Your question

Hard Drive Woes

Tags:
  • Hard Drives
  • Windows XP
  • Storage
Last response: in Storage
June 28, 2003 1:57:00 PM

I recently purchaced a new hard drive and installed windows xp (home). On my old hard drive, I have a corrupted version of windows xp (pro). Now, I can see my folders on the old hard drive, but I am unable to access anything in the Administrator folders of the old drive (ie. my old My Documents). How can I gain access?

More about : hard drive woes

June 29, 2003 12:16:43 AM

Go to My Computer and in the tools bar click Folder Options. In the view tab at the bottom of the list, make sure simple file sharing is unticked.

Now right click on the documents folder you want retrieved and hit the security tab. Click advanced and then the owner Tab.

Change ownership to yourself and tick the box at the bottom that says 'Replace Owner on ......'

Hit the apply button and ok any prompt you get. From there on you should be able to access the folder.

<b>Vorsprung durch Dontwerk</b>.....<i>as they say at VIA</i>
June 29, 2003 1:22:12 PM

Thanks for the reply, but:
I don't see anything for simple file sharing under Folder Options &;
On the security tab, I don't see advanced options and furthermore don't see anything about replacing owner. Is it possible that Winxp Home doesn't have those options?

Any other suggestions?
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
June 29, 2003 1:40:32 PM

Possibly, I've only used XP Pro so I guess that must be the case.

Have you tried using the same administrator password as your old one and the same computer name?

<b>Vorsprung durch Dontwerk</b>.....<i>as they say at VIA</i>
June 29, 2003 3:29:28 PM

Have you tried posting this in the Windows XP section?

My Daddy used to tell me:
<b>It's better to keep your mouth shut and let people think you're stupid,
then it is to open your mouth and prove it.</b>
I never was good at taking advice!
June 29, 2003 5:29:14 PM

To see <b>Security</b> tab in <b>Home version</b>, you need to boot into Safe mode.

:smile: Good or Bad have no meaning at all, depends on what your point of view is.
!