Hum in Drawmer 1960

Status
Not open for further replies.

I purchased a used Drawmer 1960 on ebay, and there seems to be a pretty
serious hum that comes through in the audio. You can even hear it when the
unit is not connected to anything -- i.e. when you plug it in and turn it
on, the unit itself produces an audible hum.
Any ideas as to what might be causing this?
Thanks!!!

On Tue, 7 Jun 2005 17:13:19 -0400, in rec.audio.pro "Fred Mann"
<fredmann@bellsouth.net> wrote:

>I purchased a used Drawmer 1960 on ebay, and there seems to be a pretty
>serious hum that comes through in the audio. You can even hear it when the
>unit is not connected to anything -- i.e. when you plug it in and turn it
>on, the unit itself produces an audible hum.
>Any ideas as to what might be causing this?
>Thanks!!!

Dead capacitors in the power supply would be my first guess.
next would be a shorted turn in a power transformer, unlikely though

martin

In article <__npe.63059$lQ3.4290@bignews5.bellsouth.net> fredmann@bellsouth.net writes:

> I purchased a used Drawmer 1960 on ebay, and there seems to be a pretty
> serious hum that comes through in the audio. You can even hear it when the
> unit is not connected to anything -- i.e. when you plug it in and turn it
> on, the unit itself produces an audible hum.
> Any ideas as to what might be causing this?

Yes. The seller sold you defective merchandise. Deal with him. For every
bad deal like this a dozen people will come back and say that they've
always bought great stuff through eBay. Hope you didn't buy from a jerk.

Sounds like mains tranformer hum.

I have a couple of units that did it too.

Felt pads between the transformer top and the unit's top cover usually
dampens the vibration.

Could be a totally different problem of course...

JP

"Fred Mann" <fredmann@bellsouth.net> wrote in message
>I purchased a used Drawmer 1960 on ebay, and there seems to be a pretty
> serious hum that comes through in the audio. You can even hear it when the
> unit is not connected to anything -- i.e. when you plug it in and turn it
> on, the unit itself produces an audible hum.
> Any ideas as to what might be causing this?
> Thanks!!!

It could be a power supply fault that is absorbing a lot of current but not
enough to blow a fuse. This would give ripple on the supply rails and the
transformer would vibrate more than ususal.
Or it could just have a noisy transformer anyway AND bad supply caps as
suggested by other posters.

Gareth.