be because he uses a force-feedback stick, and I don't.
For now, I suggest you keep Realism settings rather low,
and Auto-Coordination turned On. As you gather experience
with the program you'll probably want to move your settings
closer to what Vic is now using.
s --------------------------------------------------------

Mac

Sam,
I am using MS Sidewinder 1.0 Joystick. Yes, I did go
through the calibration procedure and it checks out okay.
I have changed the null zone sliders as suggested and
notice improved performance already. I will experiment
with the sensitivites as you have suggested and see what
that does. Thanks for responding.
Mac
-

TRENDING THREADS