PC Rebooting on SOME games

Azumi123

Honorable
Jul 11, 2012
Hi All,
I have a very strange problem which has been occurring recently. I will explain what has happened up until now:
I have recently bought a GTX580 and a 650W cheap PSU. Within a week the PSU has died so I decided to invest in a much better PSU rated at 700W with 58A on the 12v rail and a 800W MAX output. I paid a good sum for this PSU (nearly 200$ or 19,800yen) so I figured it would run the GTX 580 sufficiently and it has been doing. I have thoroughly enjoyed playing games such as Sniper Elite 2, Battlefield 3 and so on. However, on a couple of games the PC reboots seemingly at random. Those games are:
Call of Juarez
Collin Mccrae Dirt 2
I figured it could be the usual suspects: heat, voltage etc so I ran a few tests. Including: Allowing the "Stone Giant" demo to run for an hour or so. Playing through Sniper Elite 2 with max settings for a couple of hours. Stress testing the card with several utilities including AIDA64 for hours on end (8 hours while I went to work). Looking at the log files the temperature never went over 87c during the entire time and the voltage never dipped below 12.234v on the 12v rail. The PC was still running the stress test when I returned home so no reboots had occurred so I did the same with the CPU and got the same results. 3DMark11 also benchmarks without fault.The last thing to do was memtest86 which had several passes and found nothing. So I am stumped as to what the problem could be.
I have recently bought this PC as a "bare bones" system, brand new, and have replaced nearly all the parts apart from Mainboard and HDD. On the HDD when I first purchased the PC was Windows 7 Home Premium. I own a copy of 7 ultimate so I decided to remove premium and install ultimate. Before doing this I ran a test on home premium to see what the system score is via computer properties. When the test got to Direct X 9 ALU, the machine rebooted it's self. However, after installing Ultimate, this is no longer an problem and the test completes successfully. I thought that might have removed some of the randomness to the reboots but it hasn't.
Anybody heard of this problem before? any solutions?

SPEC:
Core i5 3.0 @ 3.0
GTX580 1.5gb not over clocked
16GB Generic RAM
1TB Samsung Disc
Unknown Mainboard based on P67
700W 58A PSU
Windows 7 Ultimate

Thanks in advance for any help you can give and my apologies for my bad english ;)

Azumi123

Honorable
Jul 11, 2012
Just an update to this problem.
After experimentation I have found that the following will resolve the crash issue with Call of Juarez:

Access the Nvidia Control Panel
In the "Manage 3D Settings" menu on the left change the settings for the global tab to the following:

Ambient Occlusion : Quality
Anisotropic Filtering : 8x
Anti-aliasing FXAA: Off
Anti-aliasing Gamma Correction : On
Anti-aliasing Mode : Override any application setting
Anti-aliasing Setting : 4x
Anti-aliasing Transparency : 2x (supersample)
CUDA GPU's : All
Maximum Prerender Frames : Use 3D Application Setting
Multi Display / Mixed-GPU Acceleration : Single Display Performance Mode
Power Management Mode : Prefer Maximum Performance
Texture Filtering : Negative LOD bias : Clamp
Texture Filtering Quality : High Quality
Threaded Optimization : On
Triple Buffering : Off
VSync : Application Controlled

Not all of these settings are available in the individual program settings and attempting to only adjust for the program it's self still results in the same reboot.
Rolling back the driver caused the ALU test to reboot the machine again, moving the driver back up to the latest beta (currently 304.79) resolved this problem.
Need for speed carbon still remains a problem and after some research it seems to be a common issue with modern, high end Geforce (GTX 480 or above) cards.
I took the card it's self to a friend's house and tested it in his machine, equipped with a 1300W Corsair PSU, same problems occurred. I then took the card back to the shop and replaced it with a new one. Got home to find the same issue on the new card. This lead me to believe it could be a generic issue with the GTX580 (GF110) and this is why I decided to play with software configuration settings.
Not sure about Dirt 2 as I have no re-installed that yet but Assassins Creed Brotherhood ran fine as well as Sniper Elite 2, C&C Generals, Black and White 2, 3DMark 11, 3DMark Vantage.
L.A Noire causes a reboot when certain reflective surfaces appear. Lowering the settings for texture quality and leaving the rest at the highest settings, removes this issue.
It remains a mystery to me as to exactly why these frequent reboots are occurring but I will eliminate possible elements such as PSU and Mainboard as soon as money allows for it. Will keep posting on progress, maybe somebody will find it useful.

Azumi123

Honorable
Jul 11, 2012
Another update:
Swapped out the power supply. Previously, during the above posts, I was using a power supply made by a company called "Kurotoshiko". This is a fairly popular company for video cards and power supplies here in Japan. The PSU claimed to be the following:
700w (800 MAX)
80 Plus Silver standard
58A on the 12v Rail

In reality, after testing with a friend's equipment, it was going in to overload protection at 513 watts total load. Taking in to consideration the total required when stressing this machine is 604 watts and the fact that seriously under-clocking the GPU resolved the issue (and I mean around 80% under-clock on core and memory), I concluded that it was the PSU at fault. Sure enough, changing the PSU today, to a Corsair TX850 has solved the issue. ALU test runs fine and drivers can be set back to default to run all games at max settings without rebooting.

MaestroTech

Honorable
Dec 26, 2012

Hey Azumi, I'm actually having the same issue. Do you think you could contact me so we can chat? I'm available via Skype, Google Hangout, or by email.

Thanks!