Combat Flight Simulator 3 - Won't Start ?!?

Hi !

I have just bougt the CFS3 game and, did install it. Allso
i applied the patch. When i try to start the game i get an
initial picture then the screen goes black and finaly i
get back to windows !

I did upgrade to the latest Nvidia drivers and allso the
latest soundblaster drivers, still the same behaviour.
(Allso changing resolutions etc..)

Allso i tried a clean boot, but it's the same problem.....

The Game won't start for me ?!?!?!?

if i check the event viewer i get some strange error, i
attaches it to the end of this message.

My comupter is a Dell Dimension 8200, 512MB RAM, 2Ghz P4,
Nvidia Geforce FX 5600 (256Mb RAM), Soundblaster audigy.
Allso i have the "Microsoft Bluetooth desktop (mouse and
keyboard)" and a Nostomo n52 game pad. A DVD-R/RW and a
Std DVD reader.

All other games work fine !
(DFBHD/JointOperations/CallofDuty/BF1942 etc etc..)

Please Help !!!
/Reg Johan Smedberg

-----<From the eventviwer>------------------------------
Event Type: Error
Event Source:
Event Category: None
Event ID: 0
Date: 2004-07-12
Time: 20:30:58
User: N/A
Computer: D8200
The description for Event ID ( 0 ) in Source ( ) cannot
be found. The local computer may not have the necessary
registry information or message DLL files to display
messages from a remote computer. You may be able to use
the /AUXSOURCE= flag to retrieve this description; see
Help and Support for details. The following information is
part of the event: 6.
Data:
0000: 3f 3f d1 2a e3 e4 92 2d ??Ñ*ãä’-
0008: ea 33 d9 22 ee e9 9a e5 ê3Ù"îéšå
0010: 2e 2f c1 3a f3 f1 82 3d ./Á:óñ‚=
0018: 2d f3 a8 32 f9 f9 8a 35 -ó¨2ùùŠ5
0020: 1e 1f f1 0a c3 c1 b2 0d ..ñ.ÃÁ².
0028: ba 4c 7f f6 d7 c9 ba 05 ºLö×ɺ.
0030: 0e 2f e1 1a 4b 87 71 ff ./á.K‡qÿ
0038: 06 47 ec 12 db d9 aa 15 .Gì.ÛÙª.
0040: 1e 8a 9d 8b a1 a1 d2 6d .Š‹¡¡Òm
0048: 5e 81 95 83 ab e9 df 65 ^•ƒ«éße
0050: 6e 6f 81 7a b3 e0 fb fe noz³àûþ
0058: 66 67 89 72 bb b9 ca 75 fg‰r»¹Êu

