MN 820 - Can Ping, Can't Browse

RB

I recently upgraded my wirless laptop from Win2000 to XP
Pro for stability reasons - now I can't get the machine to
connect completely.

- I have the latest firmware etc.
- The WEP is accepted when I run Setup
- The machine connects to the Workgroup
- I can ping external sites (google.com, cnn.com) and MSN
Messenger automatically tries to connect
- However, I am unable to browse using IE 6.0.

Any ideas what might need to be changed? Thanks!

A couple things you may want to check: (1) In Internet
Explorer/Tools/Internet Options/Connections, make sure you have no dial-up
or proxy settings listed; (2) Go to Network Connections, right-click the
icon representing your LAN and select Properties. Go to the Wireless
Networks tab and select the Advanced button at the bottom. Make sure there
is a dot in the radial next to Access point (infrastructure) networks only.
--
Chris H.
Microsoft Windows MVP

"RB" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I recently upgraded my wirless laptop from Win2000 to XP
> Pro for stability reasons - now I can't get the machine to
> connect completely.
>
> - I have the latest firmware etc.
> - The WEP is accepted when I run Setup
> - The machine connects to the Workgroup
> - I can ping external sites (google.com, cnn.com) and MSN
> Messenger automatically tries to connect
> - However, I am unable to browse using IE 6.0.
>
> Any ideas what might need to be changed? Thanks!

RB

Thanks for the response - I think we might be getting
somewhere with #2 - when I look at the proerties for the
LAN connection, I don't see a Wireless networks tab - only
General and Advanced. Did something go wrong during setup?