Goverment_of_BC

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2003
How good is onboard raid compared to a dedicated PCI raid card (when hard drives are configured in Raid 0)? anybody know a site that does a comparison?

svol

Champion
If they use the same RAID controller chip they will perform the same. An onboard device is nothing more then a PCI card integrated onto your mobo.

My CPU fan spins so fast that it creates a wormhole :eek:

unoc

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2002
The performances are the same, usually, the only difference is the possibility to modify some controller option (particularly the stripesize) with the PCI card.
Moreover the onboard raid controller should use the drivers released by the motherboard manufacturer, while the PCI RAID card can use the drivers supplied by the RAID controller manufacturer.

______________________ <font color=red>A straight line never ends……………….until it comes up against a vicious circle</font color=red>

JP5

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2003
Onboard controller chips are NOT as good as standalone RAID cards.

Here is a THG article on it:
<A HREF="http://www6.tomshardware.com/storage/20021112/index.html" target="_new">http://www6.tomshardware.com/storage/20021112/index.html</A>

The only exception is the new ICH5R chip on the Springdale/Canterwood boards.

TheChosenOne

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2003
I have to disagree with your posting of that article, that was back in November 2002. They were using old pIII at 1.0GHz. I think that onboard RAID has come a very long way since then. The onboard chips on the Springdale and Canterwood are some of the best in the industry. If you are going with an AMD processor or already have one though I do not know much about them. I do know that the Highpoint Rocket Raid cards are probably the best for your buck.

p4 2.8c HT 1GB Corsair XMS pc3200 ASUS P4C800 Deluxe GeForce 4 Ti 4200 128MB

svol

Champion
There is absolute NO difference between a, say, Highpoint 372 onboard RAID and the Highpoint RocketRAID 133CH (also HPT372). They use the same drivers, only the card uses its own BIOS while the BIOS for the onboard RAID is embedded into the system BIOS... usely they are the same version though.

You're talking about southbridge integrated RAID which used to suck but is now getting better.

My CPU fan spins so fast that it creates a wormhole :eek:

TRENDING THREADS