ATI X800XT & FS2004 -- bliss at last...

Having asked around for information about frame rates with the X800XT and
getting zero responses, I decided to just go get the video card and see for
myself.

I had an ATI 9800 Pro 128MB and now have the ATI X800XT 256MB. My initial
response, this card can take A LOT -- currently running at 1600 x 1200 with
AA 2X and AF 8X, multi layered clouds at 100%, ground shadows and aircraft
shadows, textures is a couple of notches from max, with a locked frame rate
at 30 on the active runway at Heathrow frames rates were steady on 30 with
occassional drops to 28-29 (panning via virtual cockpit). Even flying thru
the multi-layered clouds didn't do anything to frame rates. Exterior
scrolling is fast, very fast -- no delays while it draws a view's distant
scenery.

This video card has improved my frame rates in FS2004 by a factor or 4X or
more -- obviously FS2004 is very much slave to the video card.

Rob.

Good info. How much for total job?

Regards...

$600 but I believe BestBuy sell them for $500 now.

> Good info. How much for total job?
>
> Regards...

Did you have to upgrade any other part of your computer
system, like maybe the power supply? Mine is 250W and
card requires 350W or more.

Regards...

I didn't update any other part of my system, just the video card to X800XT.
But, I already have a good power supply, 550Watt True Power (water cooled
Koolance case). I have a P4 3Ghz running at 3.41 Ghz with 800 FSB (Asus
motherboard). I would opt for at least a True power 420 Watt or higher and
be sure to use a good quality brand like Antec (True power series), EnerMax,
PC Power & Cooling.

Just to update you, I'm now running 1600 x 1200 with 4X AA and 16X AF and
still retaining minimum 30 fps -- I discovered that turning my AutoGen
scenery down to sparse made a huge improvement and really doesn't take away
any visuals (a few less random trees and houses in the suburban areas).

> Did you have to upgrade any other part of your computer
> system, like maybe the power supply? Mine is 250W and
> card requires 350W or more.
>
> Regards...

Good info...thanx