Event Type: Error
Event Source:
Event Category: None
Event ID: 0
Date: 2004-07-12
Time: 20:30:58
User: N/A
Computer: D8200
The description for Event ID ( 0 ) in Source ( ) cannot
be found. The local computer may not have the necessary
registry information or message DLL files to display
messages from a remote computer. You may be able to use
the /AUXSOURCE= flag to retrieve this description; see
Help and Support for details. The following information is
part of the event: 7.
Data:
0000: 71 67 88 72 bb b9 ca 75 qgˆr»¹Êu
0008: 6e 6f 81 7a b3 b1 c2 7d noz³±Â}
0010: 76 77 99 62 ab a9 da 65 vw™b«©Úe
0018: 7e 7f 91 6a a3 a1 d2 6d ~‘j£¡Òm
0020: 46 47 a9 52 9b 99 ea 55 FG©R›™êU
0028: 4e 4f a1 5a 93 91 e2 5d NO¡Z“‘â]
0030: 56 57 b9 42 8b 89 fa 45 VW¹B‹‰úE
0038: 5e 5f b1 4a 83 81 f2 4d ^_±JƒòM
0040: 26 27 c9 32 fb f9 8a 35 &'É2ûùŠ5
0048: 2e 2f c1 3a f3 f1 82 3d ./Á:óñ‚=
0050: 36 37 d9 22 eb e9 9a 25 67Ù"ëéš%
0058: 3e 3f d1 2a e3 e1 92 2d >?Ñ*ãá’-
0060: 06 07 e9 12 db d9 aa 15 ..é.ÛÙª.
0068: 0e 0f e1 1a d3 d1 a2 1d ..á.ÓÑ¢.
0070: 16 17 f9 02 cb c9 ba 05 ..ù.Ëɺ.
0078: 1e 1f f1 0a c3 c1 b2 0d ..ñ.ÃÁ².
0080: e6 e7 09 f2 3b 39 4a f5 æç.ò;9Jõ
0088: ee ef 01 fa 33 31 42 fd îï.ú31Bý
0090: cd f7 19 e2 08 29 5a e5 Í÷.â.)Zå
0098: dd ff 11 ea 23 21 52 ed Ýÿ.ê#!Rí
00a0: c6 0b 3b d6 33 f4 e0 d5 Æ.;Ö3ôàÕ
00a8: b0 cf 26 5a 13 11 62 dd °Ï&Z..bÝ
00b0: d6 d7 79 c2 1b c5 68 c1 Ö×yÂ.ÅhÁ
00b8: d5 0b 50 ca 18 01 72 cd Õ.PÊ..rÍ
00c0: e0 a5 49 b2 9b 94 18 b5 à¥I²›”.µ
00c8: 8d af 41 ba 73 71 02 bd ¯Aºsq.½
00d0: b6 b7 59 a2 6b 69 1a a5 ¶·Y¢ki.¥
00d8: be bf 51 aa 63 61 12 ad ¾¿Qªca.­
00e0: 86 87 69 92 5b 59 2a 95 †‡i’[Y*•
00e8: 8e 8f 61 9a 53 51 22 9d ŽašSQ"
00f0: 96 97 79 82 4b 49 3a 85 –—y‚KI:…
00f8: 9e 9f 71 8a 43 41 32 8d žŸqŠCA2
0100: 66 67 89 72 bb b9 ca 75 fg‰r»¹Êu
0108: 6e 6f 81 7a b3 b1 c2 7d noz³±Â}
0110: 76 77 99 62 ab a9 da 65 vw™b«©Úe
0118: 7e 7f 91 6a a3 a1 d2 6d ~‘j£¡Òm
0120: 46 47 a9 52 9b 99 ea 55 FG©R›™êU
0128: 4e 4f a1 5a 93 91 e2 5d NO¡Z“‘â]
0130: 56 57 b9 42 8b 89 fa 45 VW¹B‹‰úE
0138: 5e 5f b1 4a 83 81 f2 4d ^_±JƒòM
0140: 26 27 c9 32 fb f9 8a 35 &'É2ûùŠ5
0148: 2e 2f c1 3a f3 f1 82 3d ./Á:óñ‚=
0150: 36 37 d9 22 eb e9 9a 25 67Ù"ëéš%
0158: 3e 3f d1 2a e3 e1 92 2d >?Ñ*ãá’-
0160: 06 07 e9 12 db d9 aa 15 ..é.ÛÙª.
0168: 0e 0f e1 1a d3 d1 a2 1d ..á.ÓÑ¢.
0170: 16 17 f9 02 cb c9 ba 05 ..ù.Ëɺ.
0178: 1e 1f f1 0a c3 c1 b2 0d ..ñ.ÃÁ².
0180: e6 e7 09 f2 3b 39 4a f5 æç.ò;9Jõ
0188: ee ef 01 fa 33 31 42 fd îï.ú31Bý
0190: f6 f7 19 e2 2b 29 5a e5 ö÷.â+)Zå
0198: fe ff 11 ea 23 21 52 ed þÿ.ê#!Rí
01a0: c6 c7 29 d2 1b 19 6a d5 ÆÇ)Ò..jÕ
01a8: ce cf 21 da 13 11 62 dd ÎÏ!Ú..bÝ
01b0: d6 d7 39 c2 0b 09 7a c5 Ö×9Â..zÅ
01b8: de df 31 ca 03 01 72 cd Þß1Ê..rÍ
01c0: a6 a7 49 b2 7b 79 0a b5 ¦§I²{y.µ
01c8: ae af 41 ba 73 71 02 bd ®¯Aºsq.½
01d0: b6 b7 59 a2 6b 69 1a a5 ¶·Y¢ki.¥
01d8: be bf 51 aa 63 61 12 ad ¾¿Qªca.­
01e0: 86 87 69 92 5b 59 2a 95 †‡i’[Y*•
01e8: 8e 8f 61 9a 53 51 22 9d ŽašSQ"
01f0: 96 97 79 82 4b 49 3a 85 –—y‚KI:…
01f8: 9e 9f 71 8a 43 41 32 8d žŸqŠCA2
0200: 66 67 89 72 bb b9 ca 75 fg‰r»¹Êu
0208: 6e 6f 81 7a b3 b1 c2 7d noz³±Â}
0210: 76 77 99 62 ab a9 da 65 vw™b«©Úe
0218: 7e 7f 91 6a a3 a1 d2 6d ~‘j£¡Òm
0220: 46 47 a9 52 9b 99 ea 55 FG©R›™êU
0228: 4e 4f a1 5a 93 91 e2 5d NO¡Z“‘â]
0230: 56 57 b9 42 8b 89 fa 45 VW¹B‹‰úE
0238: 5e 5f b1 4a 83 81 f2 4d ^_±JƒòM
0240: 26 27 c9 32 fb f9 8a 35 &'É2ûùŠ5
0248: 2e 2f c1 3a f3 f1 82 3d ./Á:óñ‚=
0250: 36 37 d9 22 eb e9 9a 25 67Ù"ëéš%
0258: 3e 3f d1 2a e3 e1 92 2d >?Ñ*ãá’-
0260: 06 07 e9 12 db d9 aa 15 ..é.ÛÙª.
0268: 0e 0f e1 1a d3 d1 a2 1d ..á.ÓÑ¢.
0270: 16 17 f9 02 cb c9 ba 05 ..ù.Ëɺ.
0278: 1e 1f f1 0a c3 c1 b2 0d ..ñ.ÃÁ².
0280: e6 e7 09 f2 3b 39 4a f5 æç.ò;9Jõ
0288: ee ef 01 fa 33 31 42 fd îï.ú31Bý
0290: f6 f7 19 e2 2b 29 5a e5 ö÷.â+)Zå
0298: fe ff 11 ea 23 21 52 ed þÿ.ê#!Rí
02a0: c6 c7 29 d2 1b 19 6a d5 ÆÇ)Ò..jÕ
02a8: ce cf 21 da 13 11 62 dd ÎÏ!Ú..bÝ
02b0: d6 d7 39 c2 0b 09 7a c5 Ö×9Â..zÅ
02b8: de df 31 ca 03 01 72 cd Þß1Ê..rÍ
02c0: a6 a7 49 b2 7b 79 0a b5 ¦§I²{y.µ
02c8: ae af 41 ba ®¯Aº

"Johan Smedberg" <johan@smedberg.info> wrote in message

<snip> and a Nostomo n52 game pad. <snip>

I don't know anything about that other stuff, but a game pad instead of a
joystick? The game comes with a set up for a joystick, button assignments,
etc. You also didn't mention your os (operating system) - is it Windoz XP?
Some joysticks (and maybe gamepads) need special attention when getting
hooked up (USB port vice Game Port on sound card). Is that game pad USB? You
say your game pad works with other games so, maybe I'm off base, but I have
no other ideas.

Oh, and if you have Windoz XP, I can't help. I have Windoz 98SE and yes, I
can play CFS 3 with only 256 meg RAM and a GEforce MX 400 64 meg card, with
an Athlon 1.4 CPU.

Good luck,
Bumper7

Sorry !

Yes i'm running Windows XP and the gamepad is a USB device
usefull for playing games like CS / DFBHD etc...
I did try to remove it, but it's no difference....

Allso i did remove the MS Bluetooth keyboard and mouse
and replaced it with a standard PS/2 keyboard and mouse.

Did try to reinstall CFS3, but still i can't start it ?!

I just get the splash screen and the the screen goes black
for some seconds and i'm back in windows again....

And then there is 2 more strange errors in the event
log ?!?!(As shown in the first Message.)

Maybe it can't handle a PC with FX5600 and 256MB Video
RAM...

I think i have to return the CFS3 to the store and keep me
off from "Microsoft GameStudios" products...

/Johan

Johan,
A. Buy a joystick.
B. If you give up on CFS 3, swap it for CFS 2 - it's a great game, with many
add on missions and aircraft available online.
C. When you get used to a joystick (complete a campaign in CFS) then your
ready for online gaming and go to http://fighterace.jaleco.com/ and notice
there is a 'Flight School' to get you ready to play. If you want a wingman,
give me a call.

Good luck
Bumper7