Best Harddrive

kjgeraci

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2002
What is the best IDE harddrive to buy? Fastest, most dependable, etc. I really want speed, but the fastest is not always the best.

I am running 2k on one machine and XP pro on another. I am tossing both old HD's and want to buy new ones to run the same settings. Both Machines are 1.5 athlon systems with 512 2700 ddr CAS 2.0.

Thanks!

FallOutBoyTonto

Distinguished
May 6, 2003
IMHO the JB series from Western Digital are best.

<A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?id=24106" target="_new">My System Rig</A>
<A HREF="http://service.futuremark.com/compare?2k3=535386" target="_new">3DMark03</A>

scottkli

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2003
I have used both Maxtor's, WesternDigital's. I have had issues with my non JB HD's, and it took WesternDigital 2 rma drives to get it right. Finally sent me a retail drive.
And for benchmarks who knows these days. I think every system is different and unless you can find a benchmark with your exact system, go for what you feel in your gut.

soulprovider

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2003
I would rate a 7200rpm drive with 8mb cache to be among the fastest. Models with FDB (Fluid Dynamic Bearing) are pretty quiet too.

Some of the Maxtor plus 9 series fit that bill but they only have 1 years warranty.

The Western Digital Caviar Special edition drives have a 3 year warranty but I'm not sure if they have FDB's.

I'm currently using the new WD Raptors which although a little more noisy, are very quick and have a 5 year warranty. the downside though is their relatively small size of 36GB plus you'll need a mobo or adapter with SATA ports.

<b>Vorsprung durch Dontwerk</b>.....<i>as they say at VIA</i>

unoc

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2002
I am runnning currently two Maxtor Plus9 SATA 120 GB (having two drives in RAID 0 with a Silicon Image RAID controller). They are very fast, quiet and come with three years warranty. WD Raptor is probably faster and more reliable (it is an enterprise class hdd) but it is too costly for its capacity.
IBM-Hitachi 180 GXP is also a very fast hdd, but it only has one year warranty and the small size one only 2 MB cache.
What about your preferences for SATA or PATA ?

______________________ <font color=red>A straight line never ends……………….until it comes up against a vicious circle</font color=red>

shadus

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2003
I've had a few problems with maxtor drives failing. I like the special edition western digitals for speed and reliability, unless you go up to the 10k raptors or scsi a 7200rpm/8mb cache drive is going to perform the best.

Shadus

marneus

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I have 2 IBMs in my system, they are working vey well for me (but only get the 120 or 180 series, models below that are nowhere near as good..)

Trust me I know what I'm doing... ooops, grab the cat...