Palm Vx -> Tungsten E migration. Is it that easy ?

July 13, 2004 2:17:30 AM

Hi,

My wife has an old Palm Vx which has not been sync'd for many years ,
and we may no longer have the desktop CD.

She also now has a Tungsten E.

Can I simply :

1) Install the Tungsten Desktop on a PC

2) set sync to serial, connect the Palm Vx cardle and sync

3) set sync to USB, connect the Tungsten and cable

4) sync

?

Or do I have to locate the original desktop, sync, upgrade , sync
again

Many thanks
Anonymous
July 13, 2004 9:38:35 AM

In article <4615e86e.0407122117.7b32f258@posting.google.com>,
jives@uk.oracle.com (Jonathan Ives) wrote:

> Hi,
>
> My wife has an old Palm Vx which has not been sync'd for many years ,
> and we may no longer have the desktop CD.
>
> She also now has a Tungsten E.
>
> Can I simply :
>
> 1) Install the Tungsten Desktop on a PC
>
> 2) set sync to serial, connect the Palm Vx cardle and sync
>
> 3) set sync to USB, connect the Tungsten and cable
>
> 4) sync
>

> ?
>

> Or do I have to locate the original desktop, sync, upgrade , sync
> again

It's easy. Check www.palmone.com, under Support, for step-by-step
instructions on migrating from the Pam Vx to the T|E.
Anonymous
July 13, 2004 12:10:20 PM

jives@uk.oracle.com (Jonathan Ives) wrote in

> Can I simply :
>
> 1) Install the Tungsten Desktop on a PC
> 2) set sync to serial, connect the Palm Vx cardle and sync
> 3) set sync to USB, connect the Tungsten and cable
> 4) sync

Actually, it's even easier. You can set the hotsync manager to
both serial and USB, and you don't need to bother with it again.
You obviously have to have both the serial cradle and the USB
cable connected in order to sync both, but just plug in either
Palm and sync it. You do have to have different names for the
two Palms, though, and the data won't be transferred between
them. If you need the data from the Vx on the T|E, check the
PalmOne site for detailed instructions. After the initial
syncs, then you just do normal hotsyncs whenever you want.

--
Regards,

Stan
July 13, 2004 12:54:18 PM

+On 12 Jul 2004 22:17:30 -0700, jives@uk.oracle.com (Jonathan Ives)
wrote:

>She also now has a Tungsten E.
>
>Can I simply :
>
>1) Install the Tungsten Desktop on a PC
>
>2) set sync to serial, connect the Palm Vx cardle and sync
>
>3) set sync to USB, connect the Tungsten and cable
>
>4) sync

I just converted from a Palm IIIxe to a Zire 72, and it was easy. I
hotsynced the IIIxe one last time, connected up the 72, used the same
name as the IIIxe, and voila! A few older apps didn't work any more,
but that's normal. Dunno if there are specific problems with the V or
Tungsten.

July 14, 2004 2:38:32 AM

Neil Maxwell <neil.maxwell@intel.com> wrote in message news:<i618f05gu2l6uejrp0mnrda2u968824mr7@4ax.com>...
> +On 12 Jul 2004 22:17:30 -0700, jives@uk.oracle.com (Jonathan Ives)
> wrote:
>
> >She also now has a Tungsten E.
> >
> >Can I simply :
> >
> >1) Install the Tungsten Desktop on a PC
> >
> >2) set sync to serial, connect the Palm Vx cardle and sync
> >
> >3) set sync to USB, connect the Tungsten and cable
> >
> >4) sync
>
> I just converted from a Palm IIIxe to a Zire 72, and it was easy. I
> hotsynced the IIIxe one last time, connected up the 72, used the same
> name as the IIIxe, and voila! A few older apps didn't work any more,
> but that's normal. Dunno if there are specific problems with the V or
> Tungsten.

Thanks to all.

Question : when you sync'd the old IIIxe was that with the new Desktop
or the old one ?
Anonymous
July 14, 2004 6:46:49 PM

On 13 Jul 2004 22:38:32 -0700, jives@uk.oracle.com (Jonathan Ives)
wrote:
>Neil Maxwell <neil.maxwell@intel.com> wrote in message news:<i618f05gu2l6uejrp0mnrda2u968824mr7@4ax.com>...

>> I just converted from a Palm IIIxe to a Zire 72, and it was easy. I
>> hotsynced the IIIxe one last time, connected up the 72, used the same
>> name as the IIIxe, and voila! A few older apps didn't work any more,
>> but that's normal. Dunno if there are specific problems with the V or
>> Tungsten.
>
>Thanks to all.
>
>Question : when you sync'd the old IIIxe was that with the new Desktop
> or the old one ?

It was with the old desktop (don't remember the version), but the new
version (4.1.4) also supports the III and the V series. I would
imagine you could install the new desktop, sync your old Palm, then
sync your new one, and it would work the same. My old serial cradle
appears to still be active, according to Hotsync.