Submixing drums on a mackie cr1604

Last response: in Home Audio
June 8, 2005 12:24:45 PM

Hello,
I have to record drums on a mackie cr1604. I'm planning on using 4 mics
kick, snare, 2ovhds. The drums will be tracked with the mackies
preamps...The other istruments will be tracked using external preamps.
My question is what is the cleanest way to get the drums down to a
stereo track? would it be best to just use the stereo outs on the
mackie and send the drums to 2 tracks on my da38?..or use the alt 3/4?
or track then bounce. Also when If I would just use the stereo outs on
the mackie would it be kick and snare up the middle and hard pans on
the overheads? would that still give me control over the drums during
mixing? simple questions but I've really just recorded myself and
rarely used a full drum kit.
any help appreciated,
brian
Anonymous
June 8, 2005 4:54:30 PM

Submixing prior to tape is one of those "Gee, I wish I'd done this
differently" situations. If you can't spare four tracks for the drums
then yes use the stereo outputs to the DA-38. Kick and snare up the
middle and the overheads hard left and right. Check and double check
the levels because you can't change the drum mix later.
Anonymous
June 8, 2005 5:25:07 PM

yes it's a commitment but I am pressed for tracks. 2gts and bass and
then vocals and bkgrnd voxs . I'd like to keep the guitars seperate so
I can pan them...The mackie is a little difficult. The advice of
keeping the levels low is great. I've noticed that gain staging is very
crucial on a board like that because you run out of headoom really
quickly. It is what it is and I ain't fooling myself..but it's
workable. And as they say if 'you can't be with the one you love, love
the one you're with" I guess? Thanks for the tips.
Brian
June 8, 2005 7:10:05 PM

You will also have to commit to eq'ing the mic inputs at the Mackie
because I doubt you'll find a "one eq fits all" for the finished stereo
tracks in remix.
Anonymous
June 8, 2005 7:55:47 PM

In article <1118244285.272386.34560@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com> vivacaramel@hotmail.com writes:

> I have to record drums on a mackie cr1604. I'm planning on using 4 mics
> kick, snare, 2ovhds. The drums will be tracked with the mackies
> preamps...

> My question is what is the cleanest way to get the drums down to a
> stereo track? would it be best to just use the stereo outs on the
> mackie and send the drums to 2 tracks on my da38?..or use the alt 3/4?

Using the alt 3/4 outputs might be a little cleaner, but it probalby
makes little difference. I'd have to look at the service manual to be
know for sure if it actually bypasses any electronics. The thing that
will make the most difference is to keep the levels pretty low. Follow
the "Mackie Level Setting Procedures" (solo the chanel and set the
trim so the meter reads 0 on peaks) conservatively and keep the
channel levels low enough so that with the main fader (if you're using
the main outputs) set to the unity gain position, the meter rarely
goes above 0 on peaks.

If you're worried about your recording not being "hot enough" then
connect the Mackie outputs to the -10 dBV inputs (RCA jacks) on the
DA-38.

June 9, 2005 12:47:32 PM

thadjanus wrote:
> Hello,
> I have to record drums on a mackie cr1604. I'm planning on using 4 mics
> kick, snare, 2ovhds. The drums will be tracked with the mackies
> preamps...The other istruments will be tracked using external preamps.
> My question is what is the cleanest way to get the drums down to a
> stereo track? would it be best to just use the stereo outs on the
> mackie and send the drums to 2 tracks on my da38?..or use the alt 3/4?
> or track then bounce. Also when If I would just use the stereo outs on
> the mackie would it be kick and snare up the middle and hard pans on
> the overheads? would that still give me control over the drums during
> mixing? simple questions but I've really just recorded myself and
> rarely used a full drum kit.
> any help appreciated,
> brian

I use the Tascam system (DA88's) and you really should give four tracks to this. I did some tracking
about nine years ago and wish I had multi-tracked the kit instead of just mixing it to stereo.

You cannot undo stuff like this. Better to have to rent a second DA38 for mixdown than to wish you
had tracked the kit properly.

--fletch
Anonymous
June 9, 2005 3:21:55 PM

well I think you all are right. Unfortunately I'm stuck with 8tracks.
But I am going to ask around and see if I can borrow another 38 to get
it done...If I can't I may have to figure out what works best.
Commiting to the stereo drums may not be the smartest place to save
tracks.Thanks for the replies.
Brian
Anonymous
June 10, 2005 12:51:52 AM

In article <1118341315.440099.41090@g44g2000cwa.googlegroups.com> vivacaramel@hotmail.com writes:

> Commiting to the stereo drums may not be the smartest place to save
> tracks.Thanks for the replies.

Why not just put up two or three mics on the drums and tell the
drummer to make it sound good? If there are special things that the
drummer does that are important parts of the song - tom rolls, for
example, or little pretty percussion toys - you might be able to find
empty spaces on other tracks to overdub them later on.

If what you want is a good drum sound to keep rhythm, you don't need
to worry that you might need to EQ the snare a little differently
later on. It's nice if you can, but lots of good recordings were made
with fewer than 8 tracks.

June 10, 2005 11:15:33 AM

well submixing the overheads to mono? bad idea? or is it just smarter
to use a single overhead? I guess it will become apparent through
experimenting with the sounds If I can't get a hold of another da38 ..I
could get away with 3tracks for drums...why or when did 8tracks become
the standard or multiples of 8( 16, 24) etc. ?I always wondered that.
12tracks would be ideal.
thanks again fro the replies,
brian
Anonymous
June 10, 2005 11:49:20 AM

Hi,
Personally I would put the bass drum on one track and the rest of the
kit on another. I've seen multitracks with the kit on one track it
still sounded cool.
Be fearless, if it sounds good it must be good.
Mono overhead always seems to work better for me.
DS
Anonymous
June 10, 2005 2:27:29 PM

thadjanus <vivacaramel@hotmail.com> wrote:
>well submixing the overheads to mono? bad idea? or is it just smarter
>to use a single overhead? I guess it will become apparent through
>experimenting with the sounds If I can't get a hold of another da38 ..I
>could get away with 3tracks for drums...why or when did 8tracks become
>the standard or multiples of 8( 16, 24) etc. ?I always wondered that.
>12tracks would be ideal.

Submixing to one or two channels is just fine if you do it right, and
it's a bad idea if you do it wrong.

I recommend trying it, and practicing, because it will help you learn
to do it right the first time. This is a skill you will find useful
even when you have many more tracks to work with.
--scott
June 10, 2005 8:08:45 PM

In article <1118412933.607225.187210@o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com> vivacaramel@hotmail.com writes:

> well submixing the overheads to mono? bad idea? or is it just smarter
> to use a single overhead?

I'd be inclined to use a single overhead mic if you were mixing the
drums to mono.

> ...why or when did 8tracks become
> the standard or multiples of 8( 16, 24) etc. ?I always wondered that.
> 12tracks would be ideal.

There was a 12-track format at one time, Scully, I believe. Also, Akai
made a 12-track and later 14-track recorder that used 1/2" tape in
Beta cassettes, and also a 12-track digital that used a videotape
format. Many 24-track hard disk recorders become 12-track recorders
when running at 96 kHz sample rate. So it's not so strange.

I think we got to 8-track increments because we went from 2 tracks on
1/4" tape to 4 tracks on 1/2" tape to 8 tracks on 1" tape, to 16
tracks on 2" tape. 24 tracks on 2" tape was a bit of a squeeze, but
met the demands of producers at the time.