Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

SONAR clicks/pops during playback

Last response: in Home Audio
Share
Anonymous
June 5, 2005 3:37:55 AM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro (More info?)

Using Sonar 1.3.1 on an appropriate system for the software and
Win98SE.

NOT off to a very good start.
Problem playing back new recordings AND .wav files recorded in other
programs.
In each case I hear random clicks/pops throughout playback.

Could someone please tell me the most common reasons for this problem
so that I can go systematically through each one until I fix the
problem.

If I use my same computer system setup with say, ACID, I never have
this problem.

Thanks!

Noops
Anonymous
June 5, 2005 8:33:44 AM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro (More info?)

"Eric G" <EricG@ether.net> wrote in message
news:eps4a1tscncobln2latdkb5ghoavc5bomm@4ax.com...
> Using Sonar 1.3.1 on an appropriate system for the software and
> Win98SE.
>
> NOT off to a very good start.
> Problem playing back new recordings AND .wav files recorded in other
> programs.
> In each case I hear random clicks/pops throughout playback.
>
> Could someone please tell me the most common reasons for this problem
> so that I can go systematically through each one until I fix the
> problem.
>
> If I use my same computer system setup with say, ACID, I never have
> this problem.
>
> Thanks!
>
> Noops

Normally it's due to shared interrupts. Sonar has a latency slider that you
might need to adjust. Try setting it higher. Sometimes even a different
setting works if it's not higher. I have the theory that some systems just
don't like buffers that are of a certain size (and it's multiples).
Anonymous
June 5, 2005 2:06:51 PM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro (More info?)

Eric,

> Could someone please tell me the most common reasons <

One common reason is Windows wants to do something else while you're playing
the song. For example, indexing all your data files in the background. There
are several important tweaks needed to record and play audio reliably, and
they're different for Windows 98 versus newer versions like 2000 and XP. A
lot of this is outlined in my three-part series from Keyboard magazine. In
particular, the third installment explains exactly what you're asking. These
articles are 5th in the list here:

www.ethanwiner.com/articles.html

--Ethan
Related resources
Anonymous
June 6, 2005 2:39:30 AM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro (More info?)

On Sun, 05 Jun 2005 04:33:44 GMT, "Ricky Hunt" <rhunt22@hotmail.com>
wrote:
>
>Normally it's due to shared interrupts. Sonar has a latency slider that you
>might need to adjust. Try setting it higher. Sometimes even a different
>setting works if it's not higher. I have the theory that some systems just
>don't like buffers that are of a certain size (and it's multiples).
>

Thanks for the tip Ricky.
I found out what the problem was (see below).

Eric
Anonymous
June 6, 2005 2:42:46 AM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro (More info?)

On Sun, 5 Jun 2005 10:06:51 -0400, "Ethan Winer" <ethanw at ethanwiner
dot com> wrote:

>Eric,
>
>> Could someone please tell me the most common reasons <
>
>One common reason is Windows wants to do something else while you're playing
>the song. For example, indexing all your data files in the background. There
>are several important tweaks needed to record and play audio reliably, and
>they're different for Windows 98 versus newer versions like 2000 and XP. A
>lot of this is outlined in my three-part series from Keyboard magazine. In
>particular, the third installment explains exactly what you're asking. These
>articles are 5th in the list here:
>
>www.ethanwiner.com/articles.html
>
>--Ethan
>

Hi Ethan,

Thanks for jumping in!

I discovered what the problem was last night.
Wrong driver for my sound card.
SONAR uses MME, WMA (?) and ISIO (?)
SONAR defaulted to WMA when I installed the software and reported
everything was OK. Well it wasn't OK.
I changed to MME and now playback has no pops or clicks!
Quite relieved now.

If you don't have that on your list of fixes make sure you add it. :) 

Eric
Anonymous
June 6, 2005 7:15:19 AM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro (More info?)

"Eric G" <EricG@ether.net> wrote in message
news:5rd7a1hlsnpkfdc0cdgomfedtn5nv8o89v@4ax.com...
>
> I discovered what the problem was last night.
> Wrong driver for my sound card.
> SONAR uses MME, WMA (?) and ISIO (?)
> SONAR defaulted to WMA when I installed the software and reported
> everything was OK. Well it wasn't OK.
> I changed to MME and now playback has no pops or clicks!
> Quite relieved now.
>
> If you don't have that on your list of fixes make sure you add it. :) 
>
> Eric
>

Eric, you still may want to get the WDM drivers working in the future. They
offer much better specs than MME. Most notably you can play softsynths and
monitor effects in real-time (assuming the rest of the computer is up to the
task). You still may want to try using the WDM and raising the latency since
that could be causing the pops.
Anonymous
June 6, 2005 5:50:38 PM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro (More info?)

"Ricky Hunt" <rhunt22@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:bdPoe.26920$nG6.8248@attbi_s22...
> Eric, you still may want to get the WDM drivers working in the future.

Win98 doesn't support WDM drivers, just Win2k and later. If the OP had been
on an OS that was less ancient he wouldn't have run up against the problem
in the first place <g>.

dik
Anonymous
June 7, 2005 12:44:59 AM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro (More info?)

Recently, Eric G <EricG@ether.net> posted:

> Using Sonar 1.3.1 on an appropriate system for the software and
> Win98SE.
>
> NOT off to a very good start.
> Problem playing back new recordings AND .wav files recorded in other
> programs.
> In each case I hear random clicks/pops throughout playback.
>
> Could someone please tell me the most common reasons for this problem
> so that I can go systematically through each one until I fix the
> problem.
>
Check your video acceleration (Control Panel > System > Performance >
Graphics).

If it's set to "Full", pull it back a notch or two.

Regards,

Neil
Anonymous
June 7, 2005 3:07:25 AM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro (More info?)

"Dik Ledoux" <dikledoux@yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:D 7idnXEPMradBjnfRVn-1Q@megapath.net...

> Win98 doesn't support WDM drivers, just Win2k and later.

Actually, WDM was introduced in Windows 98 Second Edition .... - but then
again ... it is still a 7 year old "OS" ...

http://www.google.com/search?q=WDM+Windows-98-Second-Ed...

/Preben Friis
Anonymous
June 7, 2005 6:14:01 AM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro (More info?)

"Preben Friis" <noone@technologist.com> wrote in message news:42a4bb0d$0$67264$157c6196@dreader2.cybercity.dk...
>
> "Dik Ledoux" <dikledoux@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> news:D 7idnXEPMradBjnfRVn-1Q@megapath.net...
>
> > Win98 doesn't support WDM drivers, just Win2k and later.

> Actually, WDM was introduced in Windows 98 Second Edition


Thanks for covering that. It definitely needed to be said.

> .... - but then again ... it is still a 7 year old "OS" ...

And I love it, because I know it. ;-)


--
David Morgan (MAMS)
http://www.m-a-m-s.com
Morgan Audio Media Service
Dallas, Texas (214) 662-9901
_______________________________________
http://www.artisan-recordingstudio.com
!