DVD drive for ripping and movies.

Yonghl

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2003
Hi, could anybody give me any advice on which brands, models would be ideal for watching movies(all regions if possible) and ripping? I know lite-on, sony, lg and so on are good drives but haven't been able to find any reviews over their performance, especially these areas.

phsstpok

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
Don't know the answer as to which drive is best but <A HREF="http://www.vcdhelp.com" target="_new">VCDHelp.com</A> is a good site for info on DVD ripping.

Their forums might even have the answer to your question.

<b>56K, slow and steady does not win the race on internet!</b><P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by phsstpok on 07/01/03 12:23 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

elzt

Distinguished
May 10, 2002
There are lot of brands and models of DVD drives that do a pretty good job playing DVD movies and ripping, but one drive that I recommend and have good experience using is LiteOn 16X DVD-ROM drive. First of all, the LiteOn spins at very low RPMs (about 1X) during movies playback. This gives almost silent operation in comparison to other brands which run at full spindle speeds while playing DVD movies. Also, the LiteOn has one of the quickest digital audio extraction performance among all DVD and CD-ROM drives. I believe it should also do the same good job in DVD ripping.

Most DVD drives are set to (or will be set to, after 5 times of change) the region that the users are in. Some drives, like LiteOn's, allows users to patch the firmware to make them region free.

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
yeah, just about any brand will do DVD ripping, its not hard really.
Just at varying prices and speeds.

The liteon 16x is one of the better units around, fast, not too loud and pretty affordable.

<b>My CPU is so powerful its faster than Melb_Angel's Laptop!</b> :eek: <i>(Plus it's not pink)</i>