Small Stereo mic for minidisc

Last response: in Home Audio
Share
June 8, 2005 7:00:56 AM

Hello there,

I recently purchased a Sony Minidisc recorder - model VZ-N520 - and
purchased a small Sony ECM DS70p clip-on stereo back electret
microphone for it.

Unfortunately, I discovered that the model of minidisc recorder will
not provide power for such mics from its input socket.

Does anyone know of a suitable small stereo microphone, which runs off
its own battery, or whether there is a suitable small pre-amplifier on
the market that will allow me to power the ECM DS70p?

I am aware of a number of microphones and pre-amps that will do the
job, but as I wish to use the minidisc recorder for dictation and
interviews, size (for once) is important.

Thank you,

WAL
Anonymous
June 8, 2005 4:40:27 PM

WAL wrote:
> Hello there,
>
> I recently purchased a Sony Minidisc recorder - model VZ-N520

No such thing listed here:
http://www.minidisc.org/equipment_browser.html

If you mean the MZ-NF520, it doesn't have a mic input. (not just lacking
power for a mic, the only input is has is line level)
Your best option is to return it and exchange for one that does have a
mic input if you can.

> Does anyone know of a suitable small stereo microphone, which runs off
> its own battery

Won't help as explained above...
A preamp will do what you want, but...

> as I wish to use the minidisc recorder for dictation and
> interviews, size (for once) is important.

You really need a recorder with a mic socket!
They all used to do - I've heard that many Sony models don't now, which
is absurd to me - if there's one thing MD is good for it's for portable
live recording!

Anahata
Anonymous
June 8, 2005 4:40:28 PM

"Anahata" <anahata@treewind.co.uk> wrote in message
> WAL wrote:
>> Hello there,
>>
>> I recently purchased a Sony Minidisc recorder - model VZ-N520
>
> No such thing listed here:
> http://www.minidisc.org/equipment_browser.html
>
> If you mean the MZ-NF520, it doesn't have a mic input. (not just
> lacking power for a mic, the only input is has is line level)
> Your best option is to return it and exchange for one that does have a
> mic input if you can.
>
>> Does anyone know of a suitable small stereo microphone, which runs
>> off
>> its own battery
>
> Won't help as explained above...
> A preamp will do what you want, but...
>
>> as I wish to use the minidisc recorder for dictation and
>> interviews, size (for once) is important.
>
> You really need a recorder with a mic socket!
> They all used to do - I've heard that many Sony models don't now,
> which is absurd to me - if there's one thing MD is good for it's for
> portable live recording!

Which appears to be exactly what Sony does NOT want you
to use them for. to wit...

"...a considerable number of visitors are under the misconception
that Minidisc equipment can be used for recording live audio
material and subsequently uploading this audio easily onto a
computer. This is unfortunately not the case; Sony has steadfastly
refused to provide an easy computer upload path for Minidisc
audio, ..."

http://www.minidisc.org/uploader_table.html

Now that they are a music label, perhaps they think they are
thwarting the competition? :-)
June 8, 2005 5:11:36 PM

WAL wrote:
> Hello there,
>
> I recently purchased a Sony Minidisc recorder - model VZ-N520 - and
> purchased a small Sony ECM DS70p clip-on stereo back electret
> microphone for it.
>
> Unfortunately, I discovered that the model of minidisc recorder will
> not provide power for such mics from its input socket.
>
> Does anyone know of a suitable small stereo microphone, which runs off
> its own battery, or whether there is a suitable small pre-amplifier on
> the market that will allow me to power the ECM DS70p?
>
> I am aware of a number of microphones and pre-amps that will do the
> job, but as I wish to use the minidisc recorder for dictation and
> interviews, size (for once) is important.

For this, the Sony ECM-MS907 is about perfect. It is self
powered, mid/side for mono compatability (sum the channels
for accurate mono) and quite flat over the frequency region
of interest to your application.

It can be found for around $80.

Bob

simpler."

A. Einstein
Anonymous
June 8, 2005 5:21:23 PM

Richard Crowley wrote:

> Which appears to be exactly what Sony does NOT want you
> to use them for. to wit...
>
> "...a considerable number of visitors are under the misconception
> that Minidisc equipment can be used for recording live audio
> material and subsequently uploading this audio easily onto a
> computer. This is unfortunately not the case; Sony has steadfastly
> refused to provide an easy computer upload path for Minidisc
> audio, ..."

The newer Hi-MD do make this a lot easier but there are a
few caveats. It prevents you from digitally uploading more
than twice by erasing it from the medium after the second
digital upload (even if "write-protected".)

If you do a second and subsequent uploads by playing the
recording from the device through your computer using the
Sony app that comes with it, you can capture it
"bit-perfect" with an application like Total Recorder in
real time. This is not as bad as it seems because even the
"high-speed" upload is not a whole lot faster than real time
due to the limited bandwidth of the medium itself.

Bob

simpler."

A. Einstein
Anonymous
June 8, 2005 6:48:10 PM

"WAL" <wadea.lowther@btopenworld.com> wrote in message
> Hello there,
>
> I recently purchased a Sony Minidisc recorder - model VZ-N520 - and
> purchased a small Sony ECM DS70p clip-on stereo back electret
> microphone for it.
>
> Unfortunately, I discovered that the model of minidisc recorder will
> not provide power for such mics from its input socket.
>
> Does anyone know of a suitable small stereo microphone, which runs off
> its own battery, or whether there is a suitable small pre-amplifier on
> the market that will allow me to power the ECM DS70p?
>
> I am aware of a number of microphones and pre-amps that will do the
> job, but as I wish to use the minidisc recorder for dictation and
> interviews, size (for once) is important.
>
> Thank you,
>
> WAL

http://stores.ebay.ca/CHURCH-AUDIO
These guys make a reportedly good sounding simple preamp that also provides
mic power, better yet 9V instead of the 5V you get from MD recorders. It's
got the features and compactness that tapers need, nothing more, nothing
less.
Anonymous
June 8, 2005 6:48:11 PM

Zigakly wrote:

> http://stores.ebay.ca/CHURCH-AUDIO
> These guys make a reportedly good sounding simple preamp that also provides
> mic power, better yet 9V instead of the 5V you get from MD recorders. It's
> got the features and compactness that tapers need, nothing more, nothing
> less.

Keep in mind that the plug-in-power provided by the devices
with mic-in is more than adequate to drive the input
circuitry to its rather meager analog clip level.

Bob

simpler."

A. Einstein
!