Problems booting RedHat 7

mpjesse

Splendid
I download the ISO's to my computer and burned them to 2 CD'
s....I nuked all my partitions on my drive and created one for windows and left another for Linux. I installed RedHat 7 and when it gets to "probe" for the X Windows crap it has problems. After a while it finishes installing and I go to reboot for the first time- but nothing happens. Right after POST the computer just sits there- does nothing. Anyone wanna tell me what the hell i'm doing wrong? It'll boot into Linux with a boot disk- but only into command line. I want to get into the GUI!!!

-MP JEsse

yoda271828

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I dont' know if you did this or not, but Windows must be on the C partition, it won't work properly unless it is (inferiority complex?). Linux will work on any partition. With LILO (LInux LOader) installed on the C drive you can choose to boot Windows or Linux.

I've heard that Red Hat 7.0 is still buggy, so that could be part of your problem. I used SuSE 7.0 and had no installation problems at all. If you try SuSE you'll have to download the eval7.0 ISO. They don't have ISO's for their entire distribution.

G

Boot using Bootdisk and at the command line type this stuff "/sbin/lilo" (no quotes). Tis coz you dont have bootloader installed and this will install it.