Virus problem

addiarmadar

Distinguished
May 26, 2003
I have a comp that appears to have a very persistent virus. After a clean install of windows, it will hose itself within a day. First the Computer will hard crash and lock up suddenly. Then when rebooting, either

C:\windows\system32\system\config
Or
C:\windows\system32\system\software

will be corrupted or missing. I have done a low level format, flooding the drive with zeros, and replaced the hard drive with another and still does the same thing within 24 hours by killing the same windows directory. Also flashed the CMOS for wat little good that does. Could the virus be in the BIOS and pushing itself back to the hard drive? I also heard that an incorrect Serial number would also cause something like this but is this true and why would it not do it instantly? Just sick of the guessing game here. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

soulprovider

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2003
Could be a memory problem causing this by feeding your hard drive corrupt data.

Download Memtest 86 (memt86) and use the bootable flopp it makes to test your RAM.

Other than that I suppose it is possible you hard drive is failing so you'll probably want to run a full surface scan on it.

If you are sure it's a virus though you'll need to scan through all your back ups thoroughly on another machine with the latest virus definitions installed.

<b>Vorsprung durch Dontwerk</b>.....<i>as they say at VIA</i>