DAT tape

Last response: in Home Audio
Share
June 6, 2005 2:21:47 AM

We occasionally still use DAT tape. Have always used and liked the
Quantegy product. 3 questions:

Anybody know if Quantegy is gonna sell DAT tape again?

Am sure that Quantegy's was just a rebranding of someone else's
product. Anyone know who's?

What does anyone here who still uses a lot of DAT tape a year currently
like?

Thanks.

David Correia
Celebration Sound
Warren, Rhode Island

CelebrationSound@aol.com
www.CelebrationSound.com

More about : dat tape

Anonymous
June 6, 2005 2:29:17 AM

david <ihate@spamo.com> wrote:
>We occasionally still use DAT tape. Have always used and liked the
>Quantegy product. 3 questions:
>
>Anybody know if Quantegy is gonna sell DAT tape again?

I don't know. Right now, I am not sure if Quantegy is going to try to
have a complete line or not.

>Am sure that Quantegy's was just a rebranding of someone else's
>product. Anyone know who's?

At one point it was the Fuji tape.

>What does anyone here who still uses a lot of DAT tape a year currently
>like?

I still have about 2,000 of the KAO brand 120 meter DDS tapes left from
a large buy I did in '98. They seemed very solid so I figured I should
stock up.
--scott
June 6, 2005 4:55:25 AM

> What does anyone here who still uses a lot of DAT tape a year currently
> like?

I don't use DAT any more, but when I did, I bought HHB for the most part. I
did pick up a TDK Pro a couple of times and never had an issue with them,
but pretty much stuck to HHB otherwise.
June 6, 2005 11:54:47 AM

In article <050620052221479536%ihate@spamo.com> ihate@spamo.com writes:

> Anybody know if Quantegy is gonna sell DAT tape again?

I would seriously doubt it. The new company is committed to keeping
only profitable products in production.

> Am sure that Quantegy's was just a rebranding of someone else's
> product. Anyone know who's?

I wouldn't be surprised if they didn't make it, but I don't really
know.

> What does anyone here who still uses a lot of DAT tape a year currently
> like?

I've never found any DAT tape that was less than satisfacrory other
than DIC, which didn't stay around long enough to do much damage. And
the problem with DIC was always up front - it just didn't work. Nor
have I found a particularly superior DAT tape. I used to regularly buy
the house brand from Cassette House (I think it was Maxell) and as far
as I know, they still sell it.

June 6, 2005 11:54:48 AM

If nobody is using DAT, then what is the standard for
mixdowns/mastering? CDR? Does anyone have faith in the life expectancy
of CDR's? I'm currently working on setting up my own studio and was
going to go for DAT, maybe I should into something like the Aleisis
Masterlink?
Anonymous
June 6, 2005 1:00:43 PM

<<If nobody is using DAT, then what is the standard for
mixdowns/mastering? >>

Since DAWs, and Pro Tools in particular, have pretty much taken over, I
think most people are mixing into new tracks within the DAW. Many
people still use 44.1/24 bit for their entire project so a simple
dithering down is all that's required for a 16 bit CD. Replication
masters are usually CDRs burned from applications like Jam, Master List
CD or others.

Ted Spencer, NYC
Anonymous
June 6, 2005 1:47:06 PM

Keilan <keilan.knight@gmail.com> wrote:
>If nobody is using DAT, then what is the standard for
>mixdowns/mastering? CDR? Does anyone have faith in the life expectancy
>of CDR's? I'm currently working on setting up my own studio and was
>going to go for DAT, maybe I should into something like the Aleisis
>Masterlink?

Quarter-inch.
It's not expensive, it sounds good, and it maybe even has a future.
--scott
June 6, 2005 3:59:09 PM

On Mon, 6 Jun 2005 09:47:06 -0400, Scott Dorsey wrote
(in article <d81k4q$8ov$1@panix2.panix.com>):

> Keilan <keilan.knight@gmail.com> wrote:
>> If nobody is using DAT, then what is the standard for
>> mixdowns/mastering? CDR? Does anyone have faith in the life expectancy
>> of CDR's? I'm currently working on setting up my own studio and was
>> going to go for DAT, maybe I should into something like the Aleisis
>> Masterlink?
>
> Quarter-inch.
> It's not expensive, it sounds good, and it maybe even has a future.
> --scott

?

Ty Ford

stuff are at www.tyford.com
Anonymous
June 6, 2005 6:17:14 PM

Keilan wrote:
> If nobody is using DAT, then what is the standard for
> mixdowns/mastering? CDR? Does anyone have faith in the life expectancy
> of CDR's? I'm currently working on setting up my own studio and was
> going to go for DAT, maybe I should into something like the Aleisis
> Masterlink?

I still have a Panasonic 3800 DAT for tranfer work, but usually use the
Masterlink for Final Mastering now. I really like the unit. Great value
for the features, etc.

--
--Scot
www.RonnieJamesDio.org

In article <1118065494.963208.21840@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com> keilan.knight@gmail.com writes:

> If nobody is using DAT, then what is the standard for
> mixdowns/mastering? CDR? Does anyone have faith in the life expectancy
> of CDR's?

"mixdown/mastering" is one thing (it's the process). Media on which
you carry the project to the pressing plant is another. I think it's
still in flux, but CD or DVD is probably pretty good bet for a while
anyway. At least we know that the life expectancy of DAT isn't as long
as we had hoped.

Of course there's nothing wroing with analog tape, but it takes a commitment
in time, maintenance, and space, plus the media is more expensive than
dirt. But with a good, well adjusted and maintained tape deck (not you'r Dad's
Akai that you dug out of the attic) you can make good masters that will last
at least 50 years.

June 6, 2005 8:12:14 PM

mrivers@d-and-d.com (Mike Rivers) wrote in news:znr1118054298k@trad:

<snip>

> have I found a particularly superior DAT tape. I used to regularly buy
> the house brand from Cassette House (I think it was Maxell) and as far
> as I know, they still sell it.

Mike, if you mean their MasterDAT, then Cassette House ran out a few months
ago. I've used it regularly too--only complaint was that the shrink wrap
stuck to the case shell on the last batch I got.

Peter A. Stoll
Anonymous
June 7, 2005 12:34:08 AM

In article <Xns966D9AD50CEA4Haifa10Kulim07Michel@216.196.97.138> Lyn1Stoll_spamdel@comcast.net writes:

> Mike, if you mean their MasterDAT, then Cassette House ran out a few months
> ago.

I think I hear a bell tolling.

I see they still sell name brands, including a TDK DDS 60 meter (120
minute) generically packaged DAT that sounds like and is priced about
like their MasterDAT, so it's probably still a good way to go if you
need to stock up.

June 7, 2005 12:45:58 AM

On 6/6/05 9:44 AM, in article
1118065494.963208.21840@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com, "Keilan"
<keilan.knight@gmail.com> wrote:

> If nobody is using DAT, then what is the standard for
> mixdowns/mastering? CDR? Does anyone have faith in the life expectancy
> of CDR's? I'm currently working on setting up my own studio and was
> going to go for DAT, maybe I should into something like the Aleisis
> Masterlink?

http://www.trewaudio.com/nonlinear_primer.htm
Anonymous
June 7, 2005 1:16:07 AM

david wrote:

> We occasionally still use DAT tape. Have always used and liked the
> Quantegy product. 3 questions:
>
> Anybody know if Quantegy is gonna sell DAT tape again?
>
> Am sure that Quantegy's was just a rebranding of someone else's
> product. Anyone know who's?

I understood that their DATs were 467 in a shell, the same formulation
as used for DASH and ProDigi. I.E. their own product not a rebranding.

It is said they'll continue to make 467, so I would say the answer
is 'yes'.

--
JP Morris - aka DOUG the Eagle (Dragon) -=UDIC=- jpm@it-he.org
Fun things to do with the Ultima games http://www.it-he.org

We use Maxell DDS tapes now (HS-4/60S), in 60 meter length, which is 2
hours as audio. They are half the price of Maxell's pro audio DATs (125
minute) and we have had no issues. Except the dang shrinkwrap on the DDS
boxes are hell to undo.

We have gotten random dropouts from tapes more than about 5 years old from
all brands.

!