Putting 2 different Vendor Harddrive together

raylee011

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I have 2 harddrive, 1, Western Digital 3GB, 2, Maxtor 10GB. Before I install the Maxtor Harddrive, the WD was the master harddrive for the system. Today, I put the Maxtor into the system, and I made the maxtor to be the Master, and WD to be the Slave. For some reason, the BIOS will detect the WD to be the master and Maxtor to be the Slave. I think I did change the Jumper, I put the jump for the maxtor on the 1st slot from the left, and for the WD I think I put it on the 2nd slot. Does anyone know Why.

kinetic_tw

Distinguished
May 29, 2003
Double Check your jumper configurations. There should be a diagram right on the top of the drives to help you out. Afterwards, go into the BIOS and force it to redectect the drives. If the jumpers are set properly, that'll do it.

DaveP

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2002
There is a diagram on the top of the hard drives that tell how to set the jumpers. Without knowing more about your hard drive I can't tell you more about jumper settings, since they are sometimes different from model/model, make/make.
Make sure the master is at the end of the cable and the slave is on the middle connection.
I would use the WD as the master and the maxtor as slave to avoid a new install of the operating system, unless you think the WD is slowly dying on you. It must be pretty old since it's only 3gb.

My Daddy used to tell me:
<b>It's better to keep your mouth shut and let people think you're stupid,
then it is to open your mouth and prove it.</b>
I never was good at taking advice